Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: volunteers

volunteers

Hi kids,just sittin'here,thinkin'back'bout the Thorogood concert on Friday night,and figured I'd put my 2 cents worth in.Myself,and a bunch of others that were workin'the beer garden during the concert,( and missed the concert) had t'put up with a great number of people that were pissed off,cuz they had to wait,while we poured each and every beer into cups,on account of some contract that'd been struck. Am not sure if the folks thought we actually enjoyed havin'to take the extra time,to snap open,and pour evry single beer that was sold,but lemmee assure ya,i for one,didn't find any pleasure out of doin'it,and i have a suggestion to make,to those that were inconvenieced by havin'to wait,impatiently,next ime,why don't YOU volunteer,and see how ya like it!Hope ya enjoyed the concert,i hear it was good...Nose
    Nose

You guys did a good job under hard conditions. I know some of the folks I was with were upset, but it was at the situation, not the people who were under obligations. And once I mentioned to them that there was a draft wagon closer to the concert action and I got my beer and was half gone before they came back from the Beer Garden line. That settled them down.

You needed to put up a bunch of signs on the beer serving tables that read "NO BITCHING"...............................then if they kept on, just point to the sign.

Beer Garden Volunteers

You guys all were AWESOME!

When we hired Thorogood, we knew this would be a pain in the butt for the beer garden folks. Thanks for coming through for us in a hot and stressful setting. I know the tapper-wagon out in the cheap-seats was busy, but I also think there were lots of folks who didn't know it was there.

Thanks again for going above and beyond the call of duty.

PS --- I just HATE IT when people yell at volunteers. I was thinking that the volunteer buttons should have read:
    "Hey - I'm on vacation TOO"
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Buttons for the volunteers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke

PS --- I just HATE IT when people yell at volunteers. I was thinking that the volunteer buttons should have read:
    "As a matter of fact, I don't work for you!" or "Would you like to wait or shall I close up for the night?"
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

I was there from noon til 4, and then merritgene and I stayed on until 6ish because the follow on shift was understaffed. I remember the lines being pretty nonexistant up until the bit where we had to pour the drinks into cups, and then they were about 8 deep all the way down the tables.

I'm thinking that we would have been better served (sic) by contracting to put people at the gates to the concert that denied access without your drink in a cup, rather than the bottleneck we had at the beer tent, but everyone I ran into seemed to be pretty good-natured about it when we told them it was a contract obligation with george.

All things considered, it was a lot of fun volunteering at the beer tent, and I personally look forward to doing more volunteer work in VT.

See you there!

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einnar
    we would have been better served (sic) .... rather than the bottleneck
    You forgot the "(sic)" after bottleneck.

Seriously though, it was suggested to me that the MOA consider hiring people to staff the Beer Garden during the concert, so no one had to miss it. Since I wanted to see the concert, this idea appealed to me, but honestly, all we really needed was more people to volunteer during that time.

Like Einnar said, it was somewhat pointless for us to pour the beer/water/soda into cups, when people could bring anything from their coolers. I understand there were contractural obligations, but enforcement seemed to be an issue.

I was thinking that the volunteer buttons should have read: "Hey - I'm on vacation TOO"
    I think that's a great idea, although I didn't experience a single issue with anyone being rude or unappreciative. On the contrary, I met a lot of people and made some good friends. I proudly wore my Volunteer button the rest of the weekend.

I'm curious what the total number of volunteer slots/people/hours were available versus the total attendance.

I've said it elsewhere, but volunteering MADE the rally experience what it was: camaraderie, fellowship, friendship, etc. In a word: FUN.
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

Luckies

I know what you mean, I helped out a little at the vendor registration and letÔÇÖs just say that not all of the vendors are nice. Most are, but some can be a little of a pain.

Dave

When I co-chaired the RA rally in Greenfield, I made name tags that said, "Don't yell at me, I'm a volunteer!"

Seemed to work pretty well. I think it reinforced the notion that this is a volunteer effort, not a night at the Hilton.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene
    You forgot the "(sic)" after bottleneck.
    Didn't want to make people too sic....

Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene
    I proudly wore my Volunteer button the rest of the weekend.
    Same here. Was approached in the vendor area by a rider who wanted to tell someone that there was no TP in one of the bathrooms there too. I started to tell him that I had the volunteer badge from the beergarden, but decided "I can fix this", and went off in search of someone with a radio. It's all about doing what you can for another rider.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Thanks Einar.

Yup, sometimes it is just finding someone who knows what they are doing and taking a minute.

BTW Ray thanks for getting the ATM refilled.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

SCDorman
    My son still has his volunteer button affixed to his (permanently attached) baseball cap.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einnar
    Didn't want to make people too sic....

Same here. Was approached in the vendor area by a rider who wanted to tell someone that there was no TP in one of the bathrooms there too. I started to tell him that I had the volunteer badge from the beergarden, but decided "I can fix this", and went off in search of someone with a radio. It's all about doing what you can for another rider.
    I am guessing that the folks that I normally hang out with were wondering what happened to me during the rally. Well, I became a sort of volunteer commando. With my rally chair shirt and hat on, I was asked to help folks from getting water to directions, to help set stuff up, and on and on.

Heck I even ended up on stage handing out keys to beemerville with 15 minutes notice. I had a blast doing it, and it was great fun helping others.
    I am not sure about next year, if I will do as much, but I would like to spend more time with my friends in Vermont, where the hills are bigger than highway overpasses.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I know what you mean Gale. I was a rally virgin, and wanted to go hang out more with some of the fine people I'd just met, but kept getting gathered up into fun volunteer-like events.

Thumbs up Blues Brothers!

You guys all were AWESOME!

When we hired Thorogood, we knew this (no beer cans) would be a pain in the butt for the beer garden folks. Thanks for coming through for us in a hot and stressful setting. I know the tapper-wagon out in the cheap-seats was busy, but I also think there were lots of folks who didn't know it was there.
    One of my favorite movies was the Blues Brothers and when the place they played had a mesh fence to stop the beer bottles thrown at them.

I guess Thorogood didn't want that to happen. I was working at the registration tent all during the concert and could hear it clearly. Didn't need a pacemaker as the thumping bass kept my heart going constantly.
    Can't wait for the RA rally in Tennessee where we will hear some really good music.