Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: gas mileage/setting valves

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I had a heck of a time setting a 4 valve boxer's tappets to my satisfaction until I found and procured a set of these from the Beemer Boneyard. I have each set of two on a string with a clip on the end so they stay off the ground when they slip out. Works very well if you insert them all and set them all at once as even as you can as GSAddict has described.

MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

aapasquale
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Not sure if you are already doing this but the valve adjust should be done with 4 feeler gauges for best/superior results.
    Also adjustments are based on mileage interval. (6000mi/10,000km)
    Typically I have found once the valves are adjusted properly, they rarely need to be touched at the intervals, just checked.
    yes, I am using 4 gauges and yes, I am doing the valve check/adjustment at the proper interval

aapasquale

update

Hi All,
    Spring has really arrived now. It seems that with the warmer weather the mileage has increased to 40+ mpg. It would appear that temperature had an influence. Any thoughts?Tony

Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    Hi All,
    Spring has really arrived now. It seems that with the warmer weather the mileage has increased to 40+ mpg. It would appear that temperature had an influence. Any thoughts?Tony
    I ride all year round and log every litre on a spreadsheet.
    Mileage definitely increases in spring and summer.
    About 10% for me.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    Hi All,
    Here is a good list of the things that effect fuel economy: Fuel Economy Factors.

The things that jump out, worst case:

Winter vs Summer Fuel: ~3 - 8%
    Winter vs Summer Air Drag: ~5 - 13%
    Headwinds: ~2 - 23%
    Speed (70 vs 55 mph): ~25%
    Acceleration Rate: ~12 - 20%
    Idling/Warmup Summer vs Winter: up to ~20%

So if your usual mileage is 41 mpg in the summer, in the winter you could see 5% for fuel, 8% for drag, 10% for headwinds and 8% for other or about 30% worse mileage on the wrong day. 70% of 41 mpg could bring you to low 30s or lower.

aapasquale
    Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    Here is a good list of the things that effect fuel economy: Fuel Economy Factors.

The things that jump out, worst case:

Winter vs Summer Fuel: ~3 - 8%
    Winter vs Summer Air Drag: ~5 - 13%
    Headwinds: ~2 - 23%
    Speed (70 vs 55 mph): ~25%
    Acceleration Rate: ~12 - 20%
    Idling/Warmup Summer vs Winter: up to ~20%

So if your usual mileage is 41 mpg in the summer, in the winter you could see 5% for fuel, 8% for drag, 10% for headwinds and 8% for other or about 30% worse mileage on the wrong day. 70% of 41 mpg could bring you to low 30s or lower.
    Thanks for the responses. I thought perhaps I might have done something wrong, but apparently not. The bike is running beautifullyand surge is virtually absent.
    Anyone out there heading for Americade? Lake George is gorgeous this time of year.

98 r1100rt

A buddy has an 1150 and runs the valve clearance tighter than stock by 2/3.
    And seems to get some result he likes.

I experimented with this on the 1100 and found that it increased peak power maybe a perceptible amount at the top of the rev range.
    It sagged everywhere else, and became more sensitive to conditions contributing to surging.
    I did like the nearly-no-rattle sound of the motor when set this way, I admit.
    I should also mention that some forum members cautioned me that the exhaust valve in particular may run hotter than it is supposed to.

Since returning the clearances to stock I have been a lot happier with the motor.
    It runs cleaner and pulls harder at low to mid RPMs, allowing earlier (less clunky) shifts.
    And is much nicer on parking lots now.
    Over the years I have become proficient at getting them set where I want them.
    The main problem I had initially is not getting all four exhaust and all four intakes set the same, mostly due to ineptitude with the feeler gauge itself.

I have read somewhere that increasing the lash above stock can give a boost to low-end grunt, similar to putting the GS/R intake tubes on.
    I have not tried it, if I did I would try 4/3 of the stock values.
    I would surely only embarrass myself trying to explain why this would do anything useful.

I would not expect bulk fuel consumption to change much.
    I guess it is reasonable to assume that opening the valves later means they are closed more of the time, consuming less air, and therefore consuming less fuel as well.
    But that's kind of a chain of assumptions.
    I get around 46 MPG but it varies with weather and mood.