• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Ebony 2014 RT

I did some interstate miles today and check speed vs RPM ... With the speedo set at a steady 76 MPH it was indicating 4100 ... On my 2009 the difference between the speedo and the MPH indicatesd on the GPS was 3 or 4 MPH, on my WetHead the difference is only 2 MPH ... So I set 76 MPH using the GPS readout And I was running at 4250 which is a hash mark on the Tach. Hope that helps.

Ditto, exactly the same difference between the GPS and speedometer at high speeds: with speedometer 2mph higher than the GPS. It's 1 mph at city speeds.

Took the R1200RT 2014 out, wow BMW really got it right with the engine on this one. My gripe with my 09 RT is 1st gear, on the 2014 it is great, it will pull in 1st gear with no throttle, it is lot's easier to drive in slow stuff it will just chug along in 1 gear. Hill assist is ok, I used it, don't know if it's that important because 1st gear is already very good. I think the police bikes will be amazing. The throttle response is also very good, especially in Dynamic mode, it revs quicker and has quite a bit more top end, it get's north of the century mark very quickly, I did not run it very hard but I could tell it has much more top end. My 09 has a Remus header and muffler, so I have very good throttle response, this 2014 is actually probably better. The other thing I really like was the electronic shift with no clutch you can shift both up and down, it's just a cool feature. My only negative was I get less wind buffeting on my 09 than I was getting on the 2014. My 09 has a Cee Bailey Sport shield that may be the difference, but this issue was very minor, the 2014 is a significantly better machine than my 09. This is is a winner!!!! I haven't had a GS this engine in a GS I bet is amazing. I may be leaning the GS route to try something different.

Took the R1200RT 2014 out, wow BMW really got it right with the engine on this one. My gripe with my 09 RT is 1st gear, on the 2014 it is great, it will pull in 1st gear with no throttle, it is lot's easier to drive in slow stuff it will just chug along in 1 gear. Hill assist is ok, I used it, don't know if it's that important because 1st gear is already very good. I think the police bikes will be amazing. The throttle response is also very good, especially in Dynamic mode, it revs quicker and has quite a bit more top end, it get's north of the century mark very quickly, I did not run it very hard but I could tell it has much more top end. My 09 has a Remus header and muffler, so I have very good throttle response, this 2014 is actually probably better. The other thing I really like was the electronic shift with no clutch you can shift both up and down, it's just a cool feature. My only negative was I get less wind buffeting on my 09 than I was getting on the 2014. My 09 has a Cee Bailey Sport shield that may be the difference, but this issue was very minor, the 2014 is a significantly better machine than my 09. This is is a winner!!!! I haven't had a GS this engine in a GS I bet is amazing. I may be leaning the GS route to try something different.

As I said when we talked BMW really hit the mark on this motor and and bike as a whole. I agree with the wind coverage, to me it just feels as thought there is more air movement around the ride envelope. That might actually be a good thing in the summer but I will looking into the after market screen

As I said when we talked BMW really hit the mark on this motor and and bike as a whole. I agree with the wind coverage, to me it just feels as thought there is more air movement around the ride envelope. That might actually be a good thing in the summer but I will looking into the aftermarket screens. I think the shape of the screen is the problem and a slight wider screen will be all that's needed.

Have not ridden the GS, but a friend of my who preceded me in the 2014 RT purchase came off a 2008 GSA, has ridden the new GS and GSA and decided to buy a 0 mile never titled 2012/13 Anniversary GSA to add to his collection. Besides a great deal he just prefers that model he said. Will use it sparingly and kinda keep as a Trophy model ... We will see about that.

As I said in my review, "if you ride it ... They got ya"!!!

Back