• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800GS changes in 2014

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
Hello riders. My wife is due for a renewal on her motorcycle as our daughter is inheriting Mom's F800ST. She has decided on a F800GS. Before we head to our local dealer I was wondering whether there are refinements in the new model year that make a new GS make sense? Or would a one or two - year old model be pretty much the same except for the miles?

Just angling to save some $$ to apply to my new bike later.

There have been improvements / refinements made over the years (typically NOT following the model year changes ... but just running into production whenever ...) but I"m not aware of any made in the 2013 or 2014 model timeframe.

I hope she is tall, the F800GS is taller then the R12GS, and without checking, is probably the tallest bike in the BMW line. The 2 things they NEED to fix, is a horrible seat, and soft front end. But fix those and they are a great bike.

The big addition for 2014 is the new F800GSA. Has different plastic that provides more weather protection, a 6.5 gallon fuel tank and other features that people often add to their GSs. The GS has beeen offered in a lowered version for a couple of years (not just a low seat that will be uncomfortable, a lower suspension). They are tall in stock form with a seat height around 33+ inches. The new GSA does not come in a lowered version. Unless she does some serious off road riding, the F700GS is a good, lower and less expensive option.

Duty First!

I just went through the process of finding a lighter bike, one that is less top heavy to replace my R1200R. I thought the F800GS would do the trick, but I could hardly put both feet on the ground. I am 6 feet tall and have a 31 in inseam. I tried a couple different seats on the bike too. The salesman then showed me the F700GS with lowered suspension. He also put on a BMW comfort seat for me to try. Moral of the story, always take a checkbook with you, because I bought the F700. The F700GS for some reason feels much lighter, probably due to the lower center of gravity since it sits on a smaller front wheel and has the lower suspension. I recommend looking at the F700 too.

Wayne

Unless she does some serious off road riding, the F700GS is a good, lower and less expensive option.

Duty First!

akbeemer, I agree with your thought here completely. The 800 is a really cool bike, and if hard core off-road riding is in the future for the bike, then the 800 is the best route to go, otherwise the 700 is the better choice. One thing to consider, if your concerned about the range of a 700 vs. the 800, if you wish to add an axillary tank, there is now an aftermarket gravity fed tank available, but it will not fit if you have the Vario paniers, due to clearance issues on the right side. If I had to do it over again, I'd have not purchased the BMW Vario paniers, and bought some one of the recommended panier sets that will accept the additional tank shell to increase the bikes range. Down the road, I'll probably make the switch out and add the extra tank, as I bought the bike to replace my K1200RS tour bike, so that if I find an off road area I want to explore on one of my long trips, I have the ability to exit stage left when I am so inclined....:).

The F800GT is another possibility if you don't do a lot of gravel or off road.

Ergos are pretty different from an S/ST and with Verholen bar backs and foot peg lowering, while not exactly an RT, are getting passably close

Hello riders. My wife is due for a renewal on her motorcycle as our daughter is inheriting Mom's F800ST. She has decided on a F800GS. Before we head to our local dealer I was wondering whether there are refinements in the new model year that make a new GS make sense? Or would a one or two - year old model be pretty much the same except for the miles? Just angling to save some $$ to apply to my new bike later.
If she fits the 800 then go for it, but don't shy from the 700, it is a very capable bike. I have the 800 and my wife has the 650 twin (the 700 took its place) and to tell you the truth there are days I like her bike a lot more than mine. They ALL share the same engine although the "650" and "700" were detuned the power difference when you ride them is hardly noticeable. They will both get you a speeding ticket very quick.

As far as changes they biggest changes were made in '13 I believe and they were subtle. Things like traction control were added as an available add on. As far as the basic bike goes, not a lot of changes since it was introduced aside from tings that were fixed via recall and then made standard.

Follow Up on the F800GS vs F700GS decision

Thanks for all the great input. Today we drove to our local BMW dealer to have a test ride or two. Karla really liked the F700GS and as luck would have it there was on newly arrived and still in the crate. She insisted that I also test ride the F700GS as I expected to ride it from time to time. When I ride her F800ST (which was lowered) my knees would be in pain after an hour or so. I took it out for a short ride and it was very nice although just a bit short for me. At stops my feet are flat on the ground. So probably not too low.

So Karla started picking out options and add-ons. The next thing you know, with tax, title, and options the $10K F700GS was $6 dollars shy of $15K.

In keeping with our long-standing "even steven" rule I selected an F800GS with almost identical accoutrements. Should be ready for us to pick up next week sometime.

Now, about farkles....

I hope when you ordered the new bikes, you also ordered the Comfort Seat. I ordered one with my F800GS last year and found it very comfortable for hours in the saddle.

Thanks Glenn. We did order two 2014 GS'es. Karla will have a F700GS and mine is an F800GS. Probably our retirement bikes....

We did order two 2014 GS'es. Karla will have a F700GS and mine is an F800GS. Probably our retirement bikes....
Great choice, pretty much the same thing my wife and I did back in 2011, only hers was the F650GS (twin). After 40,000 km on mine, 25,000 on hers, 3 long trips, many days local, they continue to run and ride like the day one. A skid plate to protect the pipes and engine front, a set of crash bars and handle bar guards, along with a set of soft bags were the only additions we added to her bike. Mine on the other hand......

Enjoy.

Let the break in begin...

We picked the bikes up yesterday and started the break in miles. I have to say a new bike is even better than that new car smell...

Back