• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 Rally!

2007 Rally

When is the "next" year where members can actually give input into the selection process? Has thus ever happened before? What are the selection criteria other than being able to handle 8-10K people plus bikes? Many moderate to large county fairgrounds can do this. RA is going to Shelbeyville TN this year. This is an interesting site with many good riding roads nearby.
I vote for a "riding rallye" versus a "hang out rallye" in the future.
Breeze[/QUOTE]

Such an easy job, picking a rally site. Anybody could do it but no matter what site you pick there are always complaints before and after. Too flat, no roads to ride, not enough showers. We are getting bigger all the time and now the subject of where to put 9000 - 10,000 riders comes up. Where does the Rally Site Team get places like this with 1500 motel rooms in close proximity and restaurants, dealers, and everything else that you want and also mountains to ride.
Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas. :banghead

Last edited:
Kiltmeister said:
We are getting bigger all the time and now the subject of where to put 9000 - 10,000 riders comes up. Where does the Rally Site Team get places like this with 1500 motel rooms in close proximity and restaurants, dealers, and everything else that you want and also mountains to ride.

Perhaps that is the real problem - too big.

One solution is the two event proposal - one rally & one convention - two different seasons, two different areas.

Although, I do think Kilty did a great job in Trenton it was too big for me.

2007 Rally

Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas. :banghead[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Lawrence Kansas? :dunno You've got the chaulk (sp?) hills, the Kansas river, KU campus, the Glaves, etc. Riding as good as Ohio if not better.

I feel that Lima has opened up a large portion of the country that has been ignored before. We had a great time in Lima, it was the people that made it fun.

Since we live so close to the Ozarks, we didn't go for the riding. Now there's an idea, Northwest Arkansas. Fayetteville has a campus, Boston Mountains close by, good roads in and out of the area......

Best,

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS

Ksrob said:
Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas. :banghead

What's wrong with Lawrence Kansas? :dunno You've got the chaulk (sp?) hills, the Kansas river, KU campus, the Glaves, etc. Riding as good as Ohio if not better.

I feel that Lima has opened up a large portion of the country that has been ignored before. We had a great time in Lima, it was the people that made it fun.

Since we live so close to the Ozarks, we didn't go for the riding. Now there's an idea, Northwest Arkansas. Fayetteville has a campus, Boston Mountains close by, good roads in and out of the area......

Best,

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS[/QUOTE]

No offense Rob, but if you had made it to the SE portion of Ohio, you would find many roads that rival the dragon for technical difficulty. In fact, it it werent for all the trees, you would swear you were carving canyons in california. That said, I cant make excuses for the glacier flattened area around Lima. :bikes

I gotta put a plug in for my home state: Lots of people have complained about the heat in July in so many places, about 2 weeks ago i was riding here in denver, 99F. I was hot, so I rode up to Mt. Evans (the highest paved road in North America), it's only 66 miles from Denver and it was 41F. Everyone can find a temp they like in that range, eh? Whaddaya say?

Or a rally in south mississippi, we can all go help rebuild like a half rally/half habitat for humanity thing?

KBasa said:
I still like Vegas. Airconditioning rocks.

;)

:hide

Me too. I really had a good time in Vegas the one and only time that I was there a few years back on the way to Cali. Thats when you, Tina, me, and my buddy Dan went to the dim sum place.

YB in IN said:
Me too. I really had a good time in Vegas the one and only time that I was there a few years back on the way to Cali. Thats when you, Tina, me, and my buddy Dan went to the dim sum place.

That was a fun time, wasn't it?

1792001-L-1.jpg

Man, I forgot about this picture. That was a great time. I'm looking at auditioning for the Young Artist's Program at San Francisco Opera in December. It's a pretty big deal program that everybody wants to get in to. I'm really hoping though that I get it because I totally fell in love with San Fran from that one trip.

Caption Contest

KBasa said:
That was a fun time, wasn't it?

1792001-L-1.jpg

This photo screams out for a caption......I don't know how much of a sense of humor each of these folks has so I will defer. Just thinking about some gave me a chuckle especially with Vegas as the backdrop.

Breeze

Huh?

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Mark --- Now THAT was funny! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!

Must be a private joke. On a public forum?
Oh well! Anything Sue wants to do is fine with me. ;)

Vegas?

But this pic is not Vegas. I walked this street in August and was at a convention at the Hyatt in the backround. It is San Francisco. What happens in SF.....
is talked about on the web???? :D :D

tb

PS. The ride home was great. Up the coast hiway to the redwoods, across the coast range to Red Bluff, Chico and then the Feather River canyon to Quincy, down to Reno and fast interstates from there. :wow

tb

Eureka CA

Temperate weather, beautiful scenery, close enough to population, but isolated by the "Redwood Curtain". There are local brew pubs and great roads. See you in Petrolia. :wave

Bob_M said:
Temperate weather, beautiful scenery, close enough to population, but isolated by the "Redwood Curtain". There are local brew pubs and great roads. See you in Petrolia. :wave

What about the black algae between your toes? Doesn't it get a bit rainy up there?

:burnout

Breeze

Nope!

In the winter the heavy mist is incessant (followed by showers and periods of heavy rain) but in the summer the weather can be expected to be overcast and cool in the AM and temperate and sunny in the afternoon. One thing that is interesting, the coast redwoods (you have got to walk through a grove of 300' tall trees) have evolved to take advantage of the summer morning fogs. The huge surface area of the millions of tiny leaves (needles) intercept the water vapor and it collects to fall as rain inside the grove. Just inland from the pastoral coastal plain (10 miles) the weather is all California: hot and dry and sunny. The mountains along the northern california coast are scribed with roads for all kinds of riders. It beats the heck out of Branson

Bob_M said:
In the winter the heavy mist is incessant (followed by showers and periods of heavy rain) but in the summer the weather can be expected to be overcast and cool in the AM and temperate and sunny in the afternoon. One thing that is interesting, the coast redwoods (you have got to walk through a grove of 300' tall trees) have evolved to take advantage of the summer morning fogs. The huge surface area of the millions of tiny leaves (needles) intercept the water vapor and it collects to fall as rain inside the grove. Just inland from the pastoral coastal plain (10 miles) the weather is all California: hot and dry and sunny. The mountains along the northern california coast are scribed with roads for all kinds of riders. It beats the heck out of Branson

But what about the Osmonds, all those wonderful relics from the Lawrence Welk show and, who can forget, the former cast of Hee-Haw?

Bob_M said:

The Lost Coast, too!... and Humboldt County... and Mendocino Greeno... I am so there!

Ian

Back