• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

Phillip Seymour Hoffman handed me a coffee, maybe him, waved at me and about two hours later I had good fuel in the tank and, pushed the master on and all hell broke loose. At least that's what it looked like to me. Big fricking lights and something on an overhead boom starting swinging. After all was said and done, I thought he was just another roady as he waved goodbye.

I yelled something rather rude, "make sure that button on a fur coat reaches past your zipper otherwise you'll just pee down your leg."

The next day, the production manager called and asked me to drop in and double check. The vehicle wrangler told me that PSH got a good giggle about the Canadianisms he learned that night. I assume the roady was PSH because it sure looked like him from the movie. I really don't know for certain because, well, it was cold and we all look the same bundled up.

Great story! From the accounts that I've heard from people who lived in his area, he didn't put on airs. He was just one of the fathers in the neighborhood. Some didn't even know he was an actor.

:dance:dance:dance

Flu is a disease. Arthritis is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. You don't choose them. They choose you.

Addiction is a choice. Arguably if it's a disease it is a chosen disease. You don't "catch" addiction by touching the door handle at a restaurant. That's how you "catch" the flu.

Addiction is a choice. It is fully, absolutely, completely a choice to begin using dope. The dopes that choose to begin using make that choice fully on their own. If they are an addictive type they'll eventually become addicted. But it's initially completely their choice.

It's a shame for anyone to die but when it is by their own choice at their own hand it's more shame on them.

For those who want someone to really respect and honor here's someone exponentially more worthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/new-york-boy-saves-family-fire/

Flu is a disease. Arthritis is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. You don't choose them. They choose you.

Addiction is a choice. Arguably if it's a disease it is a chosen disease. You don't "catch" addiction by touching the door handle at a restaurant. That's how you "catch" the flu.

Addiction is a choice. It is fully, absolutely, completely a choice to begin using dope. The dopes that choose to begin using make that choice fully on their own. If they are an addictive type they'll eventually become addicted. But it's initially completely their choice.

It's a shame for anyone to die but when it is by their own choice at their own hand it's more shame on them.

For those who want someone to really respect and honor here's someone exponentially more worthy.

I heard about that on the news...what a remarkable kid. That is truly a sad event , and a tragic loss on so many levels. One of them being the world could use many more kids {and adults} like him...

I'm not a softy but I teared-up when I heard that one!

Rest in piece young man.......You have earned it!!!

The only way to really deal with addiction is one that is multi-faceted, one that makes us uncomfortable.
It is messy and complicated and takes a lifetime of effort.
It sometimes involves relapses and second chances and third chances.
It involves support, sometimes sponsors.
It involves therapy and counseling until whatever the root cause is has been revealed and addressed.
It involves consideration of not just the physical withdrawal, but the emotional withdrawal, the social withdrawal, the psychological withdrawal.
It requires a mental health system with adequate resources, which clearly doesn't exist.
It requires us to do better.
It requires support instead of judgement
And sometimes, even when all those things exist, it fails.

http://debiehive.blogspot.com/2014/02/addiction-mental-health-and-society.html

Maybe it's even harder for a celebrity to deal with addiction because we as a society are so very hard on anyone who abuse drugs and then we hold celebrities to an even higher standard.

No easy solutions, surely. But understanding is a beginning. And the article I've cited above does a pretty good job at that.

IMHO.

Voni

One may not "choose" diabetes, but is one "addicted" to food and 50 pounds over weight, which is a major underlying factor for many diabetics. One may not "choose" to have cancer, but is one "addicted" to smoking, which is a major factor in numerous cancers. One may not "choose" to have arthritis, but does one tarry in an occupation or sport that facilitates its development? Not that I disagree with your initial choice comment when it comes to drugs. However, we are all driven to our choices by what we believe will achieve our goals...comfort, celebrity, competition, wages, escape and on and on....

Maybe it's even harder for a celebrity to deal with addiction because we as a society are so very hard on anyone who abuse drugs and then we hold celebrities to an even higher standard.

Voni

This problem has been around a long time.
Reminds me of this Paul Rogers/Bad Co. Video

I have a great deal of respect for those of us who have been addicted and have overcome it, but for those of us who remain addicted or have been destroyed by their addiction, not so much.

Harry

One may not "choose" diabetes, but is one "addicted" to food and 50 pounds over weight, which is a major underlying factor for many diabetics. One may not "choose" to have cancer, but is one "addicted" to smoking, which is a major factor in numerous cancers. One may not "choose" to have arthritis, but does one tarry in an occupation or sport that facilitates its development? Not that I disagree with your initial choice comment when it comes to drugs. However, we are all driven to our choices by what we believe will achieve our goals...comfort, celebrity, competition, wages, escape and on and on....
Moto, your lack of medical knowledge is absolutely amazing. I have adult onset diabetes. Being over weight does NOT cause diabetes. There are lots of genetic and environmental components to lots of diseases. Heroine addiction isn't caused by genetics, viruses, bacteria, etc. It boils down to bad choices and the guy paid for them. What makes Hoffman any different than any other junkie??? Yes, what a waste of talent. That goes for lots of junkies, if not talent, what a waste of a life. If he was so damn smart, why did he use drugs in the first place. No tears here!

Moto, your lack of medical knowledge is absolutely amazing. I have adult onset diabetes. Being over weight does NOT cause diabetes. There are lots of genetic and environmental components to lots of diseases. Heroine addiction isn't caused by genetics, viruses, bacteria, etc. It boils down to bad choices and the guy paid for them. What makes Hoffman any different than any other junkie??? Yes, what a waste of talent. That goes for lots of junkies, if not talent, what a waste of a life. If he was so damn smart, why did he use drugs in the first place. No tears here!

