• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clean up the rear wheel hub 78 R 80/7

yankeeone

Hi , somewhere on one of the rebuilds that are on this site and ADV Riders, I read about using Aluminum Brightener from NAPA, I got some and it is Phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid and one other ingredient. The rear hub has a lot of oxidize. Any thoughts.

I've had pretty good luck with a Flitz Ball Kit. That and a cordless drill worked well. The kit is available at many automotive stores.
OM

just did this on my 100GS. scrub withmild detergent and water. I picked up a few detail bruch kits at auto store along with some Never Dull and steel wool. the brushes are soft steel and brass, they do not scratch, they will clean and brighten. I used a light steel wool on spokes then finished hub spokes and rim with Never Dull. They look a lot better now.

I would not use a brass or steel brush. They will both scratch aluminum. I tried a lot of stuff recently and the only thing that worked really well was to use "Noxon" and a stiff nylon bristle brush. You should be able to find both at your local hardware store. The brush i found looks like a mini floor scrub brush, three rows of short bristles in a wooden handle. I even went so far as cutting one of the brushes up into three by three row segments, drilling a hole for a 1/2" dowel on the back side and using it in an electric drill. Saves a lot of elbow grease. After washing the residue from all the scrubbing, follow it up with some never dull. Whatever method you choose you'll have to be patient. No method is quick.

Hi , somewhere on one of the rebuilds that are on this site and ADV Riders, I read about using Aluminum Brightener from NAPA, I got some and it is Phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid and one other ingredient. The rear hub has a lot of oxidize. Any thoughts.

Yeah?that was me. I just worked in one small area (2" X 2") at a time with a toothbrush dipped into a small amount of the brightener then scrubbed away, dry off the brightener then do it again and again, then rinse and dry. move to the next small area.

This stuff works great on the cast aluminum surfaces, keep it off of the polished aluminum surfaces, like the rims, or you will be polishing them again. DAMHIK

….be sure to wear protective gloves, long sleeves and a face shield?as you mentioned, this stuff is acid.

Last edited:
Just did the brake disk hub on the right tonight with my homemade drill scrubber and Noxon. Took about an hour. The one on the left is what it looked like when i started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 98
Godfather, yep thats the thred , I gave the brighter a try, it does work well to even out the color I cant really rinse to well right now , so when it warms up I am going to go at it!

your bike looks great

Godfather, yep thats the thred , I gave the brighter a try, it does work well to even out the color I cant really rinse to well right now , so when it warms up I am going to go at it!

your bike looks great

Thanks, Your bike will look great too!

I used a spray bottle from the dollar store (guess how much it cost?) with water to rinse. It worked well. Give it a go!

Back