• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rollin' by THE GREAT RIVER ROAD to the MOA RALLY... Join the Ride!

Just behind the old jail is what's left of Marion Lake. Marion was a riverboat town and port and the lake was the outlet to the river. Endless floods repeatedly wiped out the town till the leeve was completed about 100 years ago and cut Marion off from the river. Just one of endless stories about livin next to the Father of Waters.

Campground on River 2 Miles from Potosi

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/campgrounds/grant-river-recreation-area-200505

This campground is right on the river so you can watch the boats in the water and the trains that run along the river right from your tent. Run by the Corps of Engineers and has all the amenities that make camping fun. Only challenge might be the number of boats and trains all night long so sleep could be interrupted. National Brewery Museum and Restaurant only 2 miles away.

http://www.potosibrewery.com

One of my favorite places to stop for lunch or dinner along the river located about 5 hours south of the rally site. Great place to eat as well as tour the brewery museum.

I agree... Good stop and food.... Have it added to Waypoint list, which is growing, which is a good thing!

The web site has winter hours...but by July it should change...

Waypoint list is growing!!! I will furnish a GPX file of all these when completed

I will furnish a GPX file of all the River Road Waypoints for your use... I will do this when the list is complete and near rally time.

Attachments

• Waypoint list..1.JPG
    Waypoint list..1.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Waypoint list..2.JPG
    Waypoint list..2.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Waypoint list..3.JPG
    Waypoint list..3.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 173
...and more Waypoints

If you don't see your favorite stop on the Mississippi River.... post as much info as possible or a link and I will add to the master GPX file...
Here just the Blues marker, I say here are the Blues markers, I say baby here are the Blues markers,
First lesson in writing the blues....repeat at least three times...

So here are blues markers along the Missisissippi River.... just part of the 130 or so official markers in Mississippi.

Attachments

• Waypoint list..4.JPG
    Waypoint list..4.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Waypoint list..5.JPG
    Waypoint list..5.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 175
.... I like crossing the river via Ferry... a few remain on the Miss a sip

Check the schedules in advance... many are only operational until certain hours....ask me how I know! It a long way around to the other side if closed. I will again furnish a GPX file of these locations as well. The GPX file in BaseCamp will have some opertional hours in the properties window under NOTES.

Attachments

• Waypoint list 6.JPG
    Waypoint list 6.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Waypoint list 7.JPG
    Waypoint list 7.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 174
Grassroots BMW

One of my favorite BMW caps. Grass Roots BMW. Pin is Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Celebrate Life on the Mississippi. Gotta be the only BMW dealer basically on the Mississippi. I would think a must stop for this ride. :brow

One of my favorite BMW caps. Grass Roots BMW. Pin is Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Celebrate Life on the Mississippi. Gotta be the only BMW dealer basically on the Mississippi. I would think a must stop for this ride. :brow

Yes, and Pat Taylor is more than interested in helping/supporting the ride.

Good place near St Louis on the illinois side

Fast Eddie's Bon Air
1530 East 4th Street
Alton, IL 62002
(618) 462-5532
fasteddiesbonair.com‎

Great bar, great food, lots of motorcycle specific parking, in Alton, Illinois along the Great River Road (or near to it).

I would love to join the group from St Louis, but I'll be leaving on Wednesday afternoon due to work, hopefully getting into Davenport, IA before dark, to start the last leg up the river on Thursday.

You can't go wrong on either side of the river around st Louis. More clear riding on the Illinois side as you have to head out I-70 to catch the River Road on the west side. Nice run on either side to Hannibal.

One of my favorite rides is out west of I-64 into the wine country on Highway 94, and then after a good hour in the twisties and Mark Twain national forest, head up the river to Hannibal, then back down on the Illinois side, with a stop in Grafton for ice cream before heading back across in Alton.

As for good restaurants on the west side, depends on whether you want to avoid the city or not. Good BBQ at Pappy's and Bogart's in the city.

The 20th, 22nd and 23rd are Cardinals night games at Busch stadium against the Dodgers and Tampa Bay for anyone on a different schedule.

Also if there are any solo riders coming through St Louis who need a crash pad for the night prior to Wednesday, I live in St Charles (just off I-70) if you intend to ride the west side of the river, and have a relatively comfy guest room. Unfortunately I can only host one or a couple that don't mind sharing a full-size bed together. I have room in the shed for a bike as well. You can PM with any questions. (I am also in the Anon book coming out)

Rode over to the Memphis and Tennessee Welcome Center in downtown Memphis on Riverside Dr. and they have Great River Road Tennessee brochures; then rode over to the Arkansas State Welcome center in West Memphis, Ar.. They have brochures on the Great River Road Arkansas. Thought some might won't to stop in and get some for info or souvenir.

Back