• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank Bag

matttcohen23

I am a new 2008 F800ST owner and I am looking for a tank bag that will fit me new bike. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
How do they stay on since the magnetic ones won't work?
Thanks for the help

In the past, on my K bike, I used Velcro which worked out very well, and is removable once you are finished with it. Just takes a little "Goo Gone" or similar product to remove any left over glue. As far as tank bags, I've recently purchased a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag and installed. The front strap loops around the key area, under the plastic and stuff, and the back straps on either side to the frame tubes.... It took a little to center so that the key area and canbus accessory plug are assessable, but once situated, provides a nice bag with map top. They come in several colors, so match it to your bike..... I'll be glad to take a picture later this evening once I get home and post, if you care to see it on my 700GS.....

Congrats on the new bike......:D

Here's some pic's of the G-Loop Fandango tank bag. The main reason I purchased this brand is because the base zips off the bag, so you can remove the bag and take it with you, without having to undo all the fasteners to the tank.....

I am a new 2008 F800ST owner and I am looking for a tank bag that will fit me new bike. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks for the help

BMW makes a tank bag specifically for the F800, but bit pricey. Reason I got it was because it fits so perfectly, plus the quick-release attachment apparatus stays on the bike for convenience (never gets misplaced in the garage).

I tried 3 on my thumper G650GS with a similar sloped tank. I sent back the first two(Held & First Gear), both of which were well made but way tiny and not useful enough after a large Wunderlich for some years, I was spoiled! The one I kept is the Chase Harper that mounts with straps. It's what I'd call a mid size and large enough to be useful and as well made as any I've seen, with out over designed side pockets as some I looked at that also lacked a main compartment of any use. It was reasonably steady/secure with them only but I opted to buy some wide self stick velcro tape(ebay/China) and placed to strips on my center black plastic panel(covers the battery,etc. on my MC) the length of bag & contact glued the two corresponding strips to bottom of tank bag as the rubberized type coating will not stick well to much else. There is a nice, new CH bag similar to what you want lingering on ebay on the cheap! You can call the guy @ CH & he is extremely knowledgeable about what works on what. They are made for a sloped tank. I toyed with the magnet idea but wasn't worth it after much thought,etc.. It has been done but I'm happy as I have mine now with straps & velcro combined in use.
I could have bought several others that would have worked for me-used or new BMW as mentioned here is for sloped tank but not well reviewed & way too much money for a bag thats not the best one out there either. The Wunderlich's designed for your bike are a great choice. There was a used one with a bunch of other same brand stuff with it on ADV. I also saw another one used but new there-both the small Elephant version.

Thanks for the help

First you need to choose a size , what will you be putting in it. I have a 10 liter bag on a '07 800 ST. Second question, will you be using a GPS or cell phone hook up or not? Try rka- luggage.com ,web site. They have two sizes a 10 and a 19 liter bag which have two straps up front and one in back hooking under the seat. Lot of chooses. ;););)

I looked at a lot of different tank bags and ended up getting the Hornig bag via http://f800depot.com/hornig-7l-tank-bag-suction-attached.html. My criteria included wanting a map pocket, but didn't want the tall bag offered by BMW. The Hornig is expandable, but definitely not as big as alternatives. However for my needs, I really like the low profile and I never have had issues with the suction cups and strap attachments.

Back