• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top Case Wiring Connector Help!

mcgregor.family

I hope someone smarter than me can help me! I just received delivery of a brand new 2013 K1600GTL yesterday (my first BMW). Prior to turning it over to me, the salesman showed me how to disconnect the wiring connector for the top case (under the seat). Trouble is, he didn't reconnect it properly (the two halves had only a friction-fit, so that the pins and sockets didn't make proper contact). Furthermore, I can't seem to get the two halves to connect firmly either. Hopefully someone knows a trick that I'm missing. If so, I'd appreciate the help. (BTW, the dealer is closed for a couple of days so I can't get help from them).

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 110
Should only go together 1 way, then twist the locking ring to the right to "tighten" it together.

Should only go together 1 way, then twist the locking ring to the right to "tighten" it together.

Thanks for the response ... I appreciate the help. The male end of the connector has some slots that suggest that there should be a locking ring on the female end that would snug the two halves together. Trouble is, there is no locking ring on either half. Does your connector look different than mine (see photos)?

Again, thanks for your help.

From the photos it looks like the "bottom" part will plug into the top part when a vague arrow on the bottom part lines up with the white arrow on the top part. It looks to me like there is no locking ring unless it is the whoie outer part of one or the other plugs.

Look at the contacts in each connector - mark the outsides of needed - so that you can push the two halves together so that the pins and sleeves line up and connect. The try to rotate something.

From the photos it looks like the "bottom" part will plug into the top part when a vague arrow on the bottom part lines up with the white arrow on the top part. It looks to me like there is no locking ring unless it is the whoie outer part of one or the other plugs.

Look at the contacts in each connector - mark the outsides of needed - so that you can push the two halves together so that the pins and sleeves line up and connect. The try to rotate something.

Thanks. The two halves only seem to "mate" in one position. The arrow that you speak of doesn't seem to point to anything in particular that I can spot, oddly enough. Furthermore, nothing rotates at all. Even though I expect that the two halves would ultimately vibrate apart, I'm starting to think that MAYBE they fit together through friction only (the interior light of the top case, additional brake light mounted into the case and the central locking ARE working with the two halves connected as they are).

That plug looks just like the diagnostic connector on the RT. Sometimes I have trouble locking my GS911 in place. The locking ring on the GS911 has to be rotated fully to the unlock position before mating the two halves.

plug.jpg

With the the plug disconnected, can you rotate the portion outlined in green while holding the part outlined in red?

Success!

That plug looks just like the diagnostic connector on the RT. Sometimes I have trouble locking my GS911 in place. The locking ring on the GS911 has to be rotated fully to the unlock position before mating the two halves.

View attachment 44112

With the the plug disconnected, can you rotate the portion outlined in green while holding the part outlined in red?

Brother, I owe you a beer!!!! That worked! I'm so grateful. That is not something I would have figured out myself ... your photo was EXACTLY what I needed.

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

...Ken

Back