• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

U-Joint Failure - R1200R 2007 33K mlles

dbrick

rabid reader
I bought the bike at 10K in 2010. Since then, it has lived inside and been maintained as BMW directs by Ted Porter's Beemershop.

I rode to Death Valley last weekend. On Sunday morning, about five miles up the hill from Stovepipe Wells at 7:45 a.m., something let go in the drivetrain: felt like I was running over tar snakes (brrp, brrp, brrp, etc.). Bevel box wasn't leaking, and the rear wheel had no play on any axis. The wheel turned (noisily) in the correct direction, but would only go a bit in reverse before locking. The noise seemed to come from the driveshaft. The bike was ridden (very gently) down to the hill to Stovepipe, a better place to load it on the truck that had taken my friend's KTM dirt bike into the valley.

The bike went by truck back home, and this morning up to Ted's shop. Once the rear drive was removed from the swingarm, the problem was evident:

The u-joint was clearly deceased. I didn't see surface corrosion on the pieces, and Ted didn't think the joint had died from moisture. He said the pieces seemed (looked? smelled?) as though the joint had gotten extremely hot before it failed; he described a failure mode where the needle bearings get loose, and the moving bearing beats on the opening in the u-joint trunnions until the trunnion or the crosspiece fractures. This seemed a reasonable explanation of what I saw. As needle bearings live long lives in terrible conditions (open to the elements) in automobile driveshafts, this failure suggests BMW uses bearings bought to a price, not quality.

Fortunately, I'd stopped the bike quickly enough that the swingarm wasn't significantly damaged; there was only a small abrasion to the lip that retains the rubber bellows:

Ted says they see this failure on Hexheads often enough not to be surprised, and said he doesn't know if these failures are caused by more power, or cheaper bearings, or something else. In any event, this driveshaft is not repairable even if parts were available...and they're not. Instead, one must replace the whole driveshaft.

A new driveshaft is about $800. I've heard there was a running change in the driveshaft about 2009. Hoping that newer parts might be sturdier, and wanting to avoid the uncertainty of a used part, I'll spring for a new one.

Last edited:
I bought the bike at 10K in 2010. Since then, it has lived inside and been maintained as BMW directs by Ted Porter's Beemershop.

I rode to Death Valley last weekend. On Sunday morning, about five miles up the hill from Stovepipe Wells at 7:45 a.m., something let go in the drivetrain: felt like I was running over tar snakes (brrp, brrp, brrp, etc.). Bevel box wasn't leaking, and the rear wheel had no play on any axis. The wheel turned (noisily) in the correct direction, but would only go a bit in reverse before locking. The noise seemed to come from the driveshaft. The bike was ridden (very gently) down to the hill to Stovepipe, a better place to load it on the truck that had taken my friend's KTM dirt bike into the valley.

The bike went by truck back home, and this morning up to Ted's shop. Once the rear drive was removed from the swingarm, the problem was evident:

The u-joint was clearly deceased. I didn't see surface corrosion on the pieces, and Ted didn?t think the joint had died from moisture. He said the pieces seemed (looked? smelled?) as though the joint had gotten extremely hot before it failed; he described a failure mode where the needle bearings get loose, and the moving bearing beats on the opening in the u-joint trunnions until the trunnion or the crosspiece fractures. This seemed a reasonable explanation of what I saw. As needle bearings live long lives in terrible conditions (open to the elements) in automobile driveshafts, this failure suggests BMW uses bearings bought to a price, not quality.

Fortunately, I?d stopped the bike quickly enough that the swingarm wasn?t significantly damaged; there was only a small abrasion to the lip that retains the rubber bellows:

Ted says they see this failure on Hexheads often enough not to be surprised, and said he doesn?t know if these failures are caused by more power, or cheaper bearings, or something else. In any event, this driveshaft is not repairable even if parts were available...and they're not. Instead, one must replace the whole driveshaft.

A new driveshaft is about $800. I?ve heard there was a running change in the driveshaft about 2009. Hoping that newer parts might be sturdier, and wanting to avoid the uncertainty of a used part, I?ll spring for a new one.

Drive shaft failure stories scare the crap out me, since there is usually no warning and what will happen once it lets go is a gamble (with life possibly). I am assuming there was no warning in your case either.

My friend had the same thing happen. Once it's burned up, it's hard to tell if there was rust inside the joints. I remember seeing a little rust before when we had serviced it though.

Check ebay for a new shaft. I see one on there now for an R1200RT (which I think should be the same): http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-BMW-R120...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5405d9dfe1&vxp=mtr

After that, I highly recommend you do your own final drive service and make sure to get that rubber boot on right and grease it to keep water out. You can also have serviceable U-joints put on your shaft (we had my friend's u-joints repaired by Bruno in Canada, and there's another shop that can do it for around $250 here in the states), so you can make sure the grease inside the bearings is good by injecting it in yourself every 24k miles or so.

Lastly, I had a horrible experience with Ted's Beemers with my '06 RT. I really wouldn't use them for newer bikes as at least one of the guys working there doesn't do a stellar job. The one thing Ted told me and that I took to heart was that there's almost nothing you can't do for these bikes yourself with a few tools and resources.

Driveshaft sevice procedure write-up???

I wonder if a service procedure write-up exists to prevent this problem?

I wonder if a service procedure write-up exists to prevent this problem?

There is none. These are "lubricated for life" and non serviceable, unless you have a shop modify them with a removable nipple.

