• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT (2004) Headlights Out

The model difference seems to be correct.
However the burnt ground cable at the head light happened on my 2004 RT WITH fuses.

This morning when I set out for my commute, at the bottom of the driveway, I noticed that I had no headlight. No low beam, no high beam. Euro switch was in the on position. Actuating high/low and euro switch had no effect. To be honest, I have noticed a couple of times on startup that I had a weak highbeam instrument light on, on the instrument display, even though I was in lowbeam mode. Switching the beam switch back and forth once or twice resulted in the dim light going away, and then things functioned normally. This may or may not have the slightest thing to do with having no lights this morning. All other startup functions, indicators, and lights function normally. Your thoughts appreciated.

Sounds exactly like my problem. I turned off the moto at the border crossing. headlight switch was set to low bean as it was getting dark.
When I started up the moto again I noticed that my high beam light was on on the instrument panel. I toggled the switch and nothing happened. As I was driving away I noticed I had no lights!
Fortunately there was enough daylight left to get to my brother place close by where I spent the night. Replaced the bulb, and checked the fuses (no luck, mine is 1996) the next day.
Thanks for the info on the ground. I will check that out ASAP!

Parking lamp works. No headlight. High beam indicator stays lit.

Same problem here. I pulled the moto off the road, checked all lights (turn, brake, 4-way, parking) all were good, except the headlight. High beam indicator constantly lit.

same problem with my 04 1150rt

I found this thread and have the same problem. My headlight, low and high bulbs and right fog light are not working. I found what I believe to be a burned brown wire underneath the lower (low) bulb. It looks like I cant get to it unless I take the windshield and front fairing off, is that correct? Haven't had any experience removing the windshield and front fairing but it looks like the only way to get to this area. Hopefully I can re solder the wire or is the part it is connected to going to have to be replaced?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Hello Bill, did you find your defect?
If not you can check your ground connector inside the head light. For some reason the ground wire burns out and leaves your lights dead. Probably the loose connector contact and the high amps (ground for fog,high and low beam) are the problem. The picture shows my head light (upside down). My 2004 reacted just like yours.
By the way, all the lights get ground only thru the brown cable from connector X9010 (ground=brown, fog=greyblack, high beam=white/yellow, low beam=white) under the upper front trim panel (disconnected cable in picture).
For more electric trouble shooting the diagrams from Mac-Pac are a helpful tool http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 78
Success!

I was able to take the front fairing and headlight assembly apart enough to replace the bad connection on the ground wire to the low beam bulb. I could not get the glass off the front of the headlight assembly. I removed the clamps but the seal has been on too long and I didn't want to take a chance on breaking the glass. I would also like to know how to get the small parking light bulb out of the headlight assembly. I thought I could pull the rubber housing out from the underside but it wouldn't budge. I don't need to replace the bulb but it seems like it can only be replaced by taking the glass off the front of the headlight. Any suggestions are welcome.....

The parking light is indeed a "press fit" in its hole - if it's never been removed before, it will be more difficult, but you have to wiggle the rubber/plastic base back & forth a bit to gently break it free from the headlight housing. Wiggle it, move your fingers 90 degrees and wiggle again (in a new direction), and it will pull straight down and out. It has a small groove in its lip that captures the housing to seat it and help waterproofing.

If its glass has darkened, you might as well replace it; slightly brighter bulbs with the same base are available at an auto parts store if you want.

Thanks for the info. I was reluctant to pull on the light bulb housing because it was so difficult to move. Now I know how it is supposed to work. Everything is back together again but I will know for the next time.

BTW, the headlight adjustment cable was another problem. I'm sure it would have come apart if I had been more interested in removing it but didn't want to have to put it back together again and take a chance that I didn't do it correctly.

The parking light is indeed a "press fit" in its hole - if it's never been removed before, it will be more difficult, but you have to wiggle the rubber/plastic base back & forth a bit to gently break it free from the headlight housing. Wiggle it, move your fingers 90 degrees and wiggle again (in a new direction), and it will pull straight down and out. It has a small groove in its lip that captures the housing to seat it and help waterproofing.

If its glass has darkened, you might as well replace it; slightly brighter bulbs with the same base are available at an auto parts store if you want.

Nice thread here on grounding issues

My lights on my R1150 RTP seem to have a similar issue with a ground fault.
I hit the bar end with a rubber hammer they blink. I hit the rear crash bar they blink on.
I replaced the right light switch. It didn't change anything.
My turning signal, parking light, caution lights, headlights, fog lights, and accessory lights all are dead. My brake lights work, but I think they are a different ground. Hitting the bar end or crash bars did cause the lights to work until I hit a bump. Now they just blink on and back off. How should I create a new ground for the front lights ? I think my ground under the airbox came loose. It is too much work to get the airbox off on an rt. Besides the lights everything else seems to be fine on this 2002 R1150 RTP with 90k on the odometer

Back