• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for first hand info from those who have ridden Newfoundland

Just do it.

I have traveled all over the planet but my favorite place is still Newfoundland. The scenery, pretty good and the roads, pretty awesome but, the folks, fantastic, to a soul. I love the people. George Street in St. John's to get Screeched In as an absolute blast.

We rode up there in 2007. If you plan to ferry to and from via the ferries originating in N. Sydney, there is a motel right at the top of the hill from the landing. We left at 0500 traveling to Argentia and were able to get up and ride down the hill and board. Our return from Port Aux Basques landed after dark and we went up the hill and checked in and crashed. It was very handy and saved us traveling long distances: North Star Inn. http://www.northstarinn.ca/

I enjoyed riding the length of Newfoundland by starting in Argentia and finishing at Port Aux Basques. We visited St John, the easternmost point of N. America, Lanse Aux Meadows (Viking settlement), Gros Morne NP, etc. By all means drive out to Carbonear, Bon Air, and all the beautiful seaside towns. If you're early enough in the year you can see icebergs; we weren't.

If time permits ferry over to Labrador (unless you're coming in from there). Check out http://www.ridetherock.com for much more info. I found it very helpful and even ran into the forum owner just before leaving the island.

Enjoy,

Voni and I spent about a week there a few years ago. The riding is excellent. It did rain one day but we holed up in Gander for a day. They had just purchased and then blown the engine on one of the ferries so the schedule was erratic. But we had time to be flexible. I did conclude that if you were anywhere you could see the coast Newfoundland looks like a place where fishermen go out in little white boats and live in little white houses. If you are someplace you can't see the coast Newfoundland looks like a place where moose live in the woods.

If you are someplace you can't see the coast Newfoundland looks like a place where moose live in the woods.

Newfoundland does a have problem with the moose population. Unfortunately, they are not native to the island; someone thought it would be a good idea to introduce the species there. :dunno

Flew in there many years ago, had the privilege of going cod fishing in a home built fourteen foot skif with a berg or two floating by. We jigged with no bait by hand and about an eighth inch gut line. Guide was family, Merc mechanic, knew the way around the bay. Also had about a pound sinker to take line down. Stood in the rocking boat legs gripping the seat, I asked where's my life jacket?, was told not to worry I'd be a gonner before rescue, followed by a hardy laugh. Great day, put life into perspective. BTW his neighbor built the boat and three of us set off into the expanse with a ten horse evinrude.

I've done 10-12 trips to Newfoundland.
1. Be prepared for any kind of weather. Got off the ferry in Port of Basque in August one time and it was 40 degrees and raining. Stephenville great little party town and do the loop around Port au Port. A trip to Burgeo is a ride that's about as desolate as it gets. Be sure your tank is full before you leave Stephenville! The boat tour in Gros Mourne is a must! St Anthony is out of the way and full of history. You can take the short ferry ride from St Barbes to Quebec and you're only a half hour ride into Labrador. The "Silent Witness Memorial" in Gander will get to you (site of crash carrying over 250 soldiers from the 101st in 1985). St Johns George's Street has more bars per capita than any other city in the world! Tell any bartender you're an American and get "Screehed-in'ed", you'll become an honary Newfoundlander. If you stop to ask a local directions get a cup of coffee, you'll be there a while. FRIENDLEST people in world!

stopped and visited

there for a few days after doing the TLH.

Amazing scenery! Wonderful people... LOTS of moose. We were lucky and had fantastic weather.

Can't wait to go back.

sdc

Thanks everyone who took the time to answer.

Kicking this idea around with Paul as a possibility before the Salty Fog Rally.:bikes

How long do you plan to go for? I plan to go back for at least two weeks to a month.

I have a couple of B&Bs I can highly recommend.

Will you be returning via the Trans Labrador Highway which is almost all dirt by the way?

Back