• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150RT - GS Tubes?

tedjr55

Hi,
I read an ad recently for a R1150RT for sale wherein the guy had swapped out the stock air intake tubes for GS issue tubes. The change was supposed to improve mid rpm range acceleration (?) Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

Hi,
I read an ad recently for a R1150RT for sale wherein the guy had swapped out the stock air intake tubes for GS issue tubes. The change was supposed to improve mid rpm range acceleration (?) Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

You will find those who say it makes a difference but if it does it's small. May reduce top end power. There is also one unconvincing dyno run that's been around for 15 years. Out of the 256 fuel cells in the fuel table, the run tested about 9 of them.

Is it a bike you're thinking of buying?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks

I would consider it a no cost option, if we is trying to "sell" it you.

I did this on my '97 R1100RT, and yes it made a difference, and yes it is a small difference.
I have not bothered trying it with my 1150's.

This "trick" has been used for many years (even before Oilheads were available) as another way of tuning the intake side of a fuel-injected system (a neighbor with a drag-racing boat was quite familiar with this before I did my '97); the idea is that longer intake tubes move the torque curve lower in the RPM range (similar to exhaust pipes). A tiny bit of top-end is lost, but unless you race, it is not noticeable (the additional lower-end torque boost may even help off the line...). The main benefit was/is supposed to be a stronger midrange.

A couple of the shops in this area tried this (at customers' request) and results were mixed. Some bikes responded well, others immediately started spitting and backfiring, and the question remains as to whether changing the CCP (Catalytic Converter Coding Plug) needs to be changed to accommodate this. I'm aware of at least one 1100GS - which of course came stock with the longer tubes - that was not running "typically" and changing its tubes to the RT/RS version fixed it! However, the actual "Root Cause" of this case was not resolved.

The how-to is on the Internet BMW Riders oilhead tech site. The HP/torque chart here is from that site.

RS-GS_intake_chart.jpg

Reports from the riders who added either an Innovate Motorsports LC-1 or a Nightrider AF-XIED have been that with or without the Intake Tune change (mike at Beemer boneyard already had the tubes on his r1100r), the LC-1 or AFXIED gave a big mid-range boost, smoother mid-high range and no top end loss.
RB

I had installed a set of long GS intake tubes on my 1100RT and other than a bit more "honk" sound when I opened the throttle all the way I could not feel any difference. I am one of the testers of the AF-XIED Roger mentioned and I subsequently installed an LC-1 wideband O2 sensor kit on my 1100RT. After running quite a few tests and gathering data Roger suggested I try removing the longer tubes and test again. If there was any difference I really could not notice it and the bike ran every bit as well as before removing them.

That dyno image may show a tiny bit of improvement but my butt dyno could not measure it. I don't think the GS tubes hurt anything but in the end not worth the trouble or expense in my case. I tend to think the designers knew what they were doing and left it back in stock configuration. The LC-1 (AF-XIED's grandpappy) on the other hand did more to improve performance on my bike (including better mileage) than any other thing I have tried. And I've tried pretty hard... :blush

Back