• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Deconstruction

Taking the bike a part does that. Kinda the dirty part and much easier than reassembly. A lot of bikes get dissasembled with good intentions of the owner to be restored. Then their parted out or sold as is. But this bike will be put back together; this ain't my first rodeo. Front end and the swing arm have to be removed. The drive shaft has to be removed from the swingarm. Seems endless, but you move along component by component. Front forks will be dissaembled and rebuilt. One thing about it now is that it is light and easy to move around. When I got ready to roll it out to take pics, I couldn't find the front axle. A socket extension made a fine front wheel axle.

Glad that's done. Now more time can be done on rebuild. The ID plate was one I added in the econo rebuild back in '90. The original was half cut into by a wayward cable. The only thing left to remove is the ID plate and the key lock assembly and the crome cover. Last time I stripped the frame was with aircraft paint remover. Hope to strip it this time by bead blasting. Whatever it takes. Finally, a little progress.

CBB Rebuild and Resurrection

Assembly date 12/73 VIN 4043665 I'll probabbly add a new ID plate as part of rebuild. Time for a glass of wine and relax and enjoy the long weekend. :drink

The races not Indy or Nascar

Forgot to mention that I have to remove the two bearing races top and bottom in the steering stem. Gotta find someone with a tig wire welder. Run a bead around the race and they will fall out. Now back to the important races. :groovy

Assembly date 12/73 VIN 4043665 I'll probabbly add a new ID plate as part of rebuild.

Why not leave it as original? Something of a conversation piece...I think it's going to be difficult to find the right sized stamps.

I have the original ID plate, somewhere back in the shed. This bike had a Windjammer added back in the day when I got it. Anyway when I dissasembled the bike back in '91; I happily removed the fairing. The real ID plate was just about sawed in half by an outarout cable. Probably due to the previous owner routing the cables improperly adding the fairing. If I use this Id plate it will be to honor the '91 resto. Funny about a bike you've have for a long time. Every piece becomes a thought out process. Pro and con. I will give it some thought. :wave

Races to Remove

Just talked to Flyboy#1, apparently we have the pullers to remove these races at the hanger. Good. Excellent. Yea. :brow I'm quietly happy.

I was kinda worried about this little job. Been awhile since I did this on a couple of other bikes. Freshened up by reading Snowbum's article. The pin holding the chrome cover drove out easy. Found the key after a short search. Inserted the key did the turn and out came lock assembly. Piece a cake, what could be easier. What a relief. :D

Forgot to mention that sometime in the past I was hamfisted using this lock. The round nose of the assembly is somewhat trashed and burred as is the slot in the steering stem. A little file work will clean this up. I want this assembly to work, but I don't plan on using it. I rarely if ever lock up the bike. I carry the long red BMW cable lock if I feel I need a little security. :nra

BMW cable lock that came out in the late 70's/early 80's for bike security. You fitted up in the backbone frame of the bike. The nose of the tool box secured it in place. Probably used it a total of 2 or 3 times in 20 years of carrying it. It actually appears pretty substantial.

Got the tumbler back out and used a file to clean up the nose and work on the two flats that fit thru the steering stem. The tumbler was stamped with this letter number. M0317/A stamped on the slotted rectangular part of the tumbler. Is that the key number. Snowbum doesn't mention letter/numbers on the tumbler. Going to get a couple of spares made. Will use the key that I have as the master.

Back