• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remus exhaust

JerryAttrick

Does anyone know of any published performance numbers for the Remus exhaust system on the 1600? (preferably from an independent source)

Scanned this from Fall 2013 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine. Remus: You gain 5 horsepower and 2 foot lbs. of torque! I love my Remus exhaust!

UCgcLEH.jpg

Those are my Remus exhausts in the middle of the picture below, AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 now has a dozen happy K1600 Owners! Mach Scnell, K16!

Seriously, guys! You may say that I am a dickhead trying to rain on your parade, but.... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque???? You have one of the most powerful touring bikes in existence, and you feel you need to pay THAT much for a change you will actually never realize other than maybe hear?? I spent money on bikes and cars for performance increase and the return on investment has always been somewhat questionable, but never THAT bad. How does that old saying about the fool and his money go...???:scratch

Seriously, guys! You may say that I am a dickhead trying to rain on your parade, but.... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque???? You have one of the most powerful touring bikes in existence, and you feel you need to pay THAT much for a change you will actually never realize other than maybe hear?? I spent money on bikes and cars for performance increase and the return on investment has always been somewhat questionable, but never THAT bad. How does that old saying about the fool and his money go????:scratch

Thanks. That was the info I needed. Nothing in those numbers would get the Visa card out.
BTW, someone suggested that the real benefit comes from the Remus headers. I gather that the graphs were muffler-swap-only. Any data on this?

BMW's middle name ain't "motor" for nothing.

They do not fit exhaust systems that strangle their motors.

Read once an article about a guy racing Airhead in AHMRA and he found stock exhaust the best.

"Performance exhaust" is hype, nothing more.

Actually, I have not seen an aftermarket exhaust that LOOKS better than the stock pipes on my K1600GT. I really like the six exhaust ports. As there usually are a lot of bikes behind me, it leaves no doubt about what just passed them.....:thumb. Give me a real six-into-six, like I have for one of my CBXes, and I may pay $1,000.- for it...just for show.:groovy

... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque?

I didn't get a Remus to pick up any additional power; I just find the stock BMW systems to be too quiet. And I'll take the 11 kilogram weight reduction.

As for the cost, what else am I going to spend $1,500 on? :D

I didn't get a Remus to pick up any additional power; I just find the stock BMW systems to be too quiet. And I'll take the 11 kilogram weight reduction.

As for the cost, what else am I going to spend $1,500 on? :D

+1, Gunny; I like the way you think RINTY, next time you are in Arizona I will buy you a $100 shot of Macallan! jes' sayin' and nuff said, eh!

CRW_4088_Macallan.jpg

BMW's middle name ain't "motor" for nothing.

They do not fit exhaust systems that strangle their motors.

Read once an article about a guy racing Airhead in AHMRA and he found stock exhaust the best.

"Performance exhaust" is hype, nothing more.

I never question their ability. But what they are able to do and what they are permitted to do may be different. Consider the BoosterPlug company doing a thriving business selling a device that performs a congress-ectomy on our bikes.

Tangible benefit of Remus cans is weight savings. Intangible is noise and appearance. On the other hand, Remus headers remove the cat and increase flow, e.g. advertised 20 lbft increase in torque which you can feel. I went with the headers and had the stock cans powder coated black...

Many of us have changed the sound of our stock exhaust, by drilling or punching out the upper and lower holes on the stock mufflers. I started by drilling 1/4 hole, some change in sound, got creative and went to 3/8 sound was even better. Not having a extra long 1/2 drill bit, I used a 1/2 extra ong center punch and gave it a few hits till the crimped end opened up to 1/2 inch. Sound change is very noticeable above 3000 rpm. Weight saving zero, horse power increase zero, COST ZERO, sound GREAT:clap

. On the other hand, Remus headers remove the cat and increase flow, e.g. advertised 20 lbft increase in torque which you can feel. ...

I would be curious to know, where you feel that? Having played with a plethora of bikes and power manipulations that were confirmed (or not) on a dynamometer, I have yet to be able to feel something like a 16% peak torque increase, especially when it is from 119 to 139 lbft at somewhere around 4,000 rpm. I could feel 20 lbft torque increase on my Harley EVO, but that was from 60 to 82 lbft at 2,000 rpm.

Tangible benefit of Remus cans is weight savings. Intangible is noise and appearance. On the other hand, Remus headers remove the cat and increase flow, e.g. advertised 20 lbft increase in torque which you can feel. I went with the headers and had the stock cans powder coated black...

Thanks. That was the answer I needed.

I would be curious to know, where you feel that? Having played with a plethora of bikes and power manipulations that were confirmed (or not) on a dynamometer, I have yet to be able to feel something like a 16% peak torque increase, especially when it is from 119 to 139 lbft at somewhere around 4,000 rpm. I could feel 20 lbft torque increase on my Harley EVO, but that was from 60 to 82 lbft at 2,000 rpm.

I'm about 250lbs and often tour with my wife/luggage. The power at about 5k is much more pronounced with the Remus headers. If you're running "light", e.g. just a rider at 180 lbs, no luggage, etc, then you may not feel much difference. But when you're carrying the weight I am you do. I ride pretty hard ALL the time and with the headers don't have to drop a gear in the mid-range like I use to. The last custom bagger I built had an S&S 124" Twincam, crate motor. It initially dyno'ed at 130 lbft torque. I had the heads ported/flowed and switched to Woods cams. Subsequent dyno was just under 150 lbft. I really felt that! To me, 10% or > torque is very noticeable.

Back