• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Temporary Seperation

The drive shaft seperated from the splined bell housing. I find the tapered drive shaft kinda neat. Used to cut some tapers in my former life as a job shop machinist, many years ago. This assembly is usually seen inside the swingarm. The swingarm is off being vatted to remove paint.

2nd Caliper

Picture 002.jpg
Been lookin for my right fork leg for the project, but I come across this stuff. Brake caliper, powder coated clutch arm, engine bolts, stand hardware, and air box bolt. Good. Time to do some serious huntin for parts back there. Still gota find that fork leg.:scratch

Hot Acid Vat

Not near as good as I'd hoped for; but no harm no foul. Will bead blast it off to bare metal. I worked at a state of the art automotive and machine shop 20 years ago, Dobbs Motorsport. Had the best equipment available at that time. We had a full size pressureized bead blasting machine. It would take any full size motorcycle frame in the cabinet. It made short work of sripping frames to bare metal. 'You just don't know what you got till it's gone.' Juise Newton :dance Will try a home shade tree type total loss system next.

Got to thinkin about the paint on the frame. Peter Guldan painted that frame for me over 20 years ago. Peter was big into restoring his own bikes at that time. Nortons, Indians, Harley's, Vincents, BMW /2's, etc. His bikes were featured in Classic Bike magazine. He did outstanding work. Whatever he did, it stuck to the frame. Thx a lot Peter, now I got to get it off. :laugh

When you get all the way down to raw, check the areas indicated by the arrows; perfect locations to start a crack.

But me thinks you know about that already
icon_wink.gif

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 244
Yeah, Fluffy and I were just discussin that. I think one of the 'fixed' spots from the '90 resto has a new crack.:thumb

Not much meat down there considering what gets hung on it, especially if you ride two-up; my wife is short and always used the passenger pegs as boarding steps.

I'm a little depressed; had plans to start bead blasting with the home put togather blaster. Just to wet and damp out for that. Need to clean the garage, but I gotta pull a lot of stuff out and it's just to wet outside for that. May go out and search for lost parts. June monsoons bring July mosquito's. I know, it ain't rhyming. Dang skeeters. I usually really cuss when I mention those blood terrorists. :D

Not much meat down there considering what gets hung on it, especially if you ride two-up; my wife is short and always used the passenger pegs as boarding steps.

That little area is an anoyance. Not much to it and all of them crack thru. Fixxed several thru the years on other twins. Kinda like the secret handshake. When you know about that crack it tells me you know your airheads. :hug

Bead Blast 80 Grit

Used the total loss bead blast system. Pretty good. Went thru 25 lbs., and got the swingarm, subframe and maybe a fourth of the main frame done. Gotta get some more media.

Picture 062.jpg
The total loss bead blast stuff. 20 lbs 80 grit media, used in connection to a 60 gallon 6 hp air compressor. Worked pretty good. I also used razor blades, box knife, and cordless drill motors with wire brushes. It all removed some of the paint. Kinda sad after using state of the art equipment. But the end result is to get to a quality redone motorcycle. Going to get back at it. Ron is looking into getting the frame stripped at a shop for a reasonable price. Will most likely use the total loss setup on some smaller pieces.

Picture 065.jpg
Got some more bead and finished the frame. Glad that's done. Nasty, dirty work. Time to crack open a bottle of wine. Century Farm. Heritage Red. Um Um. Fruity Nose, Pleasant on the Pallet. :drink:laugh Is 2014 a good year? My tongue says YES.

Back