• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 F650GS Dakar 'Instrument cluster" cluster.......

scoobs

When starting the bike my instrument cluster occasionally goes haywire- sometimes the LED digits on the odometer and clock start scrolling around; sometimes the tachometer needle stays at zero rpm; sometimes the speedometer needle remains at zero; and sometimes I get a combination of all of these. For the most part everything stabilises after a mile or two but I've recently noticed a clicking noise after removing the ignition key that sounds like a relay is chattering somewhere- could this be the reason my odometer reading is sometimes less than when I stopped the bike?
I've checked the electrical connector at the rear of the unit and all is clean and dry- thought it might be a flakey ground connection but have checked all the wiring with no obvious faults. The instrument bulbs and idiot lights are on a different connector and are not affected by the problem.
I'm wondering if there's a crack in the circuit board ?
Cheers,
Scoobs.

I think it could be the circuit board. My 2005 worked fine and then one day the odometer display decided it would start showing dashes instead of numbers. Then it became so that the trip would work perfectly until you turn off the ignition and then it would self zero while the odometer showed dashes still.

There are a lot of threads about these dash clusters that suggest there was a quality and performance issue over time with some if not all. The bike has no computer record of mileage and so if you change the gauge cluster it is back to zero. They cost approx $500 for the gauge cluster assembly. On a positive note though they are straightforward to change out.

Instrument cluster

If you end up having to change it out you may want to shop the usual suspects for a used unit. I found the Motorworks site interesting. They were covered a few issues ago in Owners News.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php

A lot of the sources for used parts don't seem to have or carry a lot of 650 parts. They do.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

#71,449 Life

I had priced a couple of used units and they were a couple of hundred and then it occurred to me that those may fail too just like mine did with only 3k miles.

Thanks...

By strange coincidence I was browsing the motorworks site earlier looking for handlebar switches for my K bike. I concur that even if I replace the unit the problem might repeat so will leave things alone for now. The issue normally goes away after a few miles and rarely happens in the middle of a trip- only when starting the bike.
Thanks for yor input.
Scoobs.

Back