• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

about addiction, some of us can try alcohol, cocaine, barbiturates, gambling, and it is not an issue. Others are not so lucky. It is not a matter of willpower, intelligence, weakness or wisdom. And it strikes across all stratum of society.

I have seen rally pictures and I would say 80% of the people that attend are addicts, and they will likely die from their addiction, and although it is quite obvious to others, and themselves few will admit it, seek help or be able to stop themselves.

Before casting stones, post up your height/weight and BP, so we know if you are an addict to food, sugar, salt, and are intentionally killing yourself, one hamburger at a time.

Just saying, before you call out others, and disrespect them for an illness MOST of the US population has, you should look in the mirror.

I was sad when I read the news this morning; I really enjoyed his work. Some artists pay a heavy price for their talents.

It is a decease that comes from choice..in most cases. And that is not being self-righteous just honest.

I have to remind myself sometimes that posts such as this say a whole lot more about the poster than the subject at hand.

Voni

It is a disease.
Of the MIND AND THE BODY.
For those of you who have not heard the truth from the addicts and alcoholics.
Cancer and other such diseases are no such thing.
dc

None of us know how we would react to the pressures and demands that go along with celebrity and substantial wealth. You are always "on ", can never go out in public without drawing attention and receive a constant stream of demands for your time, money and attention. The few times I've encountered a celebrity in public (Harrison Ford, Robert Duval and Joe DiMaggio and a few others) I actually felt sorry for them in a small way.

Not only that, but with all the wackos threatening them and the stalkers and such, most times I've met a few celebs they at first had the deer in the headlights look until they were reasonably sure I wasn't a threat.
All except for Heavyweight Champion Larry Holmes, I got the feeling he wasn't in the least worried about me. :lol

Addictions are the dark side of the things we use to celebrate and reward ourselves for the good things and times in our lives. They are the familiar club we use to punish ourselves for the the bad. In between those extremes the addict fights the physical components of addiction while navigating life between the problems at either extreme.

In the interviews of Hoffman I saw prior to his death he was candid about his long history of dealing with addiction. In some he was clearly clean and proud of the fact. In others, despite careful lighting, the struggle was clearly casting a shadow on his responses.

Hoffman was a brilliant actor. We have the body of that work to look back at on Netflix, DVDs and late night cable. HIs family and friends enjoyed the company of that brilliant actor while dealing in personal ways with the flaw of his addiction. Now they have to must deal with his death.

Heroine is making a comeback as a major drug problem in cities, suburbs and elsewhere across the nation. It was the drug of choice this time for Hoffman. The myriad of other temptations from recreational drugs to legitimate prescription drugs prescribed for illnesses that go away but the need for the medication just won?t, are there for the rest of us.

Addiction can directly strike any of our lives or those of the people we know and love. Unfortunately, statistics suggest it will rather than might no matter how much self righteous personal and emotional ATGATT we try to armour ourselves with. When it does I hope you or I will be able to master the balances among compassion, understanding, tough love and the simple hassles of daily life while trying to keep the bike of an addicted life up right and the black side down.

I never walked a mile in his mocassins, so I won't judge him, or the choices he made.

However, I did spend 26 years in emergency services, and frequently saw the aftermath of the disease of alcoholism / addiction. Frankly, even though my dad was an alcoholic, I could never understand how one could become hooked so powerfully on a substance.

I became somewhat enlightened following my 4th angioplasty. In those days the recovery meant lying flat (no pillow, etc) on your back for 8 to 12 hours. I'd warned the nurse on duty that it was likely I would have problems doing this, she refused to administer anything more than a mild pain med. Five hours after surgery the back pain increased to a point that I started moving and stitches in my femoral artery ripped out, heavy bleeding ensued. The doctor then showed up, ordered a special pain drug, and ten seconds later I was on cloud nine. Frankly, I felt SO good, it would have been easy to tip over to an addiction to powerful drugs. Managed to get through this pretty well...and it gave some insight about drug addiction not previously considered.

So, who knows how/why Mr Hoffman got exposed to the disease of drug addiction? All I can be sure of, is that the world has lost an enormously talented actor. I'm sorry for his loss...

I have to remind myself sometimes that posts such as this say a whole lot more about the poster than the subject at hand.

Voni

So without knowing me,..you have decided that I am something less? because I speak the truth as i see it ?

Using that logic, how is there any difference between us ?

