• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Too much oil.......

04gt4me

:banghead I recently purchased a 2006 F650 GT here in Tucson Az. Low mileage, only 14,000 on the odometer. looked great, ran good,,, I thought. Second day I had it I went for a ride, driving along enjoying the great weather in Az. I noticed spots on my sun glasses, looked around and seen oil coming out around the top of where the gas tank used to be, it was running down the side of the engine too. I headed straight home and after taking The left cover off I found that the oil tank had split where it was bonded together. When I drained the oil it dropped out a little over FOUR QUARTS!! The old guy I bought it from evidently didn't look at the owners manual and checked it after it had set for a long time without starting it up until it warmed up and then checking it. I lucked out and found one on E-Bay for $79.00 ( new one is $179). My problem is I have never had a thumper and don't know what it is supposed to sound like. I am paranoid now and worry that it could be knocking and have some internal damage. like the manual says could happen with too over filling the oil. It is a sweet little bike I bought to explore on. I don't want to be out in the desert and have it blow up on me. Has anyone had any experience with over filling the oil? Any suggestions? :scratch

That is easily done if the previous owner had little experience with dry sump bikes/engines. When I bought mine it was a quart over as the person filling checked it cold and not warm but all was well. The pump will regulate what goes down into the engine and what comes back. If you have had a multi cyclinder bike previous to this thumper it will have a tendency to sound like a bag of nails at first anyhow. Have you noticed any performance issues such as power or oil consumption since draining the excess?

low oil

That is easily done if the previous owner had little experience with dry sump bikes/engines. When I bought mine it was a quart over as the person filling checked it cold and not warm but all was well. The pump will regulate what goes down into the engine and what comes back. If you have had a multi cyclinder bike previous to this thumper it will have a tendency to sound like a bag of nails at first anyhow. Have you noticed any performance issues such as power or oil consumption since draining the excess?

Thanks, It does sound noisy, but has lots of power. Starts right up and no smoke. I guess it's just my imagination running away with me.:hungover

I did this once

Thanks, It does sound noisy, but has lots of power. Starts right up and no smoke. I guess it's just my imagination running away with me.:hungover

I unfortunately did this to my F650GS when I was a rookie owner. Dumbest thing I ever did. What happened to me was an overheat on the highway, which resulted in a melted neutral switch inside the crankcase. Since my mechanical skills were next to nothing back then, it cost me about $1,700. To be glass half full about it, I got a nice service of the inside of my engine! My bike has run great ever since, except for a stalling issue that was due to a bad O2 sensor in the exhaust.

I'm guessing you made a typo and your 2006 is a GS rather than a GT since the GT was not being produced back then. That being the case, I suggest you check inside the airbox for oil. It is common for some oil to collect in the airbox, especially if the oil is over full. In your case, since the oil was significantly over full you may have more oil than is common. Pull the airfilter and stick a paper towel down in the bottom of the airbox; large curved forceps work well for this (Habor Freight) but it can be done with a screw driver and pliers. Just make sure that every thing you put in the airbox comes out of the airbox. I have never heard of oil in the airbox causing any damage to the bike, maybe just a mess.

Lots of info about your bike at f650.com known as the Chain Gang.

And the F650 thumper does sound...weird. Seems you don't hear the expected sound of a large single cylinder firing, but instead more of a squeaky whine.

Last edited:
Back