• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"consumer reports" ...well, reports

the Wizard of Oz
Just stumbled across ths in the yahoo "news"

"Only about one Yamaha bike in 10 has experienced a major problem or required a serious repair over the past four years, according to the 4,424 motorcycle owners surveyed by CR. In contrast, about one BMW motorcycle in three has suffered from such a complaint -- and one Harley in four. Here's how the numbers break down:"

I can understand part of it. I bought a 4 year old V-Star 650 last year that had 700 miles on it. It's also mechanically unchanged for the last 15+ years and is simpler than a airhead.

It seems that if Consumer Reports confirms your opinions, it is a valuable resource.
If it disagrees with you, then it is a worthless, ill-informed, opinionated rag.
Personally, I value their insight on items I am unfamiliar with, and use their ratings frequently.

The data would be more meaningful if they had standardized for miles instead of years.

Very true. However, my R1200RT has not been as reliable as my Gold Wing was. On the other hand, if BMW were to replace the lightweight plastics and aluminum with Honda-style thick steel, my Beemer would weigh as much as a Wing. I assume that lightweight, powerful sporting machines will never be as reliable as heavy duty cruisers.

If reliability was my top priority, I would still be riding Hondas.

By the way, my 2005 R1200RT was towed to the shop two hours ago.

It seems that if Consumer Reports confirms your opinions, it is a valuable resource.
If it disagrees with you, then it is a worthless, ill-informed, opinionated rag.
Personally, I value their insight on items I am unfamiliar with, and use their ratings frequently.

I was once a subscriber and trusted them many years ago. However, my trust was broken when I noticed that many products that were identical other then the brand name that were made on the same line received very different evaluations. The Japanese branded products were rated much higher than the identical American branded products. I think Consumer Reports is good for people who doesn't want to do their own research and/or people who don't trust their own judgement. I have a friend that uses Consumer Reports for everything. When he buys a new car, he goes to Consumer Reports and picks a Honda they recommend and calls the Honda dealer. They deliver it to him and he writes them a check.

Consumer Reports worst motorcycle is Harley Davidson?

No, that's not what they said.

"What CR discovered from its research is that quality varies "significantly" among brands -- and the best brand, Yamaha, is about six times more reliable than the worst, BMW."

H-D was second worst.

CR knows a lot about some things and very little about other things, or at least that was the case 30 years ago. I was seriously into bicycling at the time. Their bicycle reviews may have been great for someone looking to buy a Christmas bike for someone who would ride little but totally wrong for anyone who wanted a serious quality bike. Since that time I've kept a grain of salt at hand when reading CR.

well I just must be lucky I guess

I have owned 7 BMW's. One K I owned for a very short time. Didn't like it at all so really more like 6 that I put considerable mileage on. I never had any major problems with any of them. Some minor things. The only one I have spent much money on is the 1974 /6 that was supposed to only have had about 40k on it. Probably more like 140K, but I have put a lot of miles on it and it is a great bike. Or will be when I get the charging system right.

The vehicles I've enjoyed the most, Triumphs and MGs, Citroens, and my Ural, all were or should have been blackballed by CR. I don't try to decipher what that means.

From the Consumer Reports link:

"The good news here is that Consumer Reports says major, big-ticket repairs were few and far between in its research. Regardless of bike and regardless of brand, only about 3% of all problems reported to CR involved a motorcycle's engine, only 3% a transmission, and only 7% a clutch. More common were issues with a vehicle's brakes or electrical or fuel system, and, as already mentioned, with the accessories. Overall, CR noted that about 75% of the repairs reported to it were performed for $200 or less."

Harry

feed back

Some of Consumers Reports are feedback from the readers of the magazine. The MC report is such, CR did not buy and test a thousand motorcycles. And yes not surprising that the most expensive got a bum rap, if someone pays 20K for a motorcycle they expect it to be perfect, and complain about the features that they fell are issues. A cheaper bike does not have all the bells of the expensive bikes, so less to be an issue.

The Bavaria Manure Wagon gets reported, because of who gets the magazine. A guy buying a KLR is not a likely to subscribe to CR, so less issues reported. Just like everything else take all information with a very large grain salt. My biggest issue with CR rating was finding the model listed, you could maybe exclude some brands but I could never find the model tested.

I love my BMW RT 2005 much more than my other 3 combined (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). But let's remember that BMW has had some REAL issues: final drives; cracked fuel housings; antenna key ring failure, etc. These were serious (and ride ending) failures that do reflect negatively on the brand.

The final drive issues they were WAY to slow to solve (some say they still have not).
The cracked fuel housing has just recently been a recall.
The antenna ring was bad luck, but was addressed quickly.

However, if you experienced all three issues on one bike, I could see you not wanting to buy another.

One thing the article didn't state is distance between rating of BMW andHarley and also Japanese manufacturers. My guess is it's not all that big a difference between brands anymore. And I'll just bet that a large number of complaints concern electronics rather than engine or drive train components. I think a better indication of quality would be found by surveying original owners 5 years after purchase, whether they still own the like or not, to view total ownership satisfaction. In my book, if I'm still happy with the quality of the bike after a period of use, and it hasn't cost me anymore than normal maintenance, it's a good bike in my book!

I have a Yamaha Super Tenere in addition to my RT and have no doubt it will be more reliable over the long haul. They just don't break. That said, there is a level of refinement one gets from a BMW that is very attractive. It is subjective and some guys notice and appreciate it and others don't. As someone said - it's not all about reliability, assuming a baseline level to begin with that is acceptable.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

This sounds like another CR article thread.

I read CR and things like it when I purchase appliances, computers etc. Magazines like CR help me sort through features and problems before I make the decision what I want.

I have looked at CR when I shop for cages. These haul me back and forth to work in the winter cold and snow. They haul various members of the Pit Crew so reliability and how they handle car seats can be an issue.

I use my Roadster to ride to work, and in the past have used various sports cars to do the same. I read a few enthusiasts rags but never CR in making these decisions. I am a rider and shade tree mechanic. I don't buy motorcycles and sports cars their reliability ratings. I buy them for my soul.

:)

Consumer Reports doesn't have one of those.

Good thing, or ya might get a blender that sounds good and handles well but doesn't make good drinks, lol. In most cases I appreciate their objectivity. Hard to find it elsewhere.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I can believe that Yamaha was rated as very reliable. I had a 2002 Yamaha FZ1 that I rode for about 3 years. From the day I bought it until the day I sold it, never gave me any trouble. All I ever did was change the oil, and synch the carbs a couple of times. I sold it and bought a Ducati ST4S, a fun bike, but definitely a high maintenance gal compared to the Yamaha.

Back