• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

Oldnslow
"Do you know he was an 'addict'."
There is no such thing as a social heroine user.
There is a social drinker, not an alcoholic, who can go and have a drink or two in the society of others, and go home and have no further desire to go any further.
There is no such counterpart in the world of heroine.
dc

Not so. I've known more than a couple of people who used heroin only occasionally and never became addicted. They could go for extended periods without using the drug. For every drug, from alcohol to morphine there are many different reactions. I was on heavy doses of morphine for six months and never became addicted. My brother was on it for a few weeks and did become addicted.

From ignorance to insightful.

Not so. I've known more than a couple of people who used heroin only occasionally and never became addicted. They could go for extended periods without using the drug. For every drug, from alcohol to morphine there are many different reactions. I was on heavy doses of morphine for six months and never became addicted. My brother was on it for a few weeks and did become addicted.

I for one, do not want this post closed. I think every comment I have seen comes with experience, or lack there of and certainly, views narrow and broad.

Time for a new post? Addiction: Illness or excuse?

Personal story to bring this back into focus. Mr. Hoffman has been to Winnipeg a few times. I think it was about six or so years ago and they were doing the filmy/artisty thing that they do. F--K it was cold and the body just wasn't working. The genset on the truck that does the watchamacallit for the set crapped the bed. I get called, oh my, I get to miss beer o'clock, again.

So I'm the man, the dieselyoda, I can get any diesel to run, even if it runs long enough to say, "that wasn't a good idea, I think we should stand back now."

All in all, I look at a block of ice and can see that it's a piece of cake. It's just froze up. I guess the artsy kinda guys kept thinking green and shutting it down to save on their carbon footprint. A little good old fashioned Isopropanol, moonshine to yooze in the south, a new filter, should be good to go. One small problem, fuel in the tank came from somewhere other than frozen Canada, likely, the southern US.

I can't get the damn thing to run hard enough to build power and some a---ole walks up to me and says, "whatch dooing?"

"Can't you see? I'm freezing my underpaid --s off trying to get this thing to run."

"Did you play with that doomahickey over there?"

"F--k o--"

"Sure, sure, I'm just going over the canteen trailer where it's warm and the coffee is good."

About two minutes later, than man had a coffee for me and said, "we are screwed for the day now, take your time."

So who was this "a---ole" that brought the coffee? Hoffman???

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
It seems like some people think that their opinion is more important or correct than others' especially if it is opposite of their's . Maybe you should practice what you preached about keeping your mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say about others. Oh, and I'm sorry if this offends anyone.

Never said my opinion was more important, just the more polite one. Self-riotous, yes maybe.

I more look at it this way, The knock out game was the big news a while ago, where someone would attack a defenseless person. I look at the condescending attitudes, aired in a public forum, in much the same vein, and if I saw someone getting physically attacked, I would come to the defense of that person too.

Paint me with the same brush of an intolerant person if you wish, but my intolerance is against a conscious effort to attack a defenseless person.

A person's opinion may not be right, popular, or PC but just because your's is different than their's does not make your's right either. Your opinion may be seen as condescending to tothers who have different views than your's. On one hand you say that you want people to come to this forum and discuss things in a civil manner, which Ron did, then you attack and critisize him for stating his opinion. He was not rude to anyone here but merely stated how he felt about a subject. For that he gets accused of baiting and argueing and being a less than righteous person. It seems like you are allowed to have whatever opinion you want here as long as you agree with it. I don't see where Ron did anything against the posting guidelines but to me it seems that you and others did. You attacked a person simply because of his stated opinion on something. It's no wonder why many people don't post here anymore, including usually myself. It is the self-righteous, PC, better than you attitude of some here that keeps them away. You and others here should just post your views on the given subject and not attack and critisize others for doing the same.
I'm done here, not going to feed your hog anymore either.

This is addressed to EVERYONE:

PLEASE!
If you have an issue: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES (Have you REALLY read them?) http://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?...tingguidelines

In Part:

I. User Conduct and Posting Policy

Concerns and Complaints

Moderator actions are final, and moderators are not to be harassed either publicly or via PM. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly by a moderator, then your course of action is to bring the issue to the attention of the Forum Liaison at liaison@bmwmoa.org. It will help to have a complete explanation of your thoughts with links to specific threads and posts, so that the liaison can get an understanding of your side of the issue.

