Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

If he had died from cancer or cerebral hemorrhage I'm sure everyone would be more sympathetic and less self-righteous. Addiction is very much a disease, and it's remission or progressions can be as mysterious and unpredictable as other fatal diseases.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    That's a very personal opinion, and it is all yours! I was never addicted to drugs, not even cigarettes and I can't really say, but I think calling it "escape" their whatever, is not seeing it quite right. It is more of a holier-than-thou attitude, which is looking down on someone who has a problem that has fatal consequences.

Well your right it is an opinion, and i stand by it. It was a choice he made. Yes I used to smoke..quit some 15 years ago, and yes I sip a good Bourbon, drink a cold beer on occasion.

But given the truth today about hard drugs, it is absolutely stupid to stick a needle in ones arm. { I do understand some need ?? for medical reasons & or pain} I truly hope the best for them.

But once again those that need to escape? From their life , many times a life of privilege , & wealth?. I find sympathy is my last thought.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    OK, I'll bite on the stinkbait that has been cast here.

Have you ever had an addiction? Most folks will reply no,regardless of the truth. It's called denial.

Have you had a member of your family fall to an addiction? Have you had to bury someone you loved due to this addiction?

Have you had to manage a workplace employee's addiction and their impact on others?

Have you had to deal with the repercussions of addiction?

If not, your knowledge base is lacking. Consider yourself lucky.

Yes to all the above, de Nile is a river in Africa and a way of life & death in America today.
    Last edited by MEAirhd; 02-04-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    T. Waits.."Got to get behind the mule.. in the mornin and plow"

R100T'79

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    If he had died from cancer or cerebral hemorrhage I'm sure everyone would be more sympathetic and less self-righteous. Addiction is very much a disease, and it's remission or progressions can be as mysterious and unpredictable as other fatal diseases.

It is a decease that comes from choice..in most cases. And that is not being self-righteous just honest.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    It is a decease that comes from choice..in most cases. And that is not being self-righteous just honest.
    Well he became deceased from a choice...I'll give you that.

You may want to do some readin' about addiction and disease . Rarely a difference in spite of your honest o-pinion.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

about addiction, some of us can try alcohol, cocaine, barbiturates, gambling, and it is not an issue. Others are not so lucky. It is not a matter of willpower, intelligence, weakness or wisdom. And it strikes across all stratum of society.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I have seen rally pictures and I would say 80% of the people that attend are addicts, and they will likely die from their addiction, and although it is quite obvious to others, and themselves few will admit it, seek help or be able to stop themselves.

Before casting stones, post up your height/weight and BP, so we know if you are an addict to food, sugar, salt, and are intentionally killing yourself, one hamburger at a time.

Just saying, before you call out others, and disrespect them for an illness MOST of the US population has, you should look in the mirror.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I was sad when I read the news this morning; I really enjoyed his work. Some artists pay a heavy price for their talents.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I have to remind myself sometimes that posts such as this say a whole lot more about the poster than the subject at hand.

Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

It is a disease.
    Of the MIND AND THE BODY.
    For those of you who have not heard the truth from the addicts and alcoholics.
    Cancer and other such diseases are no such thing.
    dc

None of us know how we would react to the pressures and demands that go along with celebrity and substantial wealth. You are always "on ", can never go out in public without drawing attention and receive a constant stream of demands for your time, money and attention. The few times I've encountered a celebrity in public (Harrison Ford, Robert Duval and Joe DiMaggio and a few others) I actually felt sorry for them in a small way.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Not only that, but with all the wackos threatening them and the stalkers and such, most times I've met a few celebs they at first had the deer in the headlights look until they were reasonably sure I wasn't a threat.
    All except for Heavyweight Champion Larry Holmes, I got the feeling he wasn't in the least worried about me.

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Addictions are the dark side of the things we use to celebrate and reward ourselves for the good things and times in our lives. They are the familiar club we use to punish ourselves for the the bad. In between those extremes the addict fights the physical components of addiction while navigating life between the problems at either extreme.

In the interviews of Hoffman I saw prior to his death he was candid about his long history of dealing with addiction. In some he was clearly clean and proud of the fact. In others, despite careful lighting, the struggle was clearly casting a shadow on his responses.

Hoffman was a brilliant actor. We have the body of that work to look back at on Netflix, DVDs and late night cable. HIs family and friends enjoyed the company of that brilliant actor while dealing in personal ways with the flaw of his addiction. Now they have to must deal with his death.

Heroine is making a comeback as a major drug problem in cities, suburbs and elsewhere across the nation. It was the drug of choice this time for Hoffman. The myriad of other temptations from recreational drugs to legitimate prescription drugs prescribed for illnesses that go away but the need for the medication just won?t, are there for the rest of us.

Addiction can directly strike any of our lives or those of the people we know and love. Unfortunately, statistics suggest it will rather than might no matter how much self righteous personal and emotional ATGATT we try to armour ourselves with. When it does I hope you or I will be able to master the balances among compassion, understanding, tough love and the simple hassles of daily life while trying to keep the bike of an addicted life up right and the black side down.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I never walked a mile in his mocassins, so I won't judge him, or the choices he made.

However, I did spend 26 years in emergency services, and frequently saw the aftermath of the disease of alcoholism / addiction. Frankly, even though my dad was an alcoholic, I could never understand how one could become hooked so powerfully on a substance.

I became somewhat enlightened following my 4th angioplasty. In those days the recovery meant lying flat (no pillow, etc) on your back for 8 to 12 hours. I'd warned the nurse on duty that it was likely I would have problems doing this, she refused to administer anything more than a mild pain med. Five hours after surgery the back pain increased to a point that I started moving and stitches in my femoral artery ripped out, heavy bleeding ensued. The doctor then showed up, ordered a special pain drug, and ten seconds later I was on cloud nine. Frankly, I felt SO good, it would have been easy to tip over to an addiction to powerful drugs. Managed to get through this pretty well...and it gave some insight about drug addiction not previously considered.

So, who knows how/why Mr Hoffman got exposed to the disease of drug addiction? All I can be sure of, is that the world has lost an enormously talented actor. I'm sorry for his loss...
    Bill Johnston