• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Philip Seymour Hoffman- dead at 46

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Just learned that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found dead at the age of 46. I first noticed the actor playing opposite Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy in "Nobody's Fool". With that behind him it seemed that the roles that he accepted, really added to the films he stared in. Sorta from memory, there was "Twister", "Boogie Nights" and a couple of my favorites- "Almost Famous" and "Charlie Wilson's War". Some of his later work included "The Savages" and "Capote" for which he won an Oscar.
As with many of the "talented", "brilliant", actors of our time, it appears he had his demons.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/

OM

He will be missed. His work in "Capote", "Savages", "The Quartet" and many more was some of the best acting there is IMHO.

It is a shame. Actors, appears many can only find "calm" when they are being someone else. When the applause pauses the abuse begins?

Was a local boy for me, raised in Rochester NY. As far as stupid games, addiction is more of illness than a game, and yes ruins a lot of lives, from Alcohol, to Gambling, and maybe for some here riding.

A lot of people have demons, I will just feel sorry for a life lost and a family left behind, the means is a separate issue.

I remember him in "Scent of a Woman".
Was very convincing as a preppie a**hole.
Nutrod in "Twister".
Last Sundance photo is very telling, isn't it?

I have a difficult time mourning death by suicide. It's a tragic waste and all I want to do is grab that person by the collar and shake them.
Beyond the whole go to Hell, go directly to Hell, do not pass Go . . . .
Sad

I spent a large part of my life thinking "Poor stupid bastards" when I would see a drug overdose victim, and I saw quite a few as a police officer. Then one night I was given a cocktail of three narcotics in my IV in the hospital and I suddenly realized why they chased that high. It scared the hell out of me, that peaceful, everything is roses feeling it gave me.
I realized how they could very easily become addicted. It IS a tragic disease.

To quote Neil Young: "...and every junkie's like a setting sun."

I have seen and known too many alkies and junkies and seen the effects of their choices on those around them to have any sympathy for anyone other than the people they hurt, although typically, they let it happen.

They all either clean up their acts or end up dead or institutionalized. I believe in letting people make their own choices (even if they are bad decisions) about what to put into their bodies, but I also believe in letting them bear the responsibility for those choices. I have zero sympathy because they all know the possibilities.

Hoffman was a great actor; I really enjoyed his work a lot.

Sshhhhh! The mods might hear you discussing off limit topics like drugs, suicide etc., and shut the thread down like they did on the discussion of Pete Seeger.......big brother is watching. :brow

Sshhhhh! The mods might hear you discussing off limit topics like drugs, suicide etc., and shut the thread down like they did on the discussion of Pete Seeger.......big brother is watching. :brow

This thought crossed my mind, these threads can easily cross three lanes and hit the guardrail. I have no idea who the dead guy was. Will miss Pete though.

really? this thread was STARTED by a member who happens to be a moderator. :brow

Keep it civil and within the guidelines and all the members here can participate.

Any death is a tragedy for someone, please be respectful regardless of your moral/religious views.
He was a talented actor who couldn't get control of an addiction. I am sad for his family to lose him in such a needless way. He has children ya know?

Well here again is one of those topics I am interested in discussing with like minded ? people...fellow motorcycle riders/bmw owners. Not only to share my view, but to consider others as well.

I am not a person that needs to be right on every topic, and am for sure a person that has been proven wrong on many occasion.

Now do I say what I think ? or sit on my tongue ?

Someone mentioned the brilliance of the actor. I fail to see brilliance in a person that would take a syringe filled with crap, and stick the needle in their arm, in an attempt to escape their horrible world of privilege & fame ???

It seems he and others want to escape their lives....well he did.:brow

The cries poor,poor me from this segment of our society has worn very thin. I simply find it hard to care any longer.
The loved ones left behind do however have my sympathy...and hope for a better tomorrow.

Someone mentioned the brilliance of the actor. I fail to see brilliance in a person that would take a syringe filled with crap, and stick the needle in their arm, in an attempt to escape their horrible world of privilege & fame ???

It seems he and others want to escape their lives....well he did.:brow

That's a very personal opinion, and it is all yours! I was never addicted to drugs, not even cigarettes and I can't really say, but I think calling it "escape" their whatever, is not seeing it quite right. It is more of a holier-than-thou attitude, which is looking down on someone who has a problem that has fatal consequences.

OK, I'll bite on the stinkbait that has been cast here.

Have you ever had an addiction? Most folks will reply no,regardless of the truth. It's called denial.

Have you had a member of your family fall to an addiction? Have you had to bury someone you loved due to this addiction?

Have you had to manage a workplace employee's addiction and their impact on others?

Have you had to deal with the repercussions of addiction?

If not, your knowledge base is lacking. Consider yourself lucky.

Do you smoke,drink, or gamble? just a few addictions that some folks just do not put in the drug category because that's what they were brought up with. They can have the same impact to others.

Some folks say it's a choice...yeah maybe the first time you were curious...some folks are wired so they can say no more after the first time, some wired to say where's more. It's a disease and not just a bad decision.

Yes, seems actors/musicians/creative folks fall prey to this disease and it's poor choices and get the front page treatment. How shocking for his children/parents to have the details on the 6 o'clock news.The needle sticking out of his arm sells stories...it's not news and it's prying into private affairs,regardless of status.

It's not wealth dependent as many criminals ply their trade looking for the next high. Average Jills and Joes in all walks of society have these struggles. Fortunately(not fortunate at all really) they do not have the media scrutiny.

Yes, he was a brilliant actor...watch his films.

I'm done here

RIP PSH...finally

If he had died from cancer or cerebral hemorrhage I'm sure everyone would be more sympathetic and less self-righteous. Addiction is very much a disease, and it's remission or progressions can be as mysterious and unpredictable as other fatal diseases.

That's a very personal opinion, and it is all yours! I was never addicted to drugs, not even cigarettes and I can't really say, but I think calling it "escape" their whatever, is not seeing it quite right. It is more of a holier-than-thou attitude, which is looking down on someone who has a problem that has fatal consequences.

Well your right it is an opinion, and i stand by it. It was a choice he made. Yes I used to smoke..quit some 15 years ago, and yes I sip a good Bourbon, drink a cold beer on occasion.

But given the truth today about hard drugs, it is absolutely stupid to stick a needle in ones arm. { I do understand some need ?? for medical reasons & or pain} I truly hope the best for them.

But once again those that need to escape? From their life , many times a life of privilege , & wealth?. I find sympathy is my last thought.

OK, I'll bite on the stinkbait that has been cast here.

Have you ever had an addiction? Most folks will reply no,regardless of the truth. It's called denial.

Have you had a member of your family fall to an addiction? Have you had to bury someone you loved due to this addiction?

Have you had to manage a workplace employee's addiction and their impact on others?

Have you had to deal with the repercussions of addiction?

If not, your knowledge base is lacking. Consider yourself lucky.

Yes to all the above, de Nile is a river in Africa and a way of life & death in America today.

Last edited:
If he had died from cancer or cerebral hemorrhage I'm sure everyone would be more sympathetic and less self-righteous. Addiction is very much a disease, and it's remission or progressions can be as mysterious and unpredictable as other fatal diseases.

It is a decease that comes from choice..in most cases. And that is not being self-righteous just honest.

It is a decease that comes from choice..in most cases. And that is not being self-righteous just honest.

Well he became deceased from a choice...I'll give you that.

You may want to do some readin' about addiction and disease . Rarely a difference in spite of your honest o-pinion.

Back