• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally 2014 a Bust?

miairhead

I kind of amazed that the 2015 Rally is such a big deal: When the 2014 is months away? I guess the 2014 is going to be a bust because in the the 'Midwest' and who the the heck wants one there?
Okay I am being cynical. I just feel at that time a notice of the location, not days of main feature on home page.

I'm looking forward to both, as both put me into some phenomenal riding on the trip there and back. And since Billings is so far from the major population centers I appreciate the advance notice. It gives me time to line up the extra vacation time I'll need; Barley is getting old and I'm trying to lower the number of hours we're moving every day so he has time to enjoy himself and pee on the flowers. :thumb

The midwest is close to many, many members. I believe the rally held in Lima, OH set the record for the largest attendance, although I don't know if that record still stands. I expect a very large turnout in St. Paul, and also expect the buzz about Billings to die down until the fall or winter.

I kind of amazed that the 2015 Rally is such a big deal: When the 2014 is months away? I guess the 2014 is going to be a bust because in the the 'Midwest' and who the the heck wants one there?
Okay I am being cynical. I just feel at that time a notice of the location, not days of main feature on home page.

I don't think its 'cynical' to notice something out of the ordinary and say "Hey - what's up with this?"

Traditionally, the rug was never pulled out from under the upcoming rally planners this early, and I had hoped that the Montana announcement was just a case of being 'outed' by the local Chamber of Commerce in Billings.

However, the more I read, that theory seems to have some holes in it, and may go the way of the Titanic.

Both rallies offer something unique to the club in terms of geography, attractions, population density and distance to target. I wish great success for each site, and agree that Billings was a good selection.

However, with Karol and her crew ramping up the already long hours they are putting in to make St. Paul another MOA success story, I agree - enough about Billings - let's focus on this coming July and all that MN has to offer. :thumb

...Traditionally, the rug was never pulled out from under the upcoming rally planners this early, and I had hoped that the Montana announcement was just a case of being 'outed' by the local Chamber of Commerce in Billings....

I see nothing wrong with everyone knowing several future locations in advance. I would like to know, for instance, where the rallies are planned until, say, 2020. However, I appreciate how much effort that would require of our volunteers. Perhaps "volunteer scouting parties"?

I see nothing wrong with everyone knowing several future locations in advance. I would like to know, for instance, where the rallies are planned until, say, 2020. However, I appreciate how much effort that would require of our volunteers. Perhaps "volunteer scouting parties"?

+1, Gunny; I agree with royce, there is no reasonable need to keep future MOA Rally locations "under wraps"!

It has been MOA policy for quite a few years to announce at the January board meeting the following year's rally location. The policy was a result of members requesting an earlier announcement. Promotion of the the next rally always begins at the current year rally. Following each announcement there are always several days of discussion by members. A time or two we had to delay the announcement until the April meeting because all contracts were not finalized.

As another posting said............Billings can be HOT. I remember back in 1998, after the Missoula Rally........Billings to Sheridan on I-90........toasty. Like the inside of a patio grill with the dial set on high. Sorta kinda like Bloomsburg. However, prior to the Missoula rally, I spent a few delightful days in St. Paul........the weather was great.

So, enjoy the rally in St. Paul, if you can go. Similarly, do the same the the following year.

So is my Kenmore oven at 400 degrees!

HOT is HOT. :laugh

Oh please Kevin, here in Phoenix we don't even take our sweaters off until it gets to 100 degrees! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

2013-07-03-Santa-Clarita-News-Z1-1-1-Its-a-Dry-Heat1.jpg

Well I'm gonna tell you all what...the next several days in Bloomington, IL will have night time lows of -6 to -11 with no warm up in the next 7+ days. I'm ready for WARM!

Cliche though it is, it's still true.

I rode across the country to go to the Vermont rally in 2006 and I can tell you that 120F in Needles, CA was far more bearable than 103F in Joplin, MO. BTW, it rained some in Essex Junction and it was never very warm. I had a great time anyway.

Anyway, the average temperature in Billings in July is 89 (and 57 at night). That's not so hot. If the occasional bout of MOA rally voodoo happens and it's 99, then it'll be hot. So what? Just carry water and wear a hat, and you'll be ok.

Cliche though it is, it's still true.

I rode across the country to go to the Vermont rally in 2006 and I can tell you that 120F in Needles, CA was far more bearable than 103F in Joplin, MO. BTW, it rained some in Essex Junction and it was never very warm. I had a great time anyway.

Anyway, the average temperature in Billings in July is 89 (and 57 at night). That's not so hot. If the occasional bout of MOA rally voodoo happens and it's 99, then it'll be hot. So what? Just carry water and wear a hat, and you'll be ok.

Average July high temp in Bloomsburg PA is 82 with an evening low of 58. So, 7 degrees hotter than Bloomsburg. Toasty.

I moved from the Mojave Desert (FT Irwin) to the interior of Alaska. The delta of the temperature extremes I experienced at the two locations is 180 degrees (+114 / -66). Good thing we drove. If we had flown we might have cracked.

Odd, but in twenty-some years of MOA membership and lots of rallies I can't remember anyone ever complaining about it being COLD, but it seems like no matter where the rally is sited there's gonna be some bitchin' 'bout the HEAT. It's July, what do people expect?? MSP will be great this summer, and while yes, it can be hot and/or humid there, if you want to cool down you have lots of options--say a ride down south on the River Parkway or a side trip to Duluth for Aerostitch or Dylan fans. Or, you can do what I do and rotate between the shaded beer tent and the air-conditioned vendor areas. But taking a ride to cool off is usually a lot cheaper....

Billings will be great too, as there are all kinds of scenic day trips from there--including the Big Horn Mountains, where you can climb to almost 10k ft on some of the best curvy asphalt in the west. Lots of interesting sites to see, like the Big Horn Battlefield and more. It's all good, and I plan on being at both rallies but for now, the focus is on gearing up for Minneapolis.
:clap

Best,

GTRider

Glade to see

I was very glade to see the 2014 rally too was shown on the Home Page. That was my point, yes it is nice the 2015 rally was announced, but to push this year rally to being second is what I found confusing.

I was very glade to see the 2014 rally too was shown on the Home Page. That was my point, yes it is nice the 2015 rally was announced, but to push this year rally to being second is what I found confusing.

Tom

Thanks!!! Billings will be great in 2015 but Check your calendar.......it's 2014, and we have a rally to talk about in July. Mark your calendars for Billings, and set a reminder for 2015. Start planning NOW for St Paul...It's sooner than you think, and we're gonna have a great party!!!:dance:german

Last edited:
2014 - 2015 Rally Locations

There, I was already able to plan my route from the St. Paul rally to the Billing's rally with this advance information :D

Attachments

• St Paul to Billings.jpg
    St Paul to Billings.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 329
Back