• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

More Dissasemble

Took the right fork apart a little more. This lower leg won't be used as it will be replaced by a right leg made from a left leg slightly modified to be a brake leg. Will find it and post a pic. Need to call and order some parts for the caliper brake parts. Twin discs will have a nice look. Was at Bloodworth BMW in Nashville a few of days ago and they had a '74 R90S outside. Checked out the twin disc setup; yep it's goin to look good on my build.

Sitten around feeling sorry for myself about not being at Barber wasn't goin to accomplish a thing. Dragged out a old hot plate and heated the lower fork up to 400 degrees. Got some prybars out and with some gentle persuasion and a few choice words removed the bearing and race off the lower fork assembly. Felt pretty good to do it without heliarc welder or pullers. Cleaned up the upper fork yoke. The two large fork spring retainers and the large chrome top retainer crown nut look a little weathered and beat. Will look into replacing them. Just movin along with the job. :groovy
Next time your over at the hangar I'll show you how BMW pulls that bearing off. We used it the other day when we separated the drive shaft. It takes about 5 minutes to pull the bearing.

Hanger Salvation

Thx Rick, I really appreciate all the help. Sometimes the only way to do something is with the right tools. Got some good pics to post from Friday tech day. Computer is off getting a tuneup. Will post them, when the computer is back, up and running. Big Ron came over Sat. and delivered a Ate caliper for my 2nd disc. Marshal donated it. I couldn't do this build without a lot of help from friends. Looking forward to bringing the fork assembly's and you taking the lead on that project. Thx Barrry

Ron delivered the 2nd caliper and we proceeded to try some procedures to remove the paint from the frame and related pieces. Didn't really make progress. Ron had a plan B. He took the frame, subframe, and swing arm and will take them to an automotive shop where he works. They will be soaked in a chemical vat for a couple of days. He says it will do the job. I've done this job with aircraft paint remover, bead blast, and now a chemical vat. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

Race, seals etc. removal

Rick made short work removing the seals and races from the steering neck and swingarm. Very nice to get this done and move the project along. I was called away during the process and Rick delivered the parts to the house. Thx much. I like watching Rick at work. He's on the money.

Hanger Bike Shop and Social Center

L-R Rick, Jim, Kevin. Rick was servising his Vasserboxer GS, Jim mounted and balanced a new tire for his Honda ST1100. I don't know what Kevin was doing, but when the fight breaks out I'm on his side. :laugh A lot of work gets done on our bikes here. It's been a great place for me to hang out the last few years. Thx Guy's. :thumb

Back