• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmen 660 and map of Europe?

bernie

Has anyone used a GPS in Europe? I am thinking about taking a 3 month trip in '15. Seening places that I couldn't go when I was in the Mil in the '80's. From the Nordcape to the Toe and everyplace between.

I recently returned from Europe. I took my Nav iV and prior to leaving I purchased the Europe maps. What I did learn (after I realized the maps never loaded) was that i needed a memory card to store the maps on as they did not fit onto the actual memory of the Nav iV. It was simple though and with Map Source I transferred only what I needed. The device now shows that the Europe maps are there.

There are base maps in the unit already but they lack the detail and accuracy of course and Poi too.

Yes, you will have to purchase the Euro maps. Once that is done, operation is pretty much the same as in the US. Just do not let the GPS pick the route, the small roads are the reason to go to Europe, and if navigating point to point, it will probably miss them.

Small Roads

Yes, you will have to purchase the Euro maps. Once that is done, operation is pretty much the same as in the US. Just do not let the GPS pick the route, the small roads are the reason to go to Europe, and if navigating point to point, it will probably miss them.

Is there a function in the 660 to limit turnpikes and autobahns? I am going over to see places that I couldn't go in the early 80's. I was in the military then.

Is there a function in the 660 to limit turnpikes and autobahns? I am going over to see places that I couldn't go in the early 80's. I was in the military then.

I am running an old school 478 (big brother of the 276C family) and I can chose which type of roads I want to be routed or avoid. But that is not really what I was talking about, even in the US, I rarely just let the GPS plan my route.

If you want to really see the out of the way places, spend some $$ and get some of the detailed European regional maps. I prefer the Michelin, 1: 200,000 or 1:300,000 scale ( http://travel.michelin.co.uk/regional-maps-138-c.asp ) others are Freytag & Berndt, and Touring club Italiano. Almost all brands highlight scenic roads, which are a good bet. Many very small roads in the Alps are paved, so don't be afraid to wander. Google Maps street view was very good and would let you check out roads to see if paved when you are planning, but they have had to remove their Swiss, and German views for Government reasons.

My MO is to spend some time on with the paper maps, Google and Garmin mapsource, and rather than routes, just put markers on the roads I want to explore, Then when I get to an that area, check the maps and plot rough routes into the GPS so I can get there without too much drama, and I am not afraid to toss out all plans, if a roads leads me elsewhere.

Almost all the main routes in the Alps are paralleled by small roads, and most are paved, narrow twisty beyond imagination, and FUN, if that is what you like.

Just do not let the GPS pick the route, the small roads are the reason to go to Europe, and if navigating point to point, it will probably miss them.

Exactly.

I always advise quality paper maps with a scale of 1:200 000 or better to pick your routes.

Use the GPS to get you somewhere when you need to get there efficiently.

To the OP, I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60 Cx with Euro maps. I know it has a small screen and does not talk, but my primary use is logging my tour and marking photo locations (camera time synched to the GPS). Plus that unit will run all day on a set of rechargeable AA batteries.

With the popularity of smart phones Garmins,etc. are for sale on the cheap by the 1,000's on ebay & CL, these days. I bought a lifetime maps Nuvi with all the acc.,hardly used and that model takes Euro maps card too for under $40. Not waterproof model but easily carried in a MC jacket pocket/tankbag or street pants when your off the MC. My Zumo is bulky and not going with me to Europe for a fly & drive.

Local Knowledge - Central Germany

I spent two tours (8 years) in Germany with the US Army, in the vicinity of Frankfurt and have travelled to other parts. I would be glad to give you some suggested POIs and things to do while in Germany.

Gute Fahrt!!

I recently returned from Europe. I took my Nav iV and prior to leaving I purchased the Europe maps. What I did learn (after I realized the maps never loaded) was that i needed a memory card to store the maps on as they did not fit onto the actual memory of the Nav iV. It was simple though and with Map Source I transferred only what I needed. The device now shows that the Europe maps are there.

There are base maps in the unit already but they lack the detail and accuracy of course and Poi too.

+1 The same thing happened to me (with a 660). Once I got a memory card, downloading the maps was possible and everything worked like a charm.

I use open street maps when I am in Europe. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You can choose any combination of areas you want and compile a Garmin compatible and routable map. I load this on an SD card and plug it into my Garmin for a second map set. I used it extensively in Germany with no issues. FREE.

Not really, you can only choose between Most Direct Route or Fastest Route, but you can plan your rout on Google Maps and then transfer it to your Zumo, or even easier, plan your route directly on the device with the help of a really good map, like a Michelin.
Cheers

Back