• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Using a tablet as a GPS

Texpaul

Lost again
Does anyone have any experience using a tablet, say like a Nexus or Samsung, as a GPS running Goggle maps? If so would appreciate hearing how it worked out and what kind of mount you used. Thanks in advance.

Would not you be dependent on cellular service? Guess it depends on where you ride to make that a concern or not.

Would not you be dependent on cellular service? Guess it depends on where you ride to make that a concern or not.

There are several offline GPS/nav apps available.

I've been interested in this question as well. The sticking point for me has been weatherproofing, and the related need for water-resistant charging. Though I don't make a habit of riding in rain, it happens, and I'm not comfortable depending on something that depends on dry weather -- especially given that inclement weather might be precisely when you most want your nav thingy to work.

Waterproofing is great.

After drowning my first GPS, an Emap, I paid for waterproof models thereafter. Yes, it does cost for things like Zumo models, but worth it to me.

There is a new map app called genius maps. Cellular service is not required. ( great for Canadian s like I riding in the states)
You phone or tablet must have a built in gps for it to work. Ie. iPad mini and I pad two will not work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a short test with an Android tablet 7" with LCD IPS display. As expected even with the new IPS type display I cann't read it in sunlight. And also as expected I can't use the touch screen with my gloves on.

Looking at my Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx with a reflective LCD screen on the other side of the handlebar all was clearly visible. And it has BUTTONS to touch!

On top most offline apps for navigating didn't show good reviews which I found disappointing.

But here's my plan: I plan to take the tablet with me in my tank bag, powered on and on charge with a couple of apps to show weather radar, weather forecasts and my favorite scares: curent LIGHTNING STRIKES. All these apps work with an onboard GPS in your device but all need network access to download the data.

For navigating...nothing beats a dedicated GPS device today. But a tablet or iPad is a good addition to lookup things when stopped and having a network signal.

/Guenther

I purchased the GAMIN iPhone APP and like it so far.

The benefit of having on the iphone is that the iphone is always with me and the audio BT workes great to my helmet system.

The APP was transferable to my iPad and older iphone. So now I have the app on all the devices.

I've used an iPad in the car when my wife was driving, but on the bike, I wouldn't. I far prefer the Zumo 665 even though it's getting VERY long in the tooth. The Nuvi 3597 I use in the car is much more advanced, if lacking in some features.

tablet on bike

I've played with this quite a bit, a tablet in the tank bag cover will get too much direct sunlight to be very readable and will also get very hot in the summer. The best solution I found is an iPad mini, with a Lifeproof case mounted in a holder made by SlipGrip with a ram ball on the back of it. This allows you to put it at an angle and also for air to flow around it. My favorite GPS app is Motion X GPS Drive although I have experienced problems when it is not getting any data signal. I've also used Copilot and Google Maps. With Copilot, you can download the entire map and it works pretty well. That being said, my favorite device is my BMW Navigator V, combined with my iPhone. The tablet idea is a nice thought but not quite ready for prime time in my opinion.

Does anyone have any experience using a tablet, say like a Nexus or Samsung, as a GPS running Goggle maps? If so would appreciate hearing how it worked out and what kind of mount you used. Thanks in advance.

Back