Thread: 1974 R90/6 electronic ignition install

1974 R90/6 electronic ignition install

I am restoring a 1974 R90/6 and would like to install an electronic ignition system. What is involved?

Thank's so much

Best Wishes,

San Antonio, TX
    Bob -

Do you have a specific electronic ignition in mind? Some are straightforward while others are a bit more complex.

There are several kinds and I'll try to list what I can think of:

- replacement of points/condenser but keeps the mechanical advance unit...the Dyna III is one of those
    - replace points/condenser/advance unit...the Boyer Microdigital is one; the Alpha is another (maybe be bike years specific, though)
    - there are the crank mounted ignition system (the ones above are camshaft mounted)... Omega and Silent Hektik I believe are examples of these

Anton has a bit more description of them here:
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

P Monk
    Port Neches, Texas

easy install

I installed an omega which lasted about a year then died. Went back to points for a while, but became interested in the Alpha that Rick Jones sells. That one has the brains installed in a much cooler environment and has been working out very well.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.