• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

78 r80/7 Fork Sliders

yankeeone

can someone add fork sliders to my title?
Hi, I have been cleaning up my new to me 78 r80/7, and I am up to the forks. I took the lower sliders off, and the oil looked pretty good, once the lowers were off I dropped the steering head and greased the bearings. Here is my question, looking on the Max parts site, nothing looked like what I have. I wanted to get new washers for the bottom Allen bolt that holds the sliders on, fine,those are there but there are springs inside the sliders at the bottom, they are about 3/4 diameter and about 3" long, are they rebound springs? they dont show up on the parts Fisk.sorry I cant do pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '78 R100/7 and on Max's microfisch for the R80/7, there should be just one long compression spring: 31 42 1 231 358 COMPRESSION SPRING (to 09/80).

My guess is that someone changed the fork spring configuration to stiffen them up?

anti dive springs

Hi, I think you will find the small springs are after market anti dive springs, when installed the large bottom rubber bump stop, has to be removed also you should have a rubber bump washer on top of each anti dive spring,same washer which installs inside chrome fork leg as a bomp stop , hope this assists ,Jimmy

Back