Thread: Airhead Charging and ignition (Electrical) Systems Textbook

Airhead Charging and ignition (Electrical) Systems Textbook

As the year comes to a close and I look forward to infrequent rides owing to foul weather and winter conditions, I am thinking that a tutorial on Airhead electric systems would be a useful read over the long winter evenings. Since I bought a 1979 R100S, I'll need to reacquaint myself with all the workings of the systems.

Is there a recommended text available? Maybe the collected works of Matt Parkhouse or Oak have been compiled and I could read those over the winter. Looking for a general understanding that (hopefully) includes Airhead-specific examples and some of the considerations related to various available options such as aftermarket electronic ignition, dual-plugging, etc.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

SgtBill -

I don't know of anything specific other than some of the items for sale, such as the charging booklet from Motorrad Elektrik. What I would suggest is the following:

- go to the Charging and Electrics section in the link in my signature line. Some of those are to websites like Motorrad Elektrik, EuroMotoElectrics, with things for sale. But some of the links are to websites with discussion topics

- go to Snowbum's website and look through his electrical section - http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techni...icles-list.htm - if that doesn't keep you busy, I don't know what will!

- in another section of the references - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispla...and-References - you'll see threads about indexed articles in the ON for Matt as well as very old ON back to even 1972. If you have those ON magazines, you can read them. There are a handful of ON that are digital, probably back to 2009 or so.

- there's the videos in Chris Harris' youtube channel...you'll have to be careful of his language - https://www.youtube.com/user/Bavaria...rWrench/videos

- the Chicago Region has put out a very good 3-ring binder on electrics for the Airheads; their store is here - http://www.crbmw.com/rokcart

I hope that provides something to keep you inside for the winter!!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The book (actually it's a booklet) from Motorrad Elektric is about as good as it gets. If I remember correctly, the title is "Classic Boxer Electrics".

Having thought about this for a few moments, I might have seen it offered in the back section of the "Bing" book. That is an interesting read in and of itself.
    Last edited by James.A; 12-30-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: content

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    The book (actually it's a booklet) from Motorrad Elektric is about as good as it gets. If I remember correctly, the title is "Classic Boxer Electrics".

Having thought about this for a few moments, I might have seen it offered in the back section of the "Bing" book. That is an interesting read in and of itself.
    The title is: Classic Boxer Charging: Self Help for the Electrically Challenged, BMW Twins 1970 - 1995.

As far as I'm concerned it is the definitive treatment for understanding and troubleshooting Airhead charging systems. If anybody has done a better job I'd need to see it before I could agree it might be better.

$26.50 (and worth it) from Motorrad Elektrik and from $84 to $129 from Amazon (yes that is nuts).
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I'm off to Motorrad Elektrik web site

Many thanks for the pointer. I'll also check out SnoBum's site. I have looked at some of the YouTube videos from Chris Harris and have turned on the profanity filters when needed.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML & 79 R100S
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    yes motorad electric is your answer for older airheads
    81 R100RT