• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Closed thread

I used to get upset we didn't have an area to say what we wanted to say, uncensored. But when I compare this forum to others, it is nice just not to discuss those topics that quickly, and always, devolve into uncivil arguments. One can always PM a person and discuss topics offline, as some have done with my comments in the past.

If this were a general forum, fine. But this is a motorcycle forum; keeping it more focused and civil is a good thing.

Discussing politics, religions, guns, etc., is about as useless and tactless on a forum as correcting another poster's grammar.

Obviously I disagree, why is it [wrong]? to be interested in the views / opinions of seemingly like minded people [common bond of motorcycles etc.] on a particular issue ? And while I understand the [PM] idea, it is then a one on one discussion, and another interested may miss out on a point, or a chance to make a valid point? And that might be just the point that we may learn from. Or clear some /all confusion.

I admit, Ron, that I vacillate on this point.

I think the problem is "uncivil" behavior. And I would not say I think you are "wrong." It usually degrades into name calling and insults, rather than a polite discussion of controversial topics. I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.

But I do agree threads should NOT be closed. I think that if a post is out of line, THAT post should be deleted, the poster warned, and the thread left to continue. Closing threads really bugs me.

Keep in mind there is a survey going, and you can give your thoughts to the board there.

Best,
Rob

I admit, Ron, that I vacillate on this point.

I think the problem is "uncivil" behavior. And I would not say I think you are "wrong." It usually degrades into name calling and insults, rather than a polite discussion of controversial topics. I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.

But I do agree threads should NOT be closed. I think that if a post is out of line, THAT post should be deleted, the poster warned, and the thread left to continue. Closing threads really bugs me.

Keep in mind there is a survey going, and you can give your thoughts to the board there.

Best,
Rob

+1, Gunny; I truly appreciate your wise "Common Sense" approach to this issue Rob, closing threads really bugs me too (big time!).

I would support a "no holds barred" area, un-moderated (well, within reason, you can't keep physical threats posted, etc.), for all topics. But the board has chosen this way, and I think it is "OK" as well.

I think this would be a good approach. You could also move threads that get out of hand there and members could go there at their own risk. Any thread that the moderators think should be closed or deleted could go there. That way, we wouldn't have to wonder what happened.

There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.

In Alaska we referred to Maui as the southern part of the state. In the MOA we refer to ADV Rider as the no holds barred, un-moderated area.

We're heading into another off year election, 2014. As I see it this is where our energy should be directed in terms of the various social/cultural/political hubris each of us possess.

In my state caucuses are being held soon. Other states have other stuff going on. Get on down to these venues for a good old fashioned give and take. Express your concerns best you can, question those who believe they should be elected to order the rest of us around, in short, take these concerns to the arena wherein they have a definitive platform, from which the most possible good might possibly proceed. That's my two cents.

Everyone who rides and wrenches is my pal. Now where's that 10mm wrench?

Last edited:
There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.

With all due respect, it is not pollution if it is a topic folks choose to discuss. With other folks that they are familiar with. If a topic or comment on a topic is posted...and no one responds. Then it would appear to be a topic of no interest. If on the other hand if replied / responded too I see a civil discussion as no problem.

As has been said, I do not need a censor telling me what I may or may not discuss. If I ever show disrespect or some sort of hostility then I would expect to be told to check my behavior and would do so.

After all, if you consider discussing these issues as "preaching," NO ONE is forcing you to read them!

BTW, YOU just expressed YOUR view of discussing these things. Doesn't that come from YOUR basic belief system? Why should you spout yours and others not be allowed to speak theirs?

I guess it is OK to PREACH your view!

Last edited:
The moderators are the ones that must read the posts. They are the ones that can not choose to ignore a thread. They are the ones that must make the judgment call of what actions to take when a member flags a post as maybe over the top.

These the POSTING GUIDELINES they have been given to work with.
What in the guidelines would you change?
Why and to what end?
How would you word the change?
How would you enforce the change?

I think this would be a good approach. You could also move threads that get out of hand there and members could go there at their own risk. Any thread that the moderators think should be closed or deleted could go there. That way, we wouldn't have to wonder what happened.

If my memory is right a couple year ago they had a Don't go there thread and there was for awhile a thread for No holds bared that did last long.

Don

I can understand if a thread gets too salty, it might get closed down.
But on the other hand, people pay good money to watch a good fight.
So sometimes the salty exchanges are the best part.
So let's just trade the insults. That we don't mean.
And let others trade the compliments. That they don't mean.
dc

Or said another way...if you do not like the topic...you wait outside by not opening the thread & then complaining about what is being discussed....

Or said another way... If you don't like the Posting Guidelines...you don't come inside and ignore them. You go to where the rules match how and what you want to discuss.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
My take...

Interesting that the "last straw" post was actually rather witty (we can always use more of that) but, for sure, it was also mean. (Implied but not stated - "the only good communist is a dead communist.")

I don't believe it was only POLITICS that caused the mod's to end this thread but rather the "un-civil" language from several posters. I found it interesting that Pete Seeger was once a communist. Equally interesting that he shortly avowed that position. Nothing wrong with the information and counter information. (I stand with those who believe this forum doesn't have to be about nothing but motorcycles.) I am all for differing opinions, politely stated, and when required - reasons for those opinions. But PERSONAL confrontation SHOULD be off limits. If you think the person with an opposing view to yours is an idiot - demonstrate that fact with better information or argument - not a personal attack.

Quote from an earlier post: "I also frequent a certain motorcycle forum based in the UK. I was blown away by their civil discussions on politics and religion. Many different views, and everyone keeps it very civil. What all too frequently happens on most forums is it devolves into ugliness and hard feelings." Be interesting to visit that forum if the person I quoted could provide it.

Meanwhile, I support the current MOA position of banning discussion of religion, abortion, and firearms. As others have pointed out, SO MANY topics have political overtones that banning "politics" really isn't totally viable on this forum. When these topics/arguments come up and your dander rises, PLEASE REMEMBER TO ATTACK THE IDEA RATHER THAN THE PERSON WHO ESPOUSES IT. Then, the discussion may not be terminated.

Back