• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

replace stock shocks with Wilbers ?? 2010 R1200RT

swessels

I'm riding a 2010 RT with ESA. I'm thinking about replacing the stock shocks with Wilbers. with my last bike, a 2000 RT, I noticed a dramatic improvement in bike handling when I had a set of Wilbers installed when bike had about 50K miles. my current 2010 RT has about 30K miles but with the ESA I'm wondering what exactly I'd be getting. Any thoughts on this possible replacement would be appreciated.

Steve W
Holland, MI

Last edited by a moderator:
Had OEM ESA shocks replaced by Herman there in Florida - Wilbers a Great replacement choice (night and day difference) IMO.

08RT

i had Ted Porter's Beemer Shop do the Wilber's ESA shock switch to my 2013 R1200RT in December, IIRC the Rt had 12000miles.....suffice to say it transformed the already good handling to outstanding.....job took Ted's tech about 6 hours including a lunch break.....

i HIGHLY recommend the upgrade...

wyman

Take what ever cost they give you and divide it by 3, that is your cost in the end, as used premium shocks fetch good$$, when you are done with them. You get the added bonus of great handling and ride in the meantime.

Lots are scared by the price, but good suspension is the best thing you can do to almost any moto.

i had Ted Porter's Beemer Shop do the Wilber's ESA shock switch to my 2013 R1200RT in December, IIRC the Rt had 12000miles.....suffice to say it transformed the already good handling to outstanding.....job took Ted's tech about 6 hours including a lunch break.....

i HIGHLY recommend the upgrade...

wyman

+1! Currently at 49k with Wilbers, best investment yet. I did mine myself with some telephone pre-installation support from Ted himself. Great guy!

Steve - please review: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.

A FWIW - the original US Wilbers importer - EPMPerformance, Klaus Hueneke - was approached by Benny Wilbers to once again be a Wilbers importer. He has considerable experience with ESA conversions - using both Wilbers and Hyperpro shocks. I believe he's also working on a YSS solution (a bit less expensive.) - Note Klaus is a very good friend of mine, but he's also has one of the best suspension shops in the US.
Is Ted going away, or will this be a 2nd US reseller?

i would think, from purely a marketing standpoint, that having a distributor on both coasts would be advantages to sales.....as i wanted my Wilbers ESA shocks installed on my 2013 RT and was lucky enough to be reasonably close to Ted's shop.....yes, i could have just sent Ted the shocks but i felt it was money well spent getting them properly set up and installed....in less than 6 hours to boot....

wyman

Steve - sorry to join this conversation so late.

I did the Wilbers ESA replacement about a year ago on my 2009 RT, which from a suspension standpoint is about identical to your 2010. Totally worth it. Here's a project report if you're thinking about doing it yourself. Ted Porter at BeemerShop was very helpful.

JayJay

Steve - please review: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding the year/model to your thread title.

This is confirmed. Klaus took my order for a pair of Wilburs last week. Should have them in and I'll be over there to have them installed the second week of April by his estimates.

This is confirmed. Klaus took my order for a pair of Wilburs last week. Should have them in and I'll be over there to have them installed the second week of April by his estimates.

what was the approximate cost for the conversion by Klaus?

SW

One of my customers got the Wilbers/ESA conversion a year or two ago on his R1200RT. Just saw him; he is still extremely pleased with the suspension. As above, he thought it turned a good handling bike into a great handling one. We used the guy down in Florida.

Back