• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does the Nav speak through the bike"s speakers on GTL?

davidrossi

My 14 GTL didn't come with a Garmin GPS manual. There wasn't one in the box and the shop installed the unit on the bike. I can't seem to be able to figure out how to get the GPS directions speech to come through the bike's speakers. Any suggestions?

Other then that, I am quite used to Garmin GPS units and used to the Zumo 220 on my previous bike, so I mostly have it figured out. The BMW version of the 660 lacks a speaker (I guess) so I expected it to talk through the bike. Perhaps I have to have the radio on?

I also know how to use the BaseCamp software and this new unit works just like the 220 but with much more storage space. That's nice. The handlebar controls are quite minimal frankly. For example, it appears I still have to touch the GPS screen to select my destination, or to add an intermediate destination like a gas station or restaurant.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Does the nav show up in the menu selections?
If it does, then the bike is connected. Don't think speech comes through without the radio on.
The nav doesn't come with a manual anymore, I got the box and everything with it but no printed manual.. But you can find it here:

http://www.teamgreenrealty.com/k1600/

No, the GPS does not transmit through the speakers, only bluetooth to helmet.

I don't believe this is correct. As a matter of fact, you can set the GPS volume independently of the radio volume ... if you can find the proper menu item. But as previously said, it only works through the speakers when the radio is on (in which case the digital speedo disappears). At least this is the case for my Nav IV. I haven't tried it with a Zumo 660 to see if that plays through the speakers.

Last edited:
My Nav V also works through the speakers when I have my headset turned off (radio on). It also "remembers" my preferences for muting the nav voice for each output mode (speakers or headset). The manual file is stored in memory on the device--you can get to it through the usb port (as an attached drive) when you connect it to your computer.

I stand corrected...now to figure out how to get mine to play through the speakers! I'll play around with the audio menu as suggested.

Nav V "My Bike" page compatibility with the K1600GTL?

Toolman_57

I am not getting any clear answers as to whether this feature works with the GTL as it does on the New RT and GS models for displaying all of the bike telemetry. What has your experience been in this regard?

Here's what I have worked out so far with GPS audio

First I do have the GPS speech working fine through the speakers. It works with each source fine. I had to adjust the ratio of the volumes to get it right. There is a screen for that. I had to make that adjustment only once. I select the AUX for source input when I only want to hear the GPS. That works because I have nothing attached to AUX. I do have an Apple Nano attached to the usb input however.

I cannot find, and my dealer concluded, that the GTL and NavV does not have the bike data info page. I find that strange since the other bikes with a less permanent GPS attachment do. I would have expected the GTL to have the bike data going into the GPS. It seems not to.

I have fairly well worked out the process to create very usable routes using Base Camp and transferring them to the GPS. One trick that made a big improvement for me was making sure Base Camp only uses road intersections for waypoints and no other point of interest like a building or business. Otherwise the GPS wants me to pull into parking lots along my route.

At this point my only real disappointment is that I have not found a method to use real simple bluetooth headphones and I am very disappointed BMW didn't include a simple standard mini plug for wired headphones. At this point I am not at all interested in a cell phone interface or any form of microphone. I just want what can come from the speakers to go to my earbuds.

Any suggestions on that is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Here's what I have worked out so far with GPS audio

If you can afford the Schuberth helmet - it pairs rather well with the K1600 GTL system - both audio and Nav V is a pleasure to use! You can get your mobile phone to work also by paring the phone to the Nav system. Just be sure to follow the detailed instructions in the Audio users manual for the bike to get it right!

Good luck!

If you can afford the Schuberth helmet - it pairs rather well with the K1600 GTL system - both audio and Nav V is a pleasure to use! You can get your mobile phone to work also by paring the phone to the Nav system. Just be sure to follow the detailed instructions in the Audio users manual for the bike to get it right!

Good luck!

I use a Bilt helmet from Cycle Gear with integrated Bluetooth, and it works great for about 1/4 the price of a Schuberth and about 1/2 the helmet quality.

So what Blue tooth headsets work with BMW?

I have a Uclear HBC 200 BT headset that would not pair to the 14RT. Paired with the Motorad V GPS just fine but dont want to listen to that B...h! get enough of that at home ! LOL. Needless to say I was not a happy camper when I figured out that it would not pair to the Bike. I really like that headset, Worked very well with my Garmin 665. My question is this what helmet and communication set ups WILL work with BMW? I dont want to hunt and peck through a bunch of headsets and spend a butt load of money to find what works and what doesn't.

I would like to have my phone paired to the GPS, the bike and the GPS paired to a BT headset that will allow intercom, phone calls and listen to the radios. and switch accordingly. I have been told that BMW communicators and Schuberth C3 Pro helmets work. That is almost a 1200.00 bill when that is said and done. Would like something less expensive? Any suggestions? I am open to those.

My 14 RT is going back and I am in the process of getting the K1600GTL. But I want to be able to listen to all that stuff in my helmet, not blasting through the speakers at 70+ mph. :banghead

Bill
05 R1200RT
14 R1200RT Returned
14 K1600 GTL in process

Back