• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Was running outta blast bead media. Swept up the blast media, filtered and reused. Ya do what ya gotta do. :thumb

Picture 072.jpg
Did ok on the ears, the head light bucket was tough. My buddy Leo will finish it in a pressureized bead blast cabinet. Thx. I've had enough of that nasty business.

/7 Horn Frame Tabs

I want to run dual horns on the side of my bike along with the solo horn on the front of the frame. The /7's have the tabs already welded to the frame. I've been studying a way to do it. Weld in tabs to the frame or fab up some removable mounts. Will probably bring in my goto guy Ron for some expertise. The reason for this set up, I want to run the stock horn for lite duty use, and dual horns for serious attention gettin. The tab for the stock single horn has been broken off and it too needs to be replaced. Need to get this done so the frame can get painted and move this project along.

Took my rear rim and frame over to my buddy Leo. He'll spoke the wheel and weld the tabs on the frame. Hopefully get some movement on the project.

Marshall Robilio Lends a Hand

When I was bead blasting my headlight ears, I noticed one was in a sad state. There was a tear in the weld in the 2 componets of the ear and several other dings and bends. Fixable and usable. That was what I was thinking when I finished beadblasting it. It finally dawned on me that I really needed a better ear. Off to Marshall's shop in Memphis. Marshall has a very good supply of BMW airhead parts. Looking thru his supply, we found a better ear; with just a few small dings. Marshall went out and found a round pipe of the right size, clamped it up. Fitted the ear over the pipe and with a small body hammer proceeded to hammer out the small dings. Almost perfect, really neat.

True craftsmen at work

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 041.jpg
After peening out the nicks, Marshall starts working out the slight imperfections to a finer state of round. Watching Marshall work is a true joy. Success. He's going to help me paint the head light bucked and the ears. A lesson in fabrication and now a lesson in painting. Great. A 86 year old craftsmen educating a 61 year old neophyte. Respect your elders, grasshoppers. :bow

Grinding It Out

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 058.jpg
Grinding it out kinda means all the rough, tedious, nasty work you push on through to get to the neat stuff.
Deconstruction, dissasembly, stripping, sanding, scrubbing. cleaning. Getting rid of all the crud, tarnish, imperfections, dings, dimples, cracks, worn out, broke, and deteriorated components. Will be glad to get on to the neat stuff. The headlight bucket, both ears will get one more round of beadblasting. Hope to get started on the process of painting them along with the insrument cluster mount at Marshall's, ASAP. The fun stuff is coming, finally.

Nice work on the bearing race removal, I really like the tool he used. By the way it looks like you guys are working in a hangar? If so what airport???

Classified and top secret, only on a need to know basis. Area 51. FBI, IRS, CIA do not have access. Off Limits and No Trespassing. Keep Out. Just between us, It's the West Memphis, Ark. Regional Airport. It's been a godsend for me. Nice place to hang out and work on our bikes. Usually it's a Friday all day event. A lot of comraderie and usually BMW's are serviced. Other bikes are worked on from time to time, though. Glad I got access. 2 thumbs up. :thumb :thumb

Small Support Group

I have a small support group that has helped me keep going on this project. Their all BMW and motorcycle enthusiasts, just like me. They all wrench and ride to vaying degrees. Thanks, seems like to little of a responce. But, they know I mean it and I try to help them on their projects. Thanks Guys. Barry

1600 Bagger

Was reading Fall 2014 BMW Magazine today. Under the Briefs section, a short article on the possibility of a 1600 Bagger being in the pipeline. Maybe I'm a pioneer. Sitting here smiling.:laugh

True Pioneer

Just dawned on me. I graduated from Batesville High School, Arkansas. We are the Pioneers. The Orange and Black will live forever, Class of '71. I believe I clueless as to the existence BMW motorcycles, autos, airplanes back in the day. But, I am a proud Pioneer.

A bit OT...but did you know Mark Martin? He was from Batesville, famous NASCAR racer although he hasn't been actively racing the past couple of years.

Back