If you see a posting that you feel is inappropriate and want to bring it to the moderation team's attention, please do not try to do this by posting in the thread. Instead, at the bottom left of every posting is a blue exclamation mark . Click on this button and write a short statement indicating the problem you perceive with the post. The button is also available in the private message (PM) system, and you can report unwanted PMs to the moderators, too. The moderation team will receive and review your report. Please have some patience, as the moderators are volunteers and it may take a while before they have an opportunity to check it out.

Your issues should be taken up with the FORUM LIASON NOT continually posted on the forum. (Has anyone actually contacted him???)

We have received NUMEROUS complaints about SEVERAL posters recently in this and the "Closed Thread" thread. If the tone and content don't change our next step according to the GUIDELINES is:

II. Suspension of Posting Privileges

We don't take suspending posting privileges lightly, but we are also serious about maintaining a friendly and fraternal atmosphere on the forum. If a user threatens that with violations of these posting guidelines, they may have their posting privileges suspended.

The forum software provides a facility called infractions. The basic idea is that moderators can issue an infraction against a user that violates the posting guidelines. Infractions build up points, and when the point total reaches certain levels, the user is automatically banned. The length of time a ban lasts depends on how many points the user has acquired. The points also expire after a while, so a user's point total will tend to return to zero.

You can view your own history and status by clicking on the User CP link at the top of every forum page. Only you and the moderators can see this information.

It is possible to become permanently banned from the forum when enough points are acquired in a short enough period. The user will remain banned until such a time as the BMW MOA Board of Directors, acting on a petition by the banned user for the probationary return of posting privileges, approves of the probationary lifting of the suspension.

The point totals that lead to banning, and the length of a ban, are subject to occasional revision. Currently, they are:

Point Total Length of Ban
10 Points 2 Days
13 Points 7 Days
16 Points 2 Weeks
18 Points 1 Month
20 Points 3 Months
25 Points Permanent
Moderators have complete freedom to assign points and their expiration length. Typically, they are assigned according to perceived severity of the infraction, between 2 and 5 points, lasting for 1-2 months. Users with a history of infractions or who egregiously violate the guidelines can receive a greater number of points with longer expiration times. All moderation actions are final, subject to review by the Forum Liaison.

PLEASE, EVERYONE, just take it down a notch or two. Resist the urge for tit for tat useless oneupsmanship and the moderators can and will back out of the picture.

Last edited:
Looked at from 40,000 feet, I see the same stuff in thread after thread after thread. That is, some people state strong opinions and others think them rude or impolite (or insert your own word for something you don't like) and complain, and then the moderator(s) attempt to enforce some level of civility or rule following.

Some (most? all?) speak their minds as they would around the campfire. Some speak as though they are addressing their prim and proper elderly church-going maiden aunt and consider anything more colorful to be cause for punishment, while others may swear and ruffle a few feathers but probably think that since we're all friends here, that nobody will take it too seriously.

I tend to fall more in that latter category, but I wish people would simply allow for the human diversity that our ranks include. That means that some may rub you the wrong way and others will not. We ARE all club members and therefore at least nominally friends here, so why not live and let live? The strictness here makes the place pretty boring most of the time.

Argueing about strong opinions usually goes nowhere, especially through a keyboard. Nobody's opinion gets changed, they just end up disliking their opponent more.

Unfortunately, some of us are argument addicts. We just HAVE to get the last word in (even if the horse is LONG dead). That is why the guidelines and the moderators must step in occasionally.

There are many forums (even BMW related) that allow or promote a more argumentative atmosphere. The MOA has chosen not to be one of those.

I tend to fall more in that latter category, but I wish people would simply allow for the human diversity that our ranks include. That means that some may rub you the wrong way and others will not. We ARE all club members and therefore at least nominally friends here, so why not live and let live? The strictness here makes the place pretty boring most of the time.

Emoto -

It seems that doesn't work in practice. You've probably read about the failed attempts to let people have a bit more open discussions, as in the Tavern on the Screen and Don't Go There forums from the past. You're right, we have a fairly diverse crowd here. Mostly guys, few (and fewer women), some kids looking over shoulders, who knows what kind of guests looking in. It's a pretty hard line to establish in order to allow these continued discussions. If the line allows too many people to get rubbed the wrong way, the forum gets pretty thin for participants. If the line is closer to being a bit more strict, then yes, it might tend to be boring but people can have a decent time here discussion a whole range of things. The distance between these two lines can be fairly large and may move a bit. Us moderators of course have our own built in sensitivities and value system...we've been recently accused of that. Wow, we're human!! We strive to be consistent, but that is very difficult from one year to the next, one thread to the next, because it's a nuanced thing that pushes the line one way or the other. You can't use a hard rule to make a decision on any given post...we have to use our collective understanding and evaluation of everything to make a judgment. We're trying to do the right thing for the larger group of forum members. IMO.

