• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT how much oil gulping is too much?

According to my dealer, burning less than 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered normal by BMW

According to my dealer, burning less than 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered normal by BMW

BMW can call a quart per 1k normal but in today's engines I think that is a bit much. I wonder if they will change those numbers with the water boxer. For the record my 2010 RT does not use oil between changes and it was ridden from day one like it was broken in.

Pete
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest cause of some bikes using oil is the owner- being excessively hyper about oil level and constantly adding oil that gets burned off.
Just get in the habit of checking in the morning before riding once in a while and I'll bet your consumption decreases. Checking after a ride has a strong propensity to cause worriers more warts..

Mine (08 RT) used some in the first 600, about the same amount in the next 4K, and pretty much stopped before 6K. Now, about 5 years and 40+K miles more, I only check it once in a while- like before leaving on a couple thousand mile run- uses zilch (nothing I would claim to be able to measure reproducibly) between changes.

Now, about your claim that an "oil" search failed to produce any results here...REALLY?!

Try to spend more time with your revs up above at least 3000. The bike will be more responsive, run smoother, stop burning oil sooner and get better gas mileage. I put several thousand miles on mine before I figured this out. Third gear usage generally starts between 25-30mph, fourth around 40mph, fifth above 50, sixth at least 65mph but only if I'll be cruising at a steady speed for a few miles. I used to run down around 2000 rpm but found acceleration was poor if I needed to maneuver quickly. Better mileage at higher rpm confused me for a while but I think the engine just runs more efficiently if it is not straining at a lower rpm.

yeah. the oil incident happened over the weekend. Tomorrow will be my commute day with the bike so i'll definitely open it up tomorrow. ALSO my sargent seats came in! get to test those out too woo hoo!

anyways... u know whats annoying? Having the site glass on the other side of the oil fill reservoir :(

pour, stand up, walk to other side, check, walk back, pour, stand up, walk to other side, check, walk back...

*sigh* first world problems

Fwiw the oil consumption on my bike, '12 RT, is getting better now that my bike has 14k miles. Since the 12k mile service the bike has consumed less than half a liter.

From everything I have researched, there are a lot of threads here and on other forums, the boxer engine can take up to 18k miles to break-in and stop consuming oil. I am looking forward to that time.

Here is another thread on the topic:http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?69492-2012-RT-with-high-oil-consumption&highlight=

Synthetic or?

The only thing I'll add is what kind of oil are you using? I have an 08 RT ( 30k+ ) that drinks synthetic like someone else is paying the bar bill. On semi I use about a quart in 6k.

I'm using the BMW semi 15x50 as recommended by Max BMW at the first service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

R1200RT oil

On my second R1200RT 05 and now 09. Rode them both from the get go like I stole them. Use only Amsoil ? synthetic only check oil when engine is hot after sitting 2 or so minutes. Never used any oil 32K on the 09.Suggestion put fresh 30W non synthetic in and ride it hard for 3 or 4 hundred miles. Change oil and filter to Synthetic. Mat stop oil consumption no Guarantees.

2013 R 1200 RT - no oil consumption. Oil change at 600 mile service - still holding the center line.

My 2008 RT gulped oil like yours for the first 10,000 Km (6000 miles). My Wife's 2007 RT has never used any at all. Same engine, and I broke in both bikes the same way per the RT manual.

After 15,000 miles on my '13 RT I'm pretty consistently having to top it off once between oil changes with around half a quart. I'd estimate about 500cc burned per 6,000 miles.

Back