• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

An S1000 ADV!!??

An "adventure" bike designed for being entirely on road. Interesting. They should make it into a full on supermoto.

Indeed Kent. This will be a BMW multistrada. I am really excited about it. Especially if comes in around $17k. Which it should.

adventure or standard?

Seems to me that the GS and all the other versions are appealing to folks who like me, want a standard type bike that is versatile and can be morphed into anything from an off road type (GSA) to a bike that can be fitted with huge bags and trunk, loaded to the gills and used as a touring platform. I think it is a great idea.

Saving up for one.
Can't wait.
Well I can't but my bank account must.

I thought about you when reading about this bike.

There are so many people who want an adventure bike solely for the upright seating and the longer-travel suspension. Tuned right, I am sure this bike will be phenomal, and could weigh less than the flat twin GS.

Ian

I thought about you when reading about this bike.

There are so many people who want an adventure bike solely for the upright seating and the longer-travel suspension. Tuned right, I am sure this bike will be phenomal, and could weigh less than the flat twin GS.

Ian

Tuning will be the key to the success of this bike in my book. The focus for many has been around the 150-160hp reported in the various spy releases. That number is a side issue for me. How BMW bends the torque curve and where it is delivered will be key.

The ergonomics of a GS or SM are great for the urban rider. The chassis and suspension hopefully will deliver agile handling. Combine the two properly and you have a fun bike to canyon carve with. The size of the bike and the weight will determine how much fun it is in those settings and the trip between them.

Sign me up for the S1000GS/ADV/F/whatever

In my quest for the "one" motorcycle for my garage, I have gone through: R1100S Boxer Cup, R1200GS (2005), S1000RR (2011), R1200GS (2013). I like spirited canyon riding, and occasionally group rides with the wife riding pillion. I loved the S1000RR, but I even took out the passenger seat as it was unusable for anything longer than three blocks. So I ended up buying an R1200GS for group rides, and then had to sell one of my two bikes. After much pain, the RR had to go, and so I am back to ONE bike. The old GS (last of the air-cooled models) holds its own against the sportbikes, although I probably look very funny riding it in full leathers.

So I had been looking with envious eyes at the new R12GS W/C, thinking that one could the the ONE. Noticeable power increase, and a real rear tire to boot (wider, I mean, than the bicycle tire on mine). I was already counting pennies, when this news appears. The new S1000R still seems very "passenger unfriendly", and the R1200RT is just too damned big for me.

Now, the S1000ADV sounds/looks like the ONE (for me). I never ride the big GS offroad (had an F800GS for that, sold it, never liked the power or the brakes), and so this one could be the bike to hang with my sportbike buddies in the twisties, and then get home, slap the bags on it, and head out with wifey for lunch or dinner, or an overnight.

The decision, if it's true that they plan to bring this one out, will be whether or not to just buy a used S1000RR for canyon carving and the odd track day, keep the R12GS as a "classic" forever-bike, or get the new S1000ADV/GS/whatever. Could be the ONE for me.

Interesting times, hey?

Back