• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid to late 70's Airhead engine temp

SCBuckeye

Does anyone have any information as to the temperature that an airhead runs at when warmed up?

I know down around the heads/exhaust manifold the temp would be much hotter than other places, but I am wondering about the engine case, oh, let's say around the starter motor? Or how about oil temp?

I obviously know that this will vary dependent upon ambient temp and speed through the wind and how well the fins dissipate the heat, but I am just trying to get a feeling for the range of temps that the engine case may get to.

I would assume the engine oil temp would be nearly the same? Right?

On three R100's with an oil temperature gauge (dipstick) and oil coolers I would see between 200 and 250. Once on my R80 riding double and stuck in traffic I saw over 280, much too high for my liking.

Wayne

The nikasil cylinder models--1981 on--shed heat more efficiently than the iron liner cylinder models.

My dipstick gauge will read between 200 and 250 when she's really warmed up. Just keep moving, I never let it sit and idle unless I'm stuck in traffic.

That bike of yours is one of the sweetest running airheads I've ever seen/heard. Temp range is right on. I forgot to tell you, sometimes those dip-stick gauges require "worry-beads." As you say, keep it rolling.

Back