• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trying to find a part for '78 R100/7

SCBuckeye

I am not trying to turn this into a Flea Market, because I have put an ad there to purchase one of these with no response.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of these parts. It is one of the "vents" that goes on the Rear Snowflake Drum-type wheel. On the left side, there are 5 vent holes covered by little snap-in plastic covers. Over the years the little tabs that are supposed to hold them in, have broken off. I need one of these vent covers but have been unable to find one. I have advertised here on The Flea Market, called several dealers, who show that these are NLA, on the microfisch, I can't even see them listed.

I've attached a pic. If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can purchase one I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• Vent Cover_Rear Wheel.jpg
    Vent Cover_Rear Wheel.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 220
Check the Resources and Links for used parts and salvage yards. Airhead Salvage comes to mind. In addition to full dealers, try also calling Ted Porter or Tom Cutter.

Check the Resources and Links for used parts and salvage yards. Airhead Salvage comes to mind. In addition to full dealers, try also calling Ted Porter or Tom Cutter.

Thanks. I have already tried a couple of them, with no luck yet.

Try Re-Psycle BMW in Ohio.They have a lot of new and used parts there.I got a new air scoop for the air cleaner along with the grate that goes inside from them.one of the parts was nla but they had it.
George

Try Re-Psycle BMW in Ohio.They have a lot of new and used parts there.George

I have had an email off to them for about 3-4 days now. No answer yet. I have purchased from them as well, and as long as you go in person, they are OK. Not too efficient though with their email. Had same situation happen about 6 months ago. They will probably get around to checking their emails sometime or other.

Jimmy,

I don't think you're going to find the vent covers anywhere. I looked for some years ago and they were NLA then. I lost all of them one-by-one as time went on. Personally, I think we're better off without them. The openings w/o the vent covers lends itself to more air getting to the brake system. I've never had a problem without them, rain, shine or otherwise.

EBay?

Jimmy,

I don't think you're going to find the vent covers anywhere. I looked for some years ago and they were NLA then. I lost all of them one-by-one as time went on. Personally, I think we're better off without them. The openings w/o the vent covers lends itself to more air getting to the brake system. I've never had a problem without them, rain, shine or otherwise.

EBay?

You are probably right on all counts!

Today I spent some time talking to an old parts supplier, and he just chuckled. Had about 20 real SnowFlake wheels, no inserts! He said that the inserts were only used on early ones, and later casting was changed.

I think I should be able to find ONE !! I will keep trying. I am not a purist, but I am just trying to make it like it was originally.

How about that English outfit that was written up in the BMWMOA News last month. They are a salvage type business and the article had a lot of praise about how prompt, reliable, helpful, and economical..........Worth a try Bud........God bless.........Dennis

How about that English outfit that was written up in the BMWMOA News last month. They are a salvage type business and the article had a lot of praise about how prompt, reliable, helpful, and economical..........Worth a try Bud........God bless.........Dennis

I am going to try to get around to all of them if necessary. To tell you the truth, I was hoping that I might "jog" someone's memory and they might have some lying around in an old drawer or someplace. Maybe some people who don't generally check the Flea Market section.

BTW, I did finally find out the part number, with the help of that Airhead parts place: 36 32 1 238 303 (set of five). I just want one!

I was looking on bob's bmw microfiche, R80RT, 1982-1984, wheels and tires and i noticed item number 5. Don't know if this will fit but it looks like what the OP is looking for.

05 36 32 1238303 INSTALLING SET GRID 1 E $4.75

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
After talking to several used parts locations, and still waiting for RePsycle to email me back (over two weeks) I got a call from someone who remembered one that had been sitting around.

Thanks to all of you for your help, and to the Mods for allowing this thread to stay up. If it hadn't been for this, I would still be looking, as anyone who wanted to sell one one these probably wouldn't think to look at the Flea Market with this in mind!

I am not trying to turn this into a Flea Market, because I have put an ad there to purchase one of these with no response.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of these parts. It is one of the "vents" that goes on the Rear Snowflake Drum-type wheel. On the left side, there are 5 vent holes covered by little snap-in plastic covers. Over the years the little tabs that are supposed to hold them in, have broken off. I need one of these vent covers but have been unable to find one. I have advertised here on The Flea Market, called several dealers, who show that these are NLA, on the microfisch, I can't even see them listed.

I've attached a pic. If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can purchase one I would appreciate it!

I've got a 3D printer. if someone can get me either an original, or a -really good- set of extremely detailed photographs, with a scale reference object in the shots ( a penny will do) I can try to make a copy.

I was looking on bob's bmw microfiche, R80RT, 1982-1984, wheels and tires and i noticed item number 5. Don't know if this will fit but it looks like what the OP is looking for.

05 36 32 1238303 INSTALLING SET GRID 1 E $4.75

That is indeed what he's looking for, but it's no longer available from BMW. I checked BMW Classic in Germany and same story.

There are businesses that "weld" plastic (much to my surprise). They could weld on new tabs that then could be trimmed to size. I once broke a plastic piece that was no longer available (not from a bike) and had it repaired via that means.

Just throwing it out there just in case.

Cheers

Thanks to this thread, I already found a leftover from somewhere.

However, the tabs are so small, that using the "vent" once will do it in. Apparently they were made never to be removed, and if so, new ones would be used to replace them.

They were a poor design, as they are uniform (from piece to piece) but the holes in the cast wheel are not. Therefore, they don't fit just right. But . . . they served their purpose and were probably pretty cheap to replace so BMW went with them. Now . . . 36 years later, the vents aren't so plentiful, dog-gone near impossible to find! I guarantee, mine won't fall out again!

I am intrigued by the idea of getting some made by the 3-D printer. While I don't have any available to detail-measure, I could probably get a pretty reliable sketch together to see if more could be made.

3D prinitng would be interesting, if you had a solid-model file to work from.

If anyone has one in pristine, or near pristine, condition I, or anyone else, could make a single cavity RTV silicone mold off of it and cast them ou of black polyurethane. Production rate wouldn't be very high (maybe ten minutes per cycle) but then neither is the market.

I could make a file for 3D printing, but like I said, I'd need an original, at least long enough to take a bunch of pictures and measurements.

Back