• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tranny input shaft

GSAddict - You already have 100,000 KM on you lengthened spline?

FWIW - Otherwise my reaction before reading of your experiences would have been to replace the part.

Basically starting on a hill loaded up and sliding the clutch too long to get going.

Don't you mean "slipping" the clutch? I understand this to mean revving the engine but not fully engaging the clutch for slow speed control. Get's the clutch parts extremely hot!

They seem to teach slipping the clutch for slow speed manouevers in a lot of bike training courses nowadays. Used to be verbotten for dry clutches. Every year at the rally bike games we smell em burning all over the field during the slow speed race as riders slip their clutches and wrangle handlebars back and forth trying to go as slow as possible and not fall off! :D

My 02 RT is past 40k miles sine the splines went out.
Should I just assume that every 40k miles it should be pulled apart and inspected or re-lubed?
It shifts as good as the day I picked it up.
I ask because I am not confident in doing this myself and would have to pay someone else to do it.
There is other stuff I would like to get done.

And out of curiosity... do the 1200s have the same issues with the splines and the rear ends?

Modified Clutch

Just wanted to show a couple photo's of the modified clutch with the spacer kits acquired from cele0001. I had a local machine shop remove rivets from clutch plate and install spacer with new rivets cele0001 included in his kit. Total charge at shop was $43.

Attachments

• cele-hub1.jpg
    cele-hub1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 100
  • cele-hub2.jpg
    cele-hub2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Just wanted to show a couple photo's of the modified clutch with the spacer kits acquired from cele0001. I had a local machine shop remove rivets from clutch plate and install spacer with new rivets cele0001 included in his kit. Total charge at shop was $43.

Thank you for the update and please provide long term updates if possible

Back