• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear wheel specs

D

dennisemanuel

Hi guys and gals I'm Dennis the Burmese guy just joined just got my dream bike 2012 gtl kinda disappointed about the klunky shifting mostly 1st and 2nd found that preloading the shifter helps . My latest findings is my rear wheel has 3 bumps .045 almost 120 deg apart towards the tire .And it's only on the drive side the right side of the bike is ok .005 out avg spoke to my dealer and they said it was within specs 1.5 mm for radial runout . Any thoughts ? Dennis

rear wel specs EDIT

Hi guys and gals I'm Dennis the Burmese guy just joined just got my dream bike 2012 gtl kinda disappointed about the klunky shifting mostly 1st and 2nd found that preloading the shifter helps . My latest findings is my rear wheel has 3 bumps .045 almost 120 deg apart towards the tire .And it's only on the drive side the right side of the bike is ok .005 out avg spoke to my dealer and they said it was within specs 1.5 mm for radial runout . Any thoughts ? Dennis

Hi Guys, forgot to mention I had a flat piece of glass went sliced my tire about 1/2 close to the middle had 14lbs of air when I was out of a tunnel and able to pull to the shoulder. You guys think its possible that tire machine could have caused the rim to be egg shape? I can't figure how one side of the wheel is straight and the other side which just happens to be the side they mounted down on the tire machine is bent out? I got a minus reading on my indicator when mounted on the inside of the rim meaning its bent towards the outside.Come on some of you guys must have a mag base indicator takes about 10 minutes to check runout on both sides. I suspect you guys will find your rims under .015 inches or half a millimeter. THANKS DENNIS

"At this point what difference does it make?" (I think Abe Lincoln said that)

On a serious note Dennis, welcome to the forum! At this point you know that you have a bent rim, so the task at hand would be to straighten it, correct?
I would think that a pneumatic tire machine that "grabs" the rim would possibly bend it, yes.
I've never straightened one, but have sent them off to have them straightened, and they come back with reportedly virtually no run out.
Obviously, having a bent rim will lessen tire mileage, and effect handling & rideability.

Ken

rear wheel specs

"At this point what difference does it make?" (I think Abe Lincoln said that)

On a serious note Dennis, welcome to the forum! At this point you know that you have a bent rim, so the task at hand would be to straighten it, correct?
I would think that a pneumatic tire machine that "grabs" the rim would possibly bend it, yes.
I've never straightened one, but have sent them off to have them straightened, and they come back with reportedly virtually no run out.
Obviously, having a bent rim will lessen tire mileage, and effect handling & rideability.

Ken
Hi Ken ,thanks for the welcome .Yes i'm gonna get it straighten waiting for the rear tire to wear out.Dealer feels bad they tried with no luck .They offered to give me a new wheel and tire at their cost. Will just have a spare in the garage for faster tire swaps.Thanks happy trails Dennis

If I understand your post, you've got 3 small bumps where a tire machine might grab the wheel. Yes monkeys with pneumatics or even less aggressive tools can bend aluminum wheels or worse (I once had an idiot rip a metal bead insert on a cage tire because he was too lazy to lube stuff. That's not easy given the tensile strength of that wire)

Those little bumps, though out of spec, are no big deal PROVIDED they are what I think they are (small bends at contact points) and local. If that's all they are it won't do anything to sealing or balance that you're likely to notice. If not sure, spin up the mounted tire and see how true the tread runs. If it runs ok and holds air, it is ok...

There is a reason the manual NoMar changer and similar are the preferred tools of many. I just "had to buy one" from a friend who did my tires but is moving out of town..

I have to ask a question, can you FEEL the bumps when you ride??? If you can you must be a decedent of the princess from The "princess and the Pea" story. :D

.045 is less then the thickness of a dime, and I would say that every tire I have ever mounted, and it has been in the thousands, had far more run out once mounted than that, and were smooth as silk at speeds far in excess of the speed limit. And I would bet that any spoke rim once installed and ridden has far more run out.

My advice, put away the machinists tools and ride it!

rear wheel specs

If I understand your post, you've got 3 small bumps where a tire machine might grab the wheel. Yes monkeys with pneumatics or even less aggressive tools can bend aluminum wheels or worse (I once had an idiot rip a metal bead insert on a cage tire because he was too lazy to lube stuff. That's not easy given the tensile strength of that wire)

Those little bumps, though out of spec, are no big deal PROVIDED they are what I think they are (small bends at contact points) and local. If that's all they are it won't do anything to sealing or balance that you're likely to notice. If not sure, spin up the mounted tire and see how true the tread runs. If it runs ok and holds air, it is ok...

There is a reason the manual NoMar changer and similar are the preferred tools of many. I just "had to buy one" from a friend who did my tires but is moving out of town..

Hi racer x , yes it runs true just kinda bugs me paying over 27k for my dream bike and i get a bent rim.

rear wheel specs

I have to ask a question, can you FEEL the bumps when you ride??? If you can you must be a decedent of the princess from The "princess and the Pea" story. :D

.045 is less then the thickness of a dime, and I would say that every tire I have ever mounted, and it has been in the thousands, had far more run out once mounted than that, and were smooth as silk at speeds far in excess of the speed limit. And I would bet that any spoke rim once installed and ridden has far more run out.

My advice, put away the machinists tools and ride it!

Hello ok no can't feel the bumps just bugs me to spend over 27k for my dream bike and i get a not so perfect vehicle must of happened in Germany the tire machine used here held the rim from the o.d.was just wondering if anyone else ran across this same scenario thanks dennis

Back