• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Two-up on the R1200RT

tcdrew

This is my first post, so be gentle!

I'm looking pretty seriously at the R1200RT, but haven't been able to ride one yet. One of my big concerns is pillion comfort. Can anybody give me a report on how this bike performs 2-up, both for rider and passenger?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Tom
While I can't report on the new 1200 I put 50,000 miles on my '04 RT, many of them with the AS. I upgraded my seating to the corbin with the backrest that could be moved between the front seat and the pillion. The backrest added to her sense of security and comfort. I put many a 1000+ mile day on that bike with no real discomfort once I swapped the seat.

The new RT has more power and is smoother so I think that once you whip the seating issue you will have a nice touring machine.

have fun

I've got about a thousand or so miles two up on our RT.

It seems to work pretty well. Tina's behind me, slight higher, which allows her to see well, but keeps wind blast and stuff off of her. With similar heights, we can ride, well, briskly pretty easily. She likes the 50 liter top box as it provides decent back support without getting in the way when we're moving the mail. Legroom for two is roomy and we don't often kick each other. Suspension is easily dialed up to work for two folks and camping gear, though I'll probably move to an Ohlins when the stock shocks are goners.

The stock seats sort of suck for us, though some folks love them. The heated operation is nice for the pillion as is the extra power outlet mounted on the tailcone. It provides easy access for her. She especially likes the positioning of the grab handles. They fit down by the sides of her thighs where she can actually reach them.

Power two up is more than adequate. Passing maneuvers are performed with ease, though this motor, like other boxer motors, likes to be spun up to make significant power.

Truth be told, we bought this motorcycle as a two up bike. When we went to buy it, it was at the direction of MrsK. She liked that we could haul ass on this bike while she still had a very comfy position as co-rider. This fall, we're going to CLASS at Willow Springs to take a two up riding school on the track. This bike is that good. You can ride it like a sport bike and still be totally comfortable. Think of it as a two wheeled version of the 540i.

If you've got questions, I'm happy to answer them. I've got about 3K miles on our RT now.

Great info - Thanks!

Your comment about the seat got me thinking. If I order the heated seats, and then find that my SO doesn't like the seat, am I left out in the cold (pun intended)? Or are heated aftermarket seats available?

Thanks again!

tcdrew said:
Great info - Thanks!

Your comment about the seat got me thinking. If I order the heated seats, and then find that my SO doesn't like the seat, am I left out in the cold (pun intended)? Or are heated aftermarket seats available?

Thanks again!

Rocky Mayer can remake your seat and retain the heating function. That's probably what we're going to do. He did a great job with my GS's seat.

Hi Tom,

My wife and I just completed a tour of the New-England States and Maritime Provinces. As I mentionned in a previous ride report, the only flaw [ for us] of our new RT was the seat.

This tour was the first in over two decades with a stock seat. We always had either a Corbin or Sargent.

Now, to put things in perspective, we ride long hours in all sorts of weather. We found ourselves stopping more often. I kept on sliding forward and my wife, whose fairly small, kept on shifting her weight trying to find a comfy position. The seat doesn't seem to distribute the weight very well.

Needless to say, we've been on the waiting list with Sargent since day one. It's not that the stock seat is bad, or not well constructed, it's just doesn't suit our style of riding and personal needs.

Best regards,

Mike

Back