• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03 K1200 GT side case rekey

jeffd

I have purchased side cases on Ebay to replace my damaged ones. They came with a key but I would like to swap the lock sets out so that I don't have to use 2 keys. Everything I have seen talks about using a small pick inserted in an access hole inside the case to get to the release tab on the lock set. I don't seem to have that option. Do you put the pick in beside the red colored locking tab for the handles? I have been scratching around in there with a bent paperclip with no luck. I will go buy a bent pick tomorrow if that is what will do the trick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Jeff, here is a web site that will show you how to re key your bags.
www.ebbo.org/key.php look for the one for the R1100/1150 there the same bags as yours. You do not really need to buy the kit. You can re arrange the wafers to fit the key. I had to do mine and it wasn't that hard. I have a 03 K12RS.

Val

Glad it worked for you. I know what a pain in the ass it can be. I purchased bags for my K12RS off eBay. They arrived with no key. One bag was closed and other bag was open. I couldn't use them that way. I had to get the seller to send his key so that I could use it to re key the bags to my key. I couldn't do anything with them without his key. Good luck. If you need to make the bags look new again, you just need to really clean the bags as best you can. Then wipe them down with alcohol to get wax off and re paint them with Krylon Fusion paint. It is made to bond to plastic. You be surprised at how good a job it will do.
Val

The bags I got on ebay were almost like new. The guy selling them said that they were never on the bike. BS as there were a couple of boot scuffs that polished out. Anyway, thanks for the tip on the paint. I hope that I don't need it.
Jeff

side case rekey

I lost a bag off my gs a few years back, bought one off ebay. I live close to a BMW dealer and they redid my lock to match my key in 10 minutes and didn't charge me. Good luck.

Back