Did you ever consider that perhaps a 'tough-love' approach toward folks like him that are still alive.....may be more productive & positive than the warm & fuzzy approach? Perhaps if they received less understanding & kid-glove approach to their actions. And were reminded of just what their lifestyle can lead too / [is] leading too ?....they might see that a change is needed...?

Lost my best friend to suicide almost 20 years ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that event and suicide in general.
If my comments seem harsh or offend, I apologize.

Peace

.......................... Did you ever consider that perhaps a 'tough-love' approach toward folks like him that are still alive.....may be more productive & positive than the warm & fuzzy approach? Perhaps if they received less understanding & kid-glove approach to their actions. And were reminded of just what their lifestyle can lead too / [is] leading too ?....they might see that a change is needed...?

Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead. If you truly believe your words and tough love approach could save someone, there are thousands of organizations begging for help, of any kind. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, but to put it out there in a public forum is crass, and as Voni said, tells more about you.

I said before, what is your weight/height, cholesterol, BP?? Are you an addict to food?? Can you stop? If you or someone you know dies of illnesses associated with poor eating habits, would you be offended if someone went on a public forum and said they committed suicide, or called them out for being overweight?

I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. If we all practiced this, the MOD's would be ecstatic!

Lost my best friend to suicide almost 20 years ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that event and suicide in general.
If my comments seem harsh or offend, I apologize.

Peace

Who said it was a suicide???

I lost 2 uncles and a brother-in-law, who was also my best friend, to addiction, primarily of alcohol. My youngest son is now struggling with it. If you take someone who has a tendency towards addiction then give them wealth, it makes fighting that addiction even harder.

Even after all that, I don't really have much insight into drug or alcohol addiction because I don't struggle with it myself. But I know it exists and I also know that it's more than a simple choice to make or not to make.

I thought Mr. Hoffman was a good actor, but wasn't really a huge fan. He was only 46 years old, and left loved ones, so my heart goes out to the survivors and I hope he is truly resting in peace. I'm not going to judge him, or look down on him because of how he lived and eventually died.

Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead. If you truly believe your words and tough love approach could save someone, there are thousands of organizations begging for help, of any kind. You are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, but to put it out there in a public forum is crass, and as Voni said, tells more about you.

I said before, what is your weight/height, cholesterol, BP?? Are you an addict to food?? Can you stop? If you or someone you know dies of illnesses associated with poor eating habits, would you be offended if someone went on a public forum and said they committed suicide, or called them out for being overweight?

I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. If we all practiced this, the MOD's would be ecstatic!

"Well I guess some of us were just taught better manners, and were taught to not speak of ill of the dead."

So you speaking ill of me,..for my speaking my point of view,...is good manners because i am alive ?...Got It!

My personal stats. have nothing to do with this, but yes I'm older picked up a few pounds, BP is fine, and no I am not addicted to food...or anything.

"I was taught, that if I had nothing good to say, keep my mouth shut. "

OK lets try this ; So Mr Hoffman you're going to fill a syringe with a bunch of crap , known to kill...then you're going to stick the needle in your arm & push the plunger ?.......that's nice...have a nice day.

Yeah that sure points out the error of his ways....and will no doubt save his life.

So if I have nothing nice to say and am quiet I leave you to vent your self righteousness all over my forum. What does that say?

Voni

Self righteous? You mean you think he seems more self righteous than you? It didn't seem like it to me.
Never speak ill of the dead? What is that? A superstition? Or an old wives tale?
I once heard the moon was made out of green cheese.
Is truth speaking ill? Of course, to some people.
I have no idea who this guy (thread title) was.
And I now have no desire to know.
dc

Oh, have a nice day.

Come on folks, this is starting to escalate towards personal attacks for our beliefs, opinions, and even things not said. If we were in the same room, I suspect we'd have a great time discussing this issue. Please, dial it back. Thanks...

So you speaking ill of me,..for my speaking my point of view,...is good manners because i am alive ?...Got It!.......................

I did not speak ill of you, I only stated, IMHO, what I was taught was a better set of values, one of understanding and tolerance.

I also said that is is noble to try and help those living, and several here have made comments, in an attempt to cause you some self reflection, we appear to have been unsuccessful, as you continue to bait and argue.

All I can say is when your time comes, I hope that there are people around that sing your praises, and your family does not encounter someone crass enough to proclaim you as an angry, intolerant and bitter man. In real life you might be a heck of a guy, but to others, at this point, you appear to be the later. Luckily I am polite enough to keep my negative thoughts to myself at that juncture.

Back