+1

Causes of Type 2 Diabetes

WebMD

Diabetes is a number of diseases that involve problems with the hormone insulin. While not everyone with type 2 diabetes is overweight, obesity and lack of physical activity are two of the most common causes of this form of diabetes.

No mention of the role of hubris in either disease.... addiction or diabetes.

Type 2 Diabetes

Akbeemer,

I'm not sure I understand your use of the word, "hubris," as associated with type 2 diabetes or addiction.

Hubris to me means overconfident pride or arrogance.

I see people every day who are obese, not exercising and not following any dietary restrictions, but they are healthy. While I personally don't think it is wise to be obese, abstain from exercise/proper diet, these folks seem to desire to follow that lifestyle.

I contracted type 2 diabetes as an adult and I was not overweight or sedentary. My ancestors had the disease, as well as arteriosclerosis and high blood pressure, with which I am also afflicted. I am certainly not "proud" or "arrogant" about having these diseases and would just as soon have never experienced them, but genetics dealt me this, so I live with it and try to control it with diet, exercise and medications.

If you are free of disease, then you are truly blessed, but those of us who have them would just as soon not. We are certainly not "proud" to have them.

Addiction, unlike type 2 diabetes is a choice. When you choose to ingest/inject/introduce addictive substances into your body, there can be no positive outcome.

Bill

Addiction, unlike type 2 diabetes is a choice. When you choose to ingest/inject/introduce addictive substances into your body, there can be no positive outcome.

Bill

that might be oversimplifying it a bit. I understand you premise, but addicts are seldom referred to as "choicers" :D

The practice of medical underwriting is the application of empirical results from actuarial studies involving large groups of individuals. From these studies we use a Rule of Large Numbers produced by the generalized and specific outcomes to form reasonable expectations. We know a certain like study group of varying sizes (typically the more the better), followed for X number of years, can produce certain meaningful, within reason conclusions about that group. The same thing can be said for impairments such as diabetes, Huntington's Chorea, overweight, smoking, motorcycle racing, drug abuse, Barlow's syndrome, levels of melanomas and on and on, found within that group. Application of these findings becomes more difficult when applied to individuals, but applied in measured subsets it can produce reasonable results. Reasonable enough to be profitable when applied to tens of billions of dollars at risk. It is within that scope that one realizes diseases and their contributing factors.

I'll stack my 35 years of medical underwriting experience against your comments any time. I did not say overweight caused diabetes, I said it can be a contributing factor in many cases, specially adult onset (Type II) diabetes. You may not be overweight, but weight is a primary factor in many cases. Could one say obese people have an addiction to food? Do you think there might be a correlation between our nation's increase in obesity and adult onset diabetes? Here is just one study that may help you have a better understanding. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10480769. There are many, many more you can obtain...please do...inform yourself and have a better quality of understanding, if not life.

My reference to drug use, I do not bleed for Mr. Huffman, in many ways I think him a fool. However, if you wish to understand the psychological aspects of drug addiction and how it plays in this "disease"...read to learn about it, don't just follow your "gut" reaction. Some of the same "addictions" that contribute to diabetes (overeating being one) can also contribute to other needs. Perhaps you are of such strong will you can not comprehend a lesser plane where doubt, self-esteem, lack of understanding, emotional dysfunction and on and on, can and does lead people to practice "habits" detrimental to them...be it contributing to a diabetic condition or being an abuser of "a different" path of escape.

The point of my post: to indicate there are many factors that contribute to what mankind may suffer, those contributing factors are NOT limited to any one area... I hope your reading this will at least let you search for a better understanding.

Last edited:
Jeezze :scratch
When I started this thread it was about the passing of an actor, an actor that I enjoyed seeing in movies- and now gone.
I don't know how it turned into the "I know more about addiction than you do thread".
Personal attacks about ones ability to Google/confirm information that is way off the topic will not be tolerated.
If you don't have the ability to make a post without belittling another- skip it.
Last warning.
Gary

"Choicers"

that might be oversimplifying it a bit. I understand you premise, but addicts are seldom referred to as "choicers" :D

I understand your point, as well. The mere definition of the word speaks of the inability to free oneself from the grasp of such an affliction.

My point is that there are many crossroads in life that people encounter, wherein there is an alternative path or "choice" involved. Our society appears to excuse all forms of bad judgement (choices) as beyond the control of the individual and are, therefore, unpreventable.

We have traffic signs that warn us of danger. If one fails to heed their warnings, are we say the "Stop, bridge out ahead," sign is to be blamed if the driver ignores it, "chooses" to proceed and plunges over the cliff? Do we campaign for better driver education, so future drivers will avoid such perils? Do we blame the driver's upbringing if he was raised in Kansas and never saw or was cognizant of mountains, cliff and perilous heights? Do we rush to equip all people with eyeglasses so they can better see the road ahead?

Those solutions are similar to what our society advocates about drug addiction and just like the traffic sign example solutions, they won't work. Philip Seymour Hoffman died tragically and it is a great loss to his family, friends and fans. Yes he was an "addict," but there was a point in his life that he made a "choice." Just like the driver who chose to proceed over the bridge that was out, regardless of the inherent danger ahead, Philip Seymour Hoffman chose to inject himself wih heroin, regardless of that inherent danger. He could have chosen not to stick the needle in his arm that very first time. After that initial bad judgement (choice) with heroin, he became an addict.

Bill

Back