• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centerstand vs. Sidestand

LDB

I've got a 1977 R100/7 I hope to get back on the road later this year. I'm curious if it makes any difference in oiling the bike if it's on the sidestand vs. the centerstand as in initial startup after sitting for a period of time.

I really DO NOT understand what OILING is........But for starting an engine after it has been sitting for a long time without running, for me I would have it on it's center stand. If for no other reason so that the float bowls are hopefully "even" on both carbs and cab possibly NOT overflow and cause problems.
Oiling???? Like putting oil in????.......Like squirting oil on the various moving parts?........If you are checking the oil, definately on the centerstand...............Good luck and God bless...........Dennis

Even and proper oil distribution through the engine immediately after hitting the starter button. One might think the oil would run toward the downhill side when on the sidestand. I hadn't thought about the carbs but I can see that point also.

Last edited:
Even and proper oil distribution through the engine immediately after hitting the starter button. One might think the oil would run toward the downhill side when on the sidestand. I hadn't thought about the carbs but I can see that point also.

This is the "wisdom" of the "old guys" and this idea has been around for 30 or 40 years. It has been accepted as true (excessive oiling of left cylinder upon startup after bike was parked on side stand) by most, but there are a few unbelievers.

This was hashed out pretty thoroughly on a previous thread about 2 months ago.

I would think that on the sidestand or centerstand would make no difference in getting oil to the engine immediately. Sure, the oil in the sump will move to one side, but the reality is that the oil pickup is always submerged in oil, provided you are maintaining the proper level of oil per the dipstick. Thus upon first flick of the start button, oil is being drawn in and pumped through the bike.

Just the same, I would pull the plugs out and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes out. That will get oil to the various parts with little / no load.

Just to be clear, pull the plugs and ground them to the cylinders. Or another possibility is to drop the float bowls.

Just to be clear, pull the plugs and ground them to the cylinders. Or another possibility is to drop the float bowls.

In my opinion, pulling the plugs is best. It removes compression which makes it easier on the battery and reduces load on the "dry" parts.

In my opinion, pulling the plugs is best. It removes compression which makes it easier on the battery and reduces load on the "dry" parts.

Good point...there are several ways to accomplish this. Pluses and minuses go with any approach. Personally, I don't like pulling plugs unless necessary. Chances for screwing up the threads exists...having the plug not well grounded. Stuff can happen no matter what we do. :thumb

Back