What amazes me is that the owner did not feel vibrations in the bike way before this failure. The u-joint was obviously seized and that would make the driveshaft run very wobbly and tight . I've had several u-joints fail on my early cars and there was always a vibration to indicate the problem. This is such antiquated technology, BMW should get out of the industrial revolution and use something higher tech, like CV joints for instance ?

There is none. These are "lubricated for life" and non serviceable, unless you have a shop modify them with a removable nipple.

What amazes me is that the owner did not feel vibrations in the bike way before this failure. The u-joint was obviously seized and that would make the driveshaft run very wobbly and tight . I've had several u-joints fail on my early cars and there was always a vibration to indicate the problem. This is such antiquated technology, BMW should get out of the industrial revolution and use something higher tech, like CV joints for instance ?

Not the same model, but Voni's R1100RS spit its driveshaft - it looked about the same as this one - and it gave no early warning whatsoever. I had ridden the bike that morning and felt nothing. Voni was riding it when it broke and felt nothing in advance. I was very surprised, but given that we both had ridden the bike at highway speed in the 15 or 20 miles prior to the failure the lack of warning was indeed the case.

I agree about CV joints. Or maybe they should just use chains. Or belts.

Sorry to read about your ride ending issue...glad you faired well.

My bro-in-laws '07 shaft gave out around that same mileage...he is very gentle on the equipment. Felt a slight vibration moments before it broke.
Another member who bought my '05 GS has also lost a shaft...I believe he now has the serviceable u-joints.

I have a similar picture of a 1150GSA driveshaft in my shop right now...it waited 101K and also no vibration felt by owner until he felt it bang. On this one the front joint failed and really beat up the housing at the mounting point with the tranny. Enough to warrant a replacement. The burnt/hot metal smell was very evident at teardown as well...that joint got very hot.

Only possible help is to have the serviceable u-joints installed and hope for the best. The price doesn't drop on them...the 1150 is also around $800 new.

The u-joint was obviously seized and that would make the driveshaft run very wobbly and tight

I don't think it seized; I think one of the u-joint's four trunnion bearings failed. With a failed but-still-moving bearing the u-joint would still turn, but would vibrate (the "brrp brrp brrp" I heard and felt) and soon fracture.

A new driveshaft is about $800. I've heard there was a running change in the driveshaft about 2009. Hoping that newer parts might be sturdier, and wanting to avoid the uncertainty of a used part, I'll spring for a new one.

I think the newer version of the driveshaft (from 1/08) is different as the output shaft on the transmissions were a larger diameter starting with the 1/08 build date. Might want to check before ordering. I don't think the newer shaft will fit on your transmission.
Mike

Thanks, Mike. If the gearbox output shaft is a different size, then certainly an 08-up driveshaft won't fit.

It's also possible (hope springs ethernal...) that in addition to providing a driveshaft with different bearings on 2008 and later bikes, BMW also modified the earlier-model part to include the larger bearings. I don't have any way to research whether or not the part number shown for a 2007 bike has been changed; I mentioned the issue to Ted, and trust that they'll source an updated shaft if they're available.

WOW, this is a terrifing wake up call. ive had my drivshaft out this winter and it just dident feel right, notchy i guess would be the word iam looking for. looks like ill be going back in, BB does not have one. i do know a drivshaft specialst in detroit. honestly, when i made my assesment of my drivshaft i figured it had 10k left on the clock. wont be taking any chances,,,, sorry about your ride.

U-Joint Failur-R12002007

Thanks! Will they perform the replacement? They appear to be oriented toward sales of new shafts and components to commercial markets.
A friend of mine had his done by them, they turned it around in only a day or two.

David - was the driveshaft removed from the bike without removing the swingarm? Just curious since I've heard some of them won't clear the weld for the front U joint through the opening in the swingarm, meaning the arm has to come off to R&R the shaft.

BTW - I keep a spare on my garage shelf (found a bargain on Ebay) - to invoke Eilenberger's Law of Spares.. and it's packaged and ready to go via overnight UPS if I need it while touring..

When I saw the pieces, the swingarm had been dropped. I trust that the shop wouldn't have done that work if the driveshaft could have been removed with the swingarm in place.

I remember hearing about your spare driveshaft. Keeping it packaged for shipping is great prep.

Don, the whole swingarm must come off as the shaft won't fit through the end of it. Thankfully it's not that hard to take the whole swingarm off.

To the OP, the driveshaft you have is the same part number as an R1200RT, so that one I linked to you on ebay would work. If I were you, I would buy the one on ebay for $270 and send it to http://www.machineservice.com/ and have them put on the more durable and serviceable U-joints (they quoted me $250 for that last time I called). Then for under $600 you will have a drive shaft that I'd trust more than a new $900 one.

I also may be parting out my friend's '07 R1200RT that has the drive shaft I had sent to Bruno's in it. That also has the heavier duty serviceable U-joints.

Thanks, Nate. At this point, I think I'll continue on with the new piece, but I'm considering getting a spare driveshaft to keep wrapped on a shelf - thanks, Don - to ensure my bike isn't so long immobilized if this occurs again in the future.

One concern I have is that a used driveshaft is...used, and from what I've read, shafts also fail by fracturing of the rubber that fills the space between the solid shaft half and the tubular shaft half, and which connects the two halves. I imagine that use and heat make the rubber more vulnerable. A new shaft will have a history in which heat and use are absent; a used shaft will be a mystery.

Nate, I've also sent you a PM.

Back