Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Rally!

Bob C
    Point Look Out state Park, MD.. it's only 6 miles form the house so I have a better then 50/50 chance of making it there!!

Surprised with this years theme, no MD lighthouses were on the bonus list of the IBR..

I second a "riding rally" vs a "hang out rally" since I am one of those who brings my F650 in on a motorhome. The best examples so far are Redmond and Spokane except at Spokane I was nursing a possible battery charging issue.

My back yard. It'll be a "working rally". We'll have tools and projects for each of you.

Las Vegas, man.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

callmethebreeze

What's that smell?

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Las Vegas, man.
    That's your tires melting during the July MOA Rally 2007 in Las Vegas. Somewhat akin to napalm in the morning.
    Good thought sausage boy. Stay away from the solvent will you?
    Breeze

Las Vegas, man.
    Why deal with the traffic? Let's just go direct to the surface of the sun.

Las Vegas, man.
    Damn, you beat me to it. How long have we had this joke running now?

Quote Originally Posted by YB in IN
    Damn, you beat me to it. How long have we had this joke running now?

A couple years at least. Here's a fun link.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

2007 Rally Site

We're still finalizing arrangements with the site, so we can't announce yet.
    You can tell me Dave since I am a member of the Rally Site Selection Committee!!
    The Kiltmeister
    The Kiltmeister
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Escanaba in the moonlight...
    2005 R1200GS 1985 R80 1981 R65
    2004 Triumph Sprint ST
    2002 Kawasaki KLR 650 1993 250 Honda Helix
    BMWMOA Life Member

2007 Rally

When is the "next" year where members can actually give input into the selection process? Has thus ever happened before? What are the selection criteria other than being able to handle 8-10K people plus bikes? Many moderate to large county fairgrounds can do this. RA is going to Shelbeyville TN this year. This is an interesting site with many good riding roads nearby.
    I vote for a "riding rallye" versus a "hang out rallye" in the future.
    Breeze[/QUOTE]

Such an easy job, picking a rally site. Anybody could do it but no matter what site you pick there are always complaints before and after. Too flat, no roads to ride, not enough showers. We are getting bigger all the time and now the subject of where to put 9000 - 10,000 riders comes up. Where does the Rally Site Team get places like this with 1500 motel rooms in close proximity and restaurants, dealers, and everything else that you want and also mountains to ride.
    Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas.
    Last edited by Kiltmeister; 09-01-2005 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
    The Kiltmeister
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltmeister
    We are getting bigger all the time and now the subject of where to put 9000 - 10,000 riders comes up. Where does the Rally Site Team get places like this with 1500 motel rooms in close proximity and restaurants, dealers, and everything else that you want and also mountains to ride.
    Perhaps that is the real problem - too big.

One solution is the two event proposal - one rally & one convention - two different seasons, two different areas.

Although, I do think Kilty did a great job in Trenton it was too big for me.

2007 Rally

Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas. [/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Lawrence Kansas? You've got the chaulk (sp?) hills, the Kansas river, KU campus, the Glaves, etc. Riding as good as Ohio if not better.

I feel that Lima has opened up a large portion of the country that has been ignored before. We had a great time in Lima, it was the people that made it fun.

Since we live so close to the Ozarks, we didn't go for the riding. Now there's an idea, Northwest Arkansas. Fayetteville has a campus, Boston Mountains close by, good roads in and out of the area......

Best,

Rob Lessen
    Arma, KS

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksrob
    Maybe we could find a place in Laurence, Kansas.
    What's wrong with Lawrence Kansas? You've got the chaulk (sp?) hills, the Kansas river, KU campus, the Glaves, etc. Riding as good as Ohio if not better.

I feel that Lima has opened up a large portion of the country that has been ignored before. We had a great time in Lima, it was the people that made it fun.

Since we live so close to the Ozarks, we didn't go for the riding. Now there's an idea, Northwest Arkansas. Fayetteville has a campus, Boston Mountains close by, good roads in and out of the area......

Best,

Rob Lessen
    Arma, KS[/QUOTE]

No offense Rob, but if you had made it to the SE portion of Ohio, you would find many roads that rival the dragon for technical difficulty. In fact, it it werent for all the trees, you would swear you were carving canyons in california. That said, I cant make excuses for the glacier flattened area around Lima.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I gotta put a plug in for my home state: Lots of people have complained about the heat in July in so many places, about 2 weeks ago i was riding here in denver, 99F. I was hot, so I rode up to Mt. Evans (the highest paved road in North America), it's only 66 miles from Denver and it was 41F. Everyone can find a temp they like in that range, eh? Whaddaya say?

Or a rally in south mississippi, we can all go help rebuild like a half rally/half habitat for humanity thing?