• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

93 k75s - steering bearings

ghyber

I am going to rectify a steering wobble issue on my K75S. This year I decided I was going to tackle this problem by changing front tire + new dynamic balancing, changing the front wheel bearings, changing the steering bearings and races, and changing the fluid bloc.

If my memory serves me right, many on this Forum suggested the BMW steering bearing grease is not up to par. So what is the Forum recommended replacement grease for the steering bearings? My options are as follows: Guard Dog GD-525 Moly Grease (man this stuff stinks), Honda Moly 60 Paste, Pure Dow High Vacuum Grease, and finally the BMW Motorcycle Grease Kluberplex 34-132 steering head and wheel bearing grease.

The Dow HVG was obtained last year for the purpose of repacking the fluid bloc. However, after I was told there was only one fluid bloc available in North America, I bought it as I wasn't sure in what condition I'd find mine, too risky and I prefer avoiding another K75S dismantling. ;)

Last edited:
I would go with the Dow HVG - you want something that is viscous (ie - thick) and out of the greases you have the Dow is likely to be most suitable. I know other people have used it in the past with success. I believe BMW no longer offers their own FluidBlok grease.

I would go with the Dow HVG - you want something that is viscous (ie - thick) and out of the greases you have the Dow is likely to be most suitable. I know other people have used it in the past with success. I believe BMW no longer offers their own FluidBlok grease.
So you're saying "go with the Dow HVG" for the steering bearings or the fluid bloc? Or both?

Just for the FluidBlock.

The new FluidBlock comes prepacked with the correct grease. So why bother with guessing, just install the new one:

46 51 2 310 218 DAMPER RING FOR FLUIDBLOCK $29.14
Part is factory packed with lubrication.

Ironically, another source of steering wobble (especially when decelerating around 50 mph) is the REAR tire. Had that once and iot was driving me nuts trying to find the cause. Changed out worn rear tire and it immediately went away.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Just for the FluidBlock.

The new FluidBlock comes prepacked with the correct grease. So why bother with guessing, just install the new one:

46 51 2 310 218 DAMPER RING FOR FLUIDBLOCK $29.14
Part is factory packed with lubrication.

Ironically, another source of steering wobble (especially when decelerating around 50 mph) is the REAR tire. Had that once and iot was driving me nuts trying to find the cause. Changed out worn rear tire and it immediately went away.:dunno

I hear you Lee with the guessing part. The old fluid bloc actually looks pretty good, but I am replacing it nonetheless. So, what do I used to grease my steering bearings?! :eat

Oh, I am changing the rear tire too. This is what the K75S currently looks like: I want that wobble to GO AWAY! ;)

Last edited:
Hang on to the old Fluid Block as there might come a time when they are NLA.

Hang on to the old Fluid Block as there might come a time when they are NLA.
Good advice, I will hang on to it for sure; the second bit of information I obtained during my quest is that there are/were only seven left in the motherland.

So, Lee, what grease...:blush

Last edited:
The fluid block should have a white grease inside in the square segments.

You have TWO new fluid blocks? Or is the top one your old one?

The fluid block should have a white grease inside in the square segments.

You have TWO new fluid blocks? Or is the top one your old one?

Top is the old one; you can see the pointed hex bolt indentations in the first 7mm of the fluid bloc.

Grease type - My Kingdom For Grease

Still waiting for input on the type of grease to use on my steering bearings.

Did mine a couple years ago, couldn't find much info so just used Honda Moly 60 mixed with some wheel bearing grease, half and half. That dog stuff should be good too. Mine's been fine so far.

Still waiting for input on the type of grease to use on my steering bearings.

Wait no more.

BMW recommends:

Shell Retinax A

or

Brand-name anti-friction grease
Usable temp range -30deg...140deg C
Drip point 150deg....230deg C
High protection
Good water/oxidation resistance

Haynes recommends:

Good quality, high melting point lithium fibre-based grease

I like wheel bearing grease for steering head bearings. You want an EP (extreme pressure) rating, anti-corrosion, anti washout. The GD 525 would be my choice from what you have.

I like wheel bearing grease for steering head bearings. You want an EP (extreme pressure) rating, anti-corrosion, anti washout. The GD 525 would be my choice from what you have.
Thanks for the responses folks.

Paul, just wondering why you recommended the Guard Dog over the Honda Moly 60 for the steering bearings? From what I read, the GD has 30% Molybdenum Disulfide while the Honda Moly has 60%? Just curious as the Guard Dog website states the following:

GD-525 Moly Grease is a synthetic, high temperature grease designed for all types of shaft splines. For motorcycles, use it also to lubricate u-joints, swing arms, starter drive gear, bushings, pins, cable barrels, levers, etc. For industry, GD-525 is a general purpose EP machinery grease, and a grease for the ?fifth wheel? and king pin on tractors. (GD-525 is not a lubricant for wheel bearings and chains.)

Why would GD not recommend this grease for wheel bearings? :scratch

Ghyslain

Last edited:
Decided to use the Honda 60 Moly Paste for the steering bearings.

Here is some feedback on installing the steering bearing races I can offer for those who have the time, talent and inclination to attempt the task themselves (which I HIGHLY recommend doing yourself).

I purchased the Steering Head Bearing Puller set from Dan Neiner from Cycle Works to assist with the job. The bearing puller works great, so does the race extractor. As far as inserting the bearing races into the steering cavity, I would recommend a bearing & seal driver set similar to what is sold at Harbour Freight. I tell you, if I was living in the USA, I would have a subscription to the place. I ended up driving the bearing races using the old race, an extra wide washer and a good ole hammer.

Ghyber

ghyber;929848 I purchased the Steering Head Bearing Puller set from Dan Neiner from Cycle Works to assist with the job. The bearing puller works great said:
Or a Dremel to notch the old race, it snaps right off. Then using a heat gun on the hearings and freezing the shaft it will drop right on. This is all I needed....

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 77
I got some information regarding my choice of Moly 60 paste may not have the best.

I took the whole thing apart again and after one full can of brake cleaner, the Honda Moly 60 paste is history from both top and bottom bearings. My steering bearings are now lubricated with the approved BMW Kluberplex BEM 34-132. There, now I feel better...:D

K100 Steering wobble fixed

I replaced my '85K100RS steering bearings to fix some wobble. The new bearings did not eliminate the wobble until I sufficiently tightened the knurled giant nut on top. I figured out that some giant channel lock #215 special pipe pliers let me tighten it with the tank on, triple clamp screws loose, of course, so the clamps can become a tiny bit closer.

Back