Thread: Mid to late 70's Airhead engine temp

Mid to late 70's Airhead engine temp

Does anyone have any information as to the temperature that an airhead runs at when warmed up?

I know down around the heads/exhaust manifold the temp would be much hotter than other places, but I am wondering about the engine case, oh, let's say around the starter motor? Or how about oil temp?

I obviously know that this will vary dependent upon ambient temp and speed through the wind and how well the fins dissipate the heat, but I am just trying to get a feeling for the range of temps that the engine case may get to.

I would assume the engine oil temp would be nearly the same? Right?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

DeLand Florida
    On three R100's with an oil temperature gauge (dipstick) and oil coolers I would see between 200 and 250. Once on my R80 riding double and stuck in traffic I saw over 280, much too high for my liking.

Albuquerque, NM
    The nikasil cylinder models--1981 on--shed heat more efficiently than the iron liner cylinder models.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Mission, TX
    My dipstick gauge will read between 200 and 250 when she's really warmed up. Just keep moving, I never let it sit and idle unless I'm stuck in traffic.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

That bike of yours is one of the sweetest running airheads I've ever seen/heard. Temp range is right on. I forgot to tell you, sometimes those dip-stick gauges require "worry-beads." As you say, keep it rolling.