• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecar shock set up

sit

Have asked on another forum, but so far there does not seem to be a concise answer. Was wondering if there is a general rule when setting up the shocks on a sidecar rig. Not as much interesting in what one person does because that is for that particular person, weight, rig etc. Am trying to determine if there is a general starting point for the three shock location, softer on front but sidecar and rear the same setting, or rear stiffer than front but sidecar softer than the front or what? On my Ural I was running all of the shocks in the same setting, but felt like the front was really stiff, that it had no recoil because I had it tightened up too much so I softened the front a bit and it seems like it rides and steers better now that the front can absorb the bumps more. I know each rig is different, that depending on the bike and sidecar there are different numbers of shocks to even adjust etc. Just looking to see if there is a generic starting point.

You'd get some fantastic advice on the Hack forum on ADVRider.com, as they have a more active sidecar community over there.

I try over there too, thanks. Forgot all about them. I have a message on Soviet Steeds too, but no luck so far.

Thanks

I have never seen a consensus. One dealer said he sets them full soft, then the owner can stiffen them up as he see's fit.

Springs?

Are you referring to spring set up? During the /2 era, BMW offered different springs, front and rear, for sidecar use. They were a heavier guage wire, and stiffer.

I actually have Ural, was just trying to see if there is generic staring point out there, something like the front should softer than the rear and the sidecar should be softer than the front or some formula to start at so you can then fine tune it for your bike, weight, riding style etc. Seems like the answer is much like oil answers, all over the board, but no generic generally accepted starting point.

with my Ural, I leave the sidecar soft since it is usually empty, the rear at full stiff and the front in the middle. Played around with different settings and these seem to work for me, 220lb usually solo.

I actually have Ural, was just trying to see if there is generic staring point out there, something like the front should softer than the rear and the sidecar should be softer than the front or some formula to start at so you can then fine tune it for your bike, weight, riding style etc. Seems like the answer is much like oil answers, all over the board, but no generic generally accepted starting point.

My Ural dealer (Gene at Holopaw, FL) advised to keep all the shocks on the Ural at the same setting - your choice as to what that setting is. I've got 22,000 km on my 2011 GearUp with the shocks at the softest position. Only bottomed out once (on the front) on a rock ledge 4" high (too much speed). No damage, just a good jolt. I use a Harley solo police seat instead of the original, which also is a significant part of the suspension;)

I did spend time with them on the middle setting. But you would need a LOT of weight to make the suspension move (just me and the dog, so went back to the bottom). Still have original shocks.

I think the answer will depend on the spring rate for the s/c. On my last rig I had the preload set to highest position with a 70/150 rate. On my current rig I changed to a 250/300 but have the preload in the lowest position.
Bill D

Back