Emoto -

It seems that doesn't work in practice. You've probably read about the failed attempts to let people have a bit more open discussions, as in the Tavern on the Screen and Don't Go There forums from the past. You're right, we have a fairly diverse crowd here. Mostly guys, few (and fewer women), some kids looking over shoulders, who knows what kind of guests looking in. It's a pretty hard line to establish in order to allow these continued discussions. If the line allows too many people to get rubbed the wrong way, the forum gets pretty thin for participants. If the line is closer to being a bit more strict, then yes, it might tend to be boring but people can have a decent time here discussion a whole range of things. The distance between these two lines can be fairly large and may move a bit. Us moderators of course have our own built in sensitivities and value system...we've been recently accused of that. Wow, we're human!! We strive to be consistent, but that is very difficult from one year to the next, one thread to the next, because it's a nuanced thing that pushes the line one way or the other. You can't use a hard rule to make a decision on any given post...we have to use our collective understanding and evaluation of everything to make a judgment. We're trying to do the right thing for the larger group of forum members. IMO.

I do get that all of us, including the mods have our hearts in the right place and try to do the right thing. That is one of the reasons I never take offense at forum posts. :groovy

OMG! I'm soooooooo happy I gave up admin/modding on internet motorcycle forums!

These types of "discussions" can work well around the camp fire with good friends at the end of a riding day, not on the internet.

Good job mods, thank you

These types of "discussions" can work well around the camp fire with good friends at the end of a riding day, not on the internet.

Good job mods, thank you

Thanks! :blush

Voni
sMiling

Unfortunately, some of us are argument addicts. We just HAVE to get the last word in (even if the horse is LONG dead). That is why the guidelines and the moderators must step in occasionally.

So isn't that exactly what you are doing with this post? You said "some of us are argument addicts" so I guess that means you also. Are you posting as an ordinary member or as a forum administrator? I don't see how some administrators can continually take off and put on their "moderator hats" and leave their personal bias out of it. If you are going to moderate a thread then don't take part in the discussion in it and don't give what is perceived immunity to other posters with similar views to yours

:

Good job mods, thank you

and thank you as well

Cabin fever is an idiomatic term, first recorded in 1918,[1] for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in a small space, with nothing to do for an extended period. Cabin fever describes the extreme irritability and restlessness a person may feel in these situations.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_fever

I first heard the term in Alaska.

Harry

So who was this "a---ole" that brought the coffee? Hoffman???

Phillip Seymour Hoffman handed me a coffee, maybe him, waved at me and about two hours later I had good fuel in the tank and, pushed the master on and all hell broke loose. At least that's what it looked like to me. Big fricking lights and something on an overhead boom starting swinging. After all was said and done, I thought he was just another roady as he waved goodbye.

I yelled something rather rude, "make sure that button on a fur coat reaches past your zipper otherwise you'll just pee down your leg."

The next day, the production manager called and asked me to drop in and double check. The vehicle wrangler told me that PSH got a good giggle about the Canadianisms he learned that night. I assume the roady was PSH because it sure looked like him from the movie. I really don't know for certain because, well, it was cold and we all look the same bundled up.

Whether you choose to see or choose not to, addiction is in our faces everyday. I for one, have become chemical dependent upon a drug that reduces tremors I experience from PD. I can't stop it or the tremor becomes unbearable.

I could say that I'm addicted to alcohol but I find I can turn it off, when I choose to. I know some that can't. I like my beers, at the end of the day, with friends, when I'm feeling sorry for myself, when I have reason to celebrate, watching hockey or it just feels like the right time to have beering. I have no reason to turn it off because it doesn't harm me or the people around me.

It's difficult for me at my age to pass judgement upon somebody else as I have seen and experienced so much in my life that I realize, I ain't the swiftest goose in the flock and I sure ain't the smarterer one of the bunch. There is no way, in my opinion, that any one person can gain enough experience to be able to pass judgement upon another.

Back