• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100R- Scrambler

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
H got an email from Hornig a few days ago..."I want this done to my 1100" was heard in my right ear:whistle

I like the look...and she may have a hard time getting me off of it:laugh Just what I need...another project:love

bmw-scrambler-2k.jpg

I like that adjustable baffle! Not really fond of the look, though. To me it looks unfinished from the back of the seat to the (lack of) tail light. But that's just my opinion. I do like the gauge clean-up, though. And nice effort on the front fender. I'll give it a :thumb

The site claims a LED taillight somewhere. To get an state inspection sticker here, it will need blinkers most likely as well. I like the old style high rear fender...needs some mud in there:laugh

I wish we had those adjustable baffles back in the "old" days... something called Snuff-or-nots were the manual version on some scrambler pipes

a few Airhead Scramblers...check out the large license plate on the first one

McQueen4 scrambler.jpg03_06_2013_hook_motors_bmw_R65_scrambler_05.jpg

You can do better in color selection. The brown seat seems out of place. Is it a kit or do you have to piece it together?

they say a "kit" but they just mention part numbers. Not crazy about the brown saddle either.

Close but not quite what I'm planning

My "Scrambled Bob" project is based on an R 850R that was headed for the great parts bin on E-bay until I got it running, fixed the bent front end and became attached.

By the way it is a nice bike but a little to store bought for me. What I mean by that is it looks like most of the modifications are either mail order or bike speed shop stuff which by the way is good but not the direction I am going with my little money pit.

Spokes are a very nice touch and I like the chopped rear sub frame. Why keep the cheesy and tacky handle bars? I could go on but instead I'll get busy on my latest new mistress and hopefully learn how to take and post pictures.

I like the old style high rear fender...needs some mud in there:laugh

Similar to the black scrambler, add 3-4 inches onto the kit fender. Change the saddle to something less "front-heavy" looking (and change the colour) and you'll have something that I wouldn't mind being around.

Disclaimer: The opinions voiced by BC1100S are not necessarily those based on good taste or functionality. Or they might be. :D

Laughed at date of my first post on this project… finally putting this together after a few years of parts wrangling among other things higher on the project list :laugh

My question is what fender went on this lower fork bridge? I bought this some time back, thinking it was 1100GS, but can’t recall. It gives clearance for the 19” wheel. Other models are flat and the fender mounts from side and under fender into fork bridge. This one has the tab front center.
I just have stuff in loose assembly so if you pick out a loose bolt or two…I know.

1D07CA47-8C06-46CF-89AE-E1F2241C5279.jpeg

Bump

Still trying to identify curved fork bridge with vertical tab for fender mount.

The 11XX’s here are flat and mounting for fender is underneath. I looked at 1100 and 1150 models in parts fiche and none look like this

Almost there, finally able to spend time on our projects. I started this in 2014 :lol

754EF13F-251A-4501-A7D6-F2BC2629059F.jpg

FBC07267-D3A3-441B-8577-03FB29A3120E.jpeg

She preferred the gull wing bars after I put a GS setup on it. Bars seemed wider to her. Left the outboard coolers as well as they never bothered us. She wanted the chrome 1150 headlight as well. I sourced an 1150 telever wishbone as the early model wasn’t much on looks. Several black items from a Rockster. Upgraded gauges from late 1100/ 1150R. Had thoughts of only a Speedo, but once she decided on Gull Wings, we kept that newer package. My powdercoater knocked many small parts
Even with 19” front wheel now, I flat footed it this evening after I took off lift.

05632ED4-48E5-4A09-A9CC-87EA2842B438.jpg

384328AF-2CF8-4BE9-9D99-2317BCEC2283.jpg

4FC573F6-4FA3-4F2F-98C4-3FF0091193CD.jpg

A45FDD42-F661-4009-8CC1-AFDBE545298E.jpg

AF2B0AB3-067A-4B9A-A5F0-B2AAD86B3CD4.jpg

3E17ED14-9D0E-4065-B533-5933AE4A6B8E.jpg

CBE6E62C-46B7-49F5-B186-E6637D762D19.jpg

Mostly wiring to lights and blinkers and upgraded headlight I haven’t sourced yet. The donor larger shell from late model 1100R had shattered lens.

View attachment 90126
Trip to exhaust fab and new slip-on due this week. I stuck one that was on H’s KTM at one time just to mock-up layout
The original Jet-Hot needs a new coating and will add new exhaust in that mix when it’s built. Had headers from an 1150GS but needs flange mods to mate to 1100 heads and didn’t want to fool with that, went with two- into - one stock to stay with Scrambler look.

Def need to extend the side stand after adding the 19” front. 2x4 needed as the 1x4 didn’t help much.

Last edited:
Almost there, finally able to spend time on our projects. I started this in 2014 :lol

She preferred the gull wing bars after I put a GS setup on it. Bars seemed wider to her. Left the outboard coolers as well as they never bothered us. She wanted the chrome 1150 headlight as well. I sourced an 1150 telever wishbone as the early model wasn’t much on looks. Several black items from a Rockster. Unless graded gauges from late 1100/ 1150R. Had thoughts of only a Speedo, but once she decided on Gull Wings, we kept that newer package. My powdercoater knocked many small parts
Even with 19” front wheel now, I flat footed it this evening after I took off lift.

View attachment 90124

View attachment 90125

View attachment 90127

Mostly wiring to lights and blinkers and upgraded headlight I haven’t sourced yet. The donor larger shell from late model 1100R had shattered lens.

View attachment 90126
Trip to exhaust fab and new slip-on due this week. I stuck one that was on H’s KTM at one time just to mock-up layout
The original Jet-Hot needs a new coating and will add new exhaust in that mix when it’s built. Had headers from an 1150GS but needs flange mods to mate to 1100 heads and didn’t want to fool with that, went with two- into - one stock to stay with Scrambler look.

View attachment 90129
Def need to extend the side stand after adding the 19” front. 2x4 needed as the 1x4 didn’t help much.

The links are bombing

Mirrors and prob going back with GS handguards ( after I check of course) I kid her she never uses mirrors anyways, especially when I pull off the road for something and she keeps rollin’ down the road :stick

That's a pretty good-looking machine!

I'm thinking about giving my own 850R a similar treatment and am curious about where you got those radiator guards, cylinder head guards, and the under-engine protector plate.

Thanks,

Lots of searching for various pieces. Took some time since R’s are limited in availability and my time while working on other bikes. Trying to maintain a reasonable budget was fun as well, but I promised H a build. Funny the R9T showed up after starting this and helped someone to remind me that hers was sitting on the lift :stick. :lol

Had a rear spoked wheel with rotor and had to swap FD from rotor mounted style as well. I had sourced a Rockster black FD but it was a non ABS. Finding a front spoked wheel with rotors took several bid attempts and frustration, then locating the arched fork bridge to clear tire took many tries.
The cooler screens were fabbed from perforated sheet most likely Home Depot years ago. I assume your bike has the plastic surrounds still?
The bash plate came off a donor 11gs, looks like same one on a 1200 gs , will compare later

The guards are Touratech I believe and also were from a donor GS

278E3493-D1D2-47A5-9978-AEFFAD66C850.jpg

Last edited:
While I had a checklist, sometimes overlook to check… until final go-round inspection (certainly not final on this bike :laugh
I can tell on myself because I know I’m not alone.

First time off lift and pushing bike around and using front brakes I hear and feel a slight knock in bars. Do the reach around pull/push on things that might be loose. Put hand on left fork leg and a lot of movement :banghead
I recall the day that happened as I took flagging tape off both forks while changing the GS top tree and set the Roadster unit back in place. Torqued all clamps and had someone drive up and didn’t replace warning flag. I didn’t go back for a few days.
Next step was setting the gull wings in place and yep, covered those fork top nuts. On other models they stay exposed with the plastic covers. My flag tape was gone so must be good to go.
So, back on lift, remove gulls and torque away. They were run down pretty far but still loose . Fussed/cussed at myself but also realized it’s gonna be fine. Now where’s that list

Also the center stand, if it stays, needs a height adjustment as it barely touches ground just enough to balance it.

End of day, two steps back and one ahead. Did bleed brakes so got a check mark !
H is happy and creating change orders already , yea!

Also put the handguards and lollipop mirrors back on waiting input from H. This may be her gravel/forest runner in Arkansas instead of her 650GS.

2D12FA8D-FAC7-4150-918C-791DBE8F5896.jpg

0FFEF462-BE2B-4357-89CB-74813D63DBAC.jpg

Edit: “ lose the handguards, takes away from new look” so I did

A297135E-16ED-474D-9965-D736CB06093B.jpg

Last edited:
Back