• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Web site front page

Few in our society will be as altruistic as you.

I do standby my previous post. Many consumer and industrial products are now too cheap for US production unless technology radically reduces the per item manpower cost. New/better systems and their components produced with the latest technology is our only hope for retaining jobs at better pay scales than in China or India. But, for that to happen, everyone from Wall Street to the employees will need to see the value in domestic production.

36654, great reply. I figured I'd get slammed against the wall as being anti-American labor for my comments....:whistle Although I agree that there are many products that will never re-shore back to the U.S. such as in the garment industry, there are many items that may qualify for movement back to the U.S., and manufacturers have been building business cases to support landed cost vs. domestic manufacturer. A ground swell, no, but the leaks are starting in the dam. Supply chain length coupled with shipping costs are driving the train now.
As far as altruistic, I would not accept that as a label for my position. Assuming world governments can keep from blowing each other up, global trade will continue to increase, and we cannot expect to sell our widgets or harvests, or innovation to a world market without expecting to open our consumer markets to world products. It helps keep us on our toes, and protects the consumer from not having any choice but a poor choice. Then, it's up to the individual consumer to make his or her own choice of product, based on their research or experience. If they don't wish to research a purchase before buying, then let the buyer beware......

36654, great reply. I figured I'd get slammed against the wall as being anti-American labor for my comments....:whistle Although I agree that there are many products that will never re-shore back to the U.S. such as in the garment industry, there are many items that may qualify for movement back to the U.S., and manufacturers have been building business cases to support landed cost vs. domestic manufacturer. A ground swell, no, but the leaks are starting in the dam. Supply chain length coupled with shipping costs are driving the train now.
As far as altruistic, I would not accept that as a label for my position. Assuming world governments can keep from blowing each other up, global trade will continue to increase, and we cannot expect to sell our widgets or harvests, or innovation to a world market without expecting to open our consumer markets to world products. It helps keep us on our toes, and protects the consumer from not having any choice but a poor choice. Then, it's up to the individual consumer to make his or her own choice of product, based on their research or experience. If they don't wish to research a purchase before buying, then let the buyer beware......

If protectionism worked, the old Soviet Union would still be around. However, in order to compete in the world economy you need to decide what kind of team you want to be on. For the last several decades, we seem to be of the opinion that no one is involved with any thing as mundane / quaint as manufacturing. Somehow money is created and people buy really expensive houses that always increase in price. What they do to earn that money appears to be a mystery. We are master consumers with minimal connection to the creation and fabrication of products.

Well, if BMW decides to offer an updated 75/? Or 90/? In the same vein as the Triumph Scrambler with updated controls, ignition, brakes and still an airhead with greatly simplified maintenance I will mail the check tomorrow! A new Toaster would be great!!

I wish BMW would go back to building reliable, dependable BMW motorcycles as opposed to clones too other designs.

Yes I know it is a business decision to "keep-up" with the "trends"....and yes I know I'm wrong :scratch from a business point of view . I'm just venting:blah .....;)

There was a time when BMW was the leader in quality.
I you must copy, do good job. Make it better than than what your coping.

Back