Thread: Inner tube replacement interval

Nick Kennedy

Inner tube replacement interval

How often are people replacing there inner tubes on tubed tires when you put on new tires?
    Everytime?
    Every 2nd or 3rd time and why?

I replace the tube everytime I replace the tire. I do it for safety...as I recall it's relatively cheap.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I replace the tube everytime I replace the tire. I do it for safety...as I recall it's relatively cheap.
    That's the manufacturers recommendation as well and the way you could look at it if you were frugal like me, is that you get the new tire and tube and install together. Remove old tire and tube, discard tire and keep tube as a backup until next tire replacement. ;-)
    Regards, Alan
    President BMWONS # 097 / BMW MOA # 190956 / Airheads # 14457
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '04 R1150RT / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I generally inspect mine and unless I see a problem, I replace them every other tire change. If my tire replacement interval exceeds 5 years, I replace the tube regardless. My rationale is that it's recommended that you replace your tires every 5 years (or thereabout), since the tires harden, degrade from environmental exposure and heat cycling, etc. I figure that the tubes have less exposure than the tires themselves, but after five years (or two tires), it's cheaper to change the tube while the tire is off than have a problem and have to do so between tire changes. I think I saw Matt Parkhouse practices a similar tube change interval (every other tire change).
    Just my practice- proceed at your own risk.

Last edited by jad01; 05-10-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    That's the manufacturers recommendation as well and the way you could look at it if you were frugal like me, is that you get the new tire and tube and install together. Remove old tire and tube, discard tire and keep tube as a backup until next tire replacement. ;-)
    That's the way I look at it
    For the most part I think tire spoons are worse on tubes than age
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    That's the way I look at it
    For the most part I think tire spoons are worse on tubes than age
    OM
    Every time is how you do it........Why question and go cheap????......Do what you please it's only your passenger that is putting their faith in YOUR maintenance decisions.....God bless.....Dennis

If it has been a long interval since I last changed tires I found that I can go through a several tubes on the first tire Thereafter I start to converge on one tube per tire. I plan for a tube change with each tire change, but try to have at least one extra (of the correct size on hand, just in case). I save the old tubes for a while - I have cut them up and made gaskets or other things [Note: I really don't like the newer generation of fuel containers, there is no vent hole to facilitate effective pouring into a tank - so I make my own vent - just take a small drill bit and drill into the handle which is usually a high spot when pouring, I use a small wood or sheet metal screw with the used tire tube gasket to seal the hole when storing the fuel.]

One of the tools that I've found useful is a little do-dad, typically affixed to a small cable. This do-dad goes from the inner radius of the wheel through the hole in the rim for the valve stem; the do-dad is threaded into the tube stem - first remove the valve core. Then the tube stem can then be pulled though the hole more easily - I hate trying the push the tube stem through the hole, never enough room with one side of the tire bead installed and one side out.

The link below has more info on these do-dads -
    http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...epairs-easier/
    http://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-Val...?tag=ap0db8-20
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dislike tubes. Annie's F800GS uses tubes; my 1993 GSPD with spoked wheels did not use tubes; why the giant leap backwards? I put new tires on her bike recently and for the first time that I can recall pinched the tube on the rear tire. She got a new tube. She carries tubes, a bead breaker, a pump and all the needed tools to fix a flat on the road, but I think it will be a very ugly day if I have to break the beads on the F800's wheels while along side a dark and stormy highway. I really dislike tubes.

By the way, I'm pretty sure they are known as thingamajigs... not do-dads.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Throw in a rim lock Kevin, you will be fine
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Nick Kennedy
    The reason I asked is that a pair of tubes is about 40-45 bucks. This adds substantially to the tire change out bill.
    And I've got of pile of tubes lying around that all look pretty good to me!
    Thanks for all the responses and opinions.

Just noting that the change interval for the tire inflation valves with tubeless tires is every tire change.

You've got the same thing bonded to your tubes.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I replace the tube and the spoke liner every time I replace tires. Last year, a spoke liner apparently snapped causing a hole in the tube and an instant flat. Thankfully, I was at an intersection and not rolling, but it still cost me a new tire due to the long, slow roll home.
    You mean BMW makes automobiles???

images-3.jpeg

Back in the days of hot patches, had a high school bud that kept on patching his rear tube over and over...I laughed pretty hard the day the stem let go at a pretty good pace..after he was stopped of course.
    Went to Western Auto and bought him a tube so we could get home.I think it lived with more patches until that bike was gone...never a pressure checker and always riding in the crud at intersections. We used to bet on how long into our ride it would happen again. Good times.

For me, depends on how fast I am going thru tires and the brand of tube. The Metzler tubes seem way stouter than the cheaper alternatives. If I am wearing a tire out in two months opposed to two years, I'm using the tube and liner again. On the Airhead, no riders and I know my